Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the most part - I would think fans should be welcomed to root and cheer for their faves - w/very few questions asked. But when you have some fans intentionally trying to get the goat of fans that are for other players than their own - then when will enough be enough? It appears that there will always be this tic for tac mentality around here. How can it all be resolved? Well IMO - that question is just like the life questions we face everyday. Just like in life - not everyone will see eye to eye or get along. And that is a sad set of circumstances when you get right down to it.

I mean - I can state that Martina - here lately (in 2001 2 b exact) was the queen of the rinky dink tourneys. She did not win one tier one tourney in 01 and may not win any in 02 - let alone any slams. Now was that nice?

Most of you Williams fans and some fans of other players have been interacting on this board longer than I have - so you all know how some posters are. I am just learning. I've always believed that trash talking is ok as long as it doesn't get out of hand. It seems that there are some posters here that are more sensitive than others - and some are just plain rude. I cannot afford to let anyone get my goat - so I've decided that I will not get pulled into defending Venus to others. If I were to feel I had to do that - then that would mean I would have to try and explain why IMO - Jennifer will not end the year at number one - and so on and so forth. Yet - if I do defend Venus - it will be strictly because I want to answer media critics, pundits, commentators - and the like. Now under those circumstances - I can come out the blocks like a mother bear defending her cubs.

So - when one enters into a situation of defending ones fave all the dang time, (and even some that are not faves - but one enjoys watching and have nothing against) then one must understand and believe that it will never stop - will go on the entire year long - and will carry over into the next year. It has been documented that miserable people love company. I refuse to let anyone bring me down to their level - and make me feel any misery what so ever. Again - there is plenty I could say to the posters that have hate in their hearts towards Venus - but they aren't worth my valuable time.

Btw, my main reason on posting on this board is to root and cheer for Venus, and reading other's posts are secondary. I've decided to use the Player's Forum when I want to post something about Venus - for hopefully nothing I've posted will be taken out of context or the wrong way. If folks love to debate - and there is absolutely nothing wrong w/debating - then why not start more debating threads? If the posts on the threads get out of hand - then the administrator can step in to quell the turmoil. But in threads that are just following live scores - why would some want to upset the apple cart w/nasty, rude and hateful observations? It just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe something could be set up like in the old days when a man would call out another man to partake in a duel - because of reasons like slander, honor, dignity, slight, etc. And if that will work - then the two posters or more - can start a debating thread and just let it all hang out. Maybe that will help keep track of any points made by each poster participating in a debate. Just a thought - and not a solution. Again - just like in real life - no one seems to have all the answers or solutions to all problems and divisions.

Otherwise, my congratulations to Sandrine. And hail to the Queen Venus.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It´s natural to like or dislike certain players, fans and posters. However, too often it gets out of hand and the bickering and fighting accentuates rapidly. There are the "haters" and the "believers", and at one time or the other it appears that we all have a part in refueling the conflicts. The best thing would be to just accept players and fans for what they are, whether we like them or not.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Great post, GogoGirl.

I think that on this and any board, there'll always be conflict as most of us tend to be a little sensitive about our fave(s). The Sandrine vs Venus score thread and the ensuing debate on cheering etiquette illustrates.

You're right that no one can tell someone else how to cheer. However, we all must be aware of the likelihood of a response to our cheering.

It seems that in the scoring thread, some so-called fans were very offensive in rooting against Venus. They suffered the appropriate response from Williams Fans that they so deserved. Other fans simply cheered the victory of there fave without being offensive. I put my 2 cents in and explained how I see their celebration as a compliment to VEnus' B-game.

Bottom line, this board is nothing if we don't express our opinions. It would be naive to not expect some type of response to whatever you do. It would also be boring if no response occured.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Haters Never Win

You 2 that posted to this thread - I just got home and read you all's post. Thanks for responding. I appreciate your posts and understand it - yet.

I see that some folks feel it is fair game to say that they hate Venus, and one ignorant poster had the nerve to say "Them." Where is the them here? Was that ignorant azz including Serena in his hate? And if he/she hates - who truly gives a rats azz? His/her hate will continue to eat away at him/her - until he/she will never see things clearly in life and will ultimately suffer.

Dawn Marie - I agree w/you about the racism comments. Most folks know that that is the crux of many of the hateful comments that are directed at the fabulous Williamssisters. Who here was born yesterday? I would just implore the administrators on this board to caution posters that love to spew hateful comments towards any players - for it serves no purpose to spew such nonsense.

I guess I lied earlier when I stated that I would not respond to the lost and ignorant. I still intend not to let it get to me - but a certain simple minded poster just raised my blood pressure. "Just watch them and you will see how stupid they are." No - the thing is - just read this haters post and you will see how stupid he/she is!

Now - like I stated before - not everyone on this board will see eye to eye on everything - and there is naught wrong w/that - but for some ignoramous to think he/she has the right to comment w/hateful words against Venus - deserves to have that hate turned right back around on he/she - and I am the one to do it. Everyone has the right to post this or that - and sadly not all of it will be complimentary to certain players - so therefore if I feel the need to respond to certain haters - I would be within my rights to do so. Sad though that may be - for I truly don't want to go there. But - at least I feel better by stating that 'ell yeah - I have the right to defend.

Lastly - how ignorant is it that a hater would continue to spew such hateful and deogratory (sp) comments all the time? Don't they see how truly old it gets? And don't they see how trivial they will ultimately look? And don't they see how even fans that like the player the said hater likes - would soon get tired of reading the same old tired BS? And don't they see - how shallow and unintelligent they will prove to be? And don't they see how they are not helping matters? And don't they see how ultimately they will be hatin on no one but themselves - and that on their death beds they will be in bed with nothing but hate and horror? Pleeeeeeze!

I suppose it will be up to me to challenge someone to a debate in the future if I feel like it - for I will never back down from the truth of things as I see it. Yes - everyone has their own truths and that's fine too - and no - it is not worth it to try to convert others to see things the way you do - but a good old honest debate never hurt anyone. So - that being said - if a poster wants to take issue with me and the things I've said - then bring it on!

Like I've posted before - I enjoy the style of play of every top 20 player on the wta tour. I love tennis. I don't hate one female tennis player - or another human being period. For the most part - I'd rather watch a tennis match more than anything else on TV - and I support the wta tour. I think it gets darn right repulsive though when you have some folks that hate for no reason other than racism. I admire folks that say - I don't like this or that about Venus, etc - for IMO - it is ok to dislike someone's ways. There is nothing wrong with that - for everyone has their own taste, as we have seen in the Olympics this year - and especially in the figure skating arena. Figure skating is so darn subjective - and sad though it may be - so is life.

My thing to the haters is - you are truly not hurting anyone but yourselves - and you will forever be exposed for the haters you are. And if you continue with the hate on this board - then you will be setting yourself up for ridicule, pity, revulsion, dismissal, rejection, unimportance, ignorance & the ignored, pettiness and some more stuff. And - maybe one day if you're lucky - you may learn that haters never WIN - for they will be forever blinded, deaf and dumb to their own shallowness, emptiness and ignorance!

Like the lyrics of one of Michael Jackson's songs - why can't we try to make a better place - for you and for me and the entire human race?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts