Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Russia had a real golden generation of WTA players from the late '90s through the early '010s... of course it was going to end at some point, and we're well past it. Dasha and Pavs are the best they've had for a few years now. Also don't forget the Russian expats Gavrilova and Putin, who are decent Top 50 players.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Russia had a real golden generation of WTA players from the late '90s through the early '010s... of course it was going to end at some point, and we're well past it. Dasha and Pavs are the best they've had for a few years now. Also don't forget the Russian expats Gavrilova and Putin, who are decent Top 50 players.
Ekaterina Alexandrova, who's one of the highest ranked Russians, is also a sort of émigré, as she's been based in Prague since she was ten. She's originally from Chelyabinsk.

On a more general note, I presume life in Russia is not easy outside the two biggest centres Moscow and St. Petersburg so quite a few Russian families with tennis ambitions have and will continue to succumb to the idea of relocation to a foreign country.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Corrected for u. Yr welcome.
Cute try, boo. My attribution was correct tho.

"We're not critical of [Sharapova]*at all," said*Daria Kasatkina. "For me it's a bit ridiculous. Because this thing what she was using, in Russia almost every child use this. Because it's not*even doping. It’s just vitamins.*That's why Russians are not*doing bad things to her or talking bad about her, because it's just mistake—[though]*I*don't know who made this mistake."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/09/maria-sharapova-meldonium-suspension-performance-enhancing-drugs/69374/

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Speaking of émigré, I don't think Kasatkina's kids will speak other than Slovak and Blinkova's French and there must be more?
Go West - Life is peaceful there.
No, but I sense Soviet area will always remain a spawning pool for sports in general.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Italy was never really a power house in female tennis.
They never had a top10 player until 2008 (Farina Elia was very close before) and in a short period of time they managed to get 4 and all reached Slam finals and even win 2 (plus 3 World Doubles #1). It was a glorious period for italian tennis that has ended and only Errani is still playing.
Yes 1 top100 player is worrying, but they never were a consistent nation producing top 20/30 players.

Actually from the late '90s onwards, apart from the players you mentioned, Italy was quite consistent... Aside from Farina, Schiavone, Errani, Vinci who all reached top 10 (11 for Farina), Italy also had Garbin, Grande, Santangelo who reached top 30, Knapp peaked at 33, Oprandi at 32, Camerin, Brianti, Serra Zanetti all around top 50...

At one point there were consistently 6-7 of them in slam main draws, now barely one :lol:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That's because of money. The best Russian girls (Anisimova, Kenin) play for the US since their parents value money over patriotism.
With due respect, patriotism doesn't do much if you're trying to make a living and raise a family, regardless of whether one of the kids wants to be an elite athlete. There's a reason Russia has a negative birth rate at the moment.

And frankly, given the overwhelming history of state-sponsored doping in the country (note: the national team sports, like athletics or Olympic-specific sports, not the individual sports) I can understand, as a parent, not wanting your kid to get absorbed into that system.

I think all the young women go into figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics now.

They're better sports.
Wrong forum to make that argument, buddy, and also, by what possible measure? There's roughly 200 women who make a living, some of them very nicely, playing tennis on the tour, and another several thousand who make a living teaching, etc.

What's the number of gymnasts or figure skaters who can say that?

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Yeah, Russian women's tennis has gone downhill ! :help:

The 2000s were a very successful time for Russian women's tennis ! :yeah:
Russia used to have many players in Top 20, at one point 6 in Top 10 I think ! :worship:
This really was a GOLDEN GENERATION, starting with the wonderful Anna Kournikova ! :hearts:

Anna Kournikova
Myskina
Sharapova
Petrova
Zvonareva
Safina
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Chakvetadze
Kirilenko
Makarova
Vesnina

Russia had so many impressive and great players ! :worship:
They won Fed Cup several times with a strong team. And now very weak :tape:

Now most of the Russian golden girls are gone/retired and the golden girls left Sharapova, Zvonareva, Kuznetsova, Makarova and Vesnina are too old and close to retirement.
Kasatkina has stagnated. And there are more talented WTA girls with more weapons.
Pav is also getting old. And there were much better things expected from her.
Vikh is overrated and Diatchenko is a normal Top 100 player, not better.
There is hope with Potapova (but she has no big weapons) and some other young girls, like Vroni Kudermetova and maybe Gracheva. But there are already bad surprises with young Russian girls who used to be promising: Khromacheva. Kulichkova was a big hope and has done nothing/stopped her career. Pervushina also seems gone. Kalinskaya and Blinkova are improving, but not that much and look more like Top 100 and not future Top 10 players. Also big talent Zhuk is a big disappointment, no improvement, she has many bad results. Also there was more expected from Komardina and Flink.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
So yes, very sad what happened to Russian women's tennis ! :sad:

Russia used to have many GREAT players, and now has many MEDIOCRE players.

It's so weird to see smaller countries Ukraine and Belarus more successful than Russia ! :rolls:
Ukraine has: Svitolina, Tsurenko, Yastremska, Kozlova, Lopatetska, Kostyuk
Belarus has: Sabalenka, Sasnovich, Azarenka, Lapko and some strong juniors too

The talent from Russia is missing nowadays.
And many talented Russian juniors fail to break through.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
All Russian women lost in R1 or R2 at Wimbledon ! No Russian in R3 :tape:

Sharapova, Kuz, Pav, Kasatkina and Diatchenko lost in R1. Zhuk flopped in Quali.
Only Potapova, Flink, Gasparyan and Kudermetova reached R2.

A new low for Russian women tennis.
When was the last time that this happened ?

Ukraine for example has 2 women in R4 with Svitolina and Yastremska.
Czechia has even 4 women in R4 with Karo Pliskova, Kvitova, Strycova and Muchova.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts