Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am (actually was) a fan of Mary before i saw the match between Nathalie Dechy and Mary in San Diego.

I also read about what Nathalie said and had the same thoughts as most of you "how can Nathalie say that!!!".

i got the video of the match to see for myself...
From the first ball Mary was imtimidating linesmen and the umpire, it happended at least 15 times, Mary was her smiley self, winning the crowd with "poor me" and the halo above the head -
Nathalie finally had enough in the 2nd set and said to the umpire "she has been imtimidating you the whole match and you are letting it happen".

Mary also was taking so much time between points, coughing, smiling, fixing her hair, closingher eyes etc....

Nathalie Dechy is an example of professionalism and manners on the court and it must have taken something really bad for her to react this way.

I will not watch Mary when she comes to Europe again, i find her fake smiles and imtimidation just not tennis.

I will admit Mary is the better player for sure, her record proves this but...

after this match i am now an ex- Mary fan!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,001 Posts
:yawn:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Experimentee said:
Since when was smiling such a crime? lmao
She has the right to question calls too.
watch the match first.
smiling is not a crime, but questioning line calls every 3rd ball ruins tennis.
its like watching a soccer match where the ref blows the whistle every 30 seconds and then smiles....irritating mmmmmh, i think so.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Gaby C said:
I am (actually was) a fan of Mary before i saw the match between Nathalie Dechy and Mary in San Diego.

I also read about what Nathalie said and had the same thoughts as most of you "how can Nathalie say that!!!".

i got the video of the match to see for myself...
From the first ball Mary was imtimidating linesmen and the umpire, it happended at least 15 times, Mary was her smiley self, winning the crowd with "poor me" and the halo above the head -
Nathalie finally had enough in the 2nd set and said to the umpire "she has been imtimidating you the whole match and you are letting it happen".

Mary also was taking so much time between points, coughing, smiling, fixing her hair, closingher eyes etc....

Nathalie Dechy is an example of professionalism and manners on the court and it must have taken something really bad for her to react this way.

I will not watch Mary when she comes to Europe again, i find her fake smiles and imtimidation just not tennis.

I will admit Mary is the better player for sure, her record proves this but...

after this match i am now an ex- Mary fan!

THat's exactly how I feel, many of her smiles seem so fony....she uses more gamesmenship than anyone I've ever seen...her drastic pointing out when a ball is anywhere near a line is really annoying....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Gaby C said:
watch the match first.
its like watching a soccer match where the ref blows the whistle every 30 seconds and then smiles....irritating mmmmmh, i think so.
Oh plz

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,001 Posts
Mary smiles through every match she plays. How is that phony? ;\

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Gaby C said:
watch the match first.
I watched the match. The only line call she was clearly was off on was the very first one of the match. Other than that, she was well within her limits.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Rtael said:
Mary smiles through every match she plays. How is that phony? ;\
Mary welcome to the players hated for no reason club

Reactions: *roddicksinme*

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
middy said:
in a way, its a good sign because it shows that she is a threat and a top player :lol:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I saw the match live there, and I thought she was great. She's entertaining and she's there to make the crowds happy. I saw her play 4 times there and it's obvious she's there to have fun, she wants to win, but she's late in her career and she just wants to have fun. Give her break!!! Besides she was right on most of her calls, espically the first one. When she made a mistake she would do something goofy, but it was just to shake the point off. If Natalie had a problem with it too bad. Besides she didn't seem as pleasant as Mary. Natalie didn't sign any autographs even when she won and it seems like Mary didn't turn down anyone. I got hers twice on two seperate occasions, and the same thing happened last year when I went as well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
she's one of the best sportmanship ever in the tour. not so many player sign autograph after a bad loss or always applaud for opponent's shot.
she always did :)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
aimee20 said:
she's one of the best sportmanship ever in the tour. not so many player sign autograph after a bad loss or always applaud for opponent's shot.
she always did :)
She said during an interview on tennis channel... She said something like " If I could, I would sign every single autograph that my fans asked me to. I was a fan once growing up, I came to tournaments and wanted autographs of Navratilova, Evert and such. I know how dissapointed i would feel if I didn't get them. So i try to not dissapoint them"

She's very nice. I got a pic of me taken with her at Acura classic. She was so approachable. The next year, I had that picture signed by her, and she was asking me "Was this from last year?" I said yes... I guess she recognized that pic because she must have lost at least 10-15 pounds that year.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
middy said:

Who are the other members? :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts