Tennis Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1560 Posts

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Dayana concluded her Fed Cup campaign with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Lea Boskovic. Really, this tie was never in doubt. Everyone played well, although she played better against Shinikova. Lea did a nice job in this one, though. The seating was very narrow as it's only on one side. I sat on the opposite end of him.

So, now it is time for rest. The Hua Hin withdrawal was smart. Dayana needs rest both physically and mentally. It's been a long start to the season. As for me, I am on my way to cover the New York Open for the week before rejoining her in Dubai.

Take care for now everyone.

·
Registered
84,966 Posts
WTA Dubai Main Draw

[1] Simona Halep (ROU) vs. Bye
[WC] Ons Jabeur (TUN) vs. Alison Riske (USA)
Elise Mertens (BEL) vs. Wang Qiang (CHN)
[7] Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) vs. Maria Sakkari (GRE)

[3] Elina Svitolina (UKR) vs. [WC] Garbine Muguruza (ESP)
Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) vs. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT)
Dayana Yastremska (UKR) vs. Qualifier
[6] Kiki Bertens (NED) vs. [WC] Kim Clijsters (BEL)

[8] Petra Martic (CRO) vs. Qualifier
Amanda Anisimova (USA) vs. Barbora Strycova (CZE)
Anett Kontaveit (EST) vs. Qualifier
[4] Belinda Bencic (SUI) vs. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)

[5] Sofia Kenin (USA) vs. [SE] Elena Rybakina (KAZ)
Karolina Muchova (CZE) vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
[2] Karolina Pliskova (CZE) vs. Bye

Packed draw. No easy matches here

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dayana plays Kudermetova in round 1. Veronika is probably the worst possible matchup she could have drawn out of all the qualifiers. At least she won't be facing Bertens next if she does manage to advance.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
saw most of the last set, left the stream when she was serving for the match at 5-2, ( making a nice cuppa), came back and it was a tiebreak.
disappointing loss to say the least. whether it was the match up or not, kudermetova is a player she should be beating.

powershot, how do you think the coaching is going. how much blame does the coach get for the loss today, and how much blame does dayana get.
as an aside, i thought her yonex outfit looked great on her, a small crumb of comfort.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
This is the first time I am mad at Dayana. She tried her hardest (she never tanks or quits in matches) and she showed signs of brilliance, but the consistency is lacking. Her footwork was poor, movement was almost non-existent and her serve was good at best. It's amazing how Kudermetova is now like Bertens to Dayana: 3-0. As for what's wrong with her, it's complicated and i'd rather not discuss it. Let's focus on Doha.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
saw most of the last set, left the stream when she was serving for the match at 5-2, ( making a nice cuppa), came back and it was a tiebreak.
disappointing loss to say the least. whether it was the match up or not, kudermetova is a player she should be beating.

powershot, how do you think the coaching is going. how much blame does the coach get for the loss today, and how much blame does dayana get.
as an aside, i thought her yonex outfit looked great on her, a small crumb of comfort.
There's equal blame to go around. On the positive side, he is very calm when she calls him out, although his coaching abilities have never been in question. It's everything else that bothers me, but that's a different story. I like the fact that Dayana talks back to him and gives her opinion. It shows she's listening.

The problem here is that although it's up to her when to call him out, he doesn't really give her advice that's helpful. He also gets way too close to her when they talk, but I will address that privately. Instead of telling her what she's doing wrong, he encourages her to keep doing what she's been doing or (as with the Kudermetova match), tells her that "she's not gonna make it" or "keep letting her do that".

While this may be merely coincidental, both times he's been called out at 5-4 ahead, she's lost. He needs to tell her what she's doing wrong and how to fix it. She always practices well. That isn't the issue here.

The issues are her scheduling and being overworked. I voiced my concerns in the offseason NOT to play both Premiers before Melbourne, but no one listened. It's wonderful she made the final in Adelaide, but was Brisbane really necessary? Also, I will NOT let her play the week of Monterrey/Lyon, which is a scheduled week off, but he may see it as a way to compensate for missing Hua Hin.

The way the schedule is structured, there are inevitably periods where she has to play like the Middle East swing, Indian Wells/Miami, Madrid/Rome and even Strasbourg right before Roland Garros, but knowing that the middle of the season is packed, you rest in the beginning and end (no Zhengzhou or Tianjin this year). He doesn't know how to put together a sensible schedule.

The other big problem is she's already being overworked. The only time I wasn't with her for a long time was in Marbella (I went the last day), but I do (obviously) talk to her and she was already exhausted. Despite what those losers in GM might say, she was hurt in Melbourne. That's a product of being overworked.

What really concerns me for the immediate future is her ranking. Aside from the final in Adelaide, she hasn't improved on any tournament she's played so far. If it wasn't for Adelaide, she'd be out of the Top 30. He's done nothing to move her forward (although even I will admit it is a bit too early to judge overall).

They like each other professionally, but it's not what it may seem. A lot of it is for media purposes only. In hindsight, she gets the blame for not executing, being unable to close matches and not doing what she's told that is right. He gets the blame for everything else.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
thankyou, for that well said and detailed response.

if she is overworked, or has a minor or small niggle why not miss the indian wells/miami swing. i know there are good ranking points to be had, but maybe freshen up for the clay season. minor issues can develop to major ones.
i don't think we should be fixated on her ranking as fans, ( although dayana may be more interested than me?), but sensible management of her schedule is more important.
we shouldn't forget how difficult it is for young girls on tour to have what is a lifestyle that i for one couldn't imagine.
growing pains, family issues, injuries, hype, coaching changes, you only have to look at bianca, ci ci, marketa, belinda, just to name a few, who have gone or are going through issues.
as long as dayana makes EVERY decision in her career, even if from time to time she makes the wrong one, then i think she will be fine. you learn by your mistakes.

and with sonya kenin winning a slam, that must give dayana, and about 50 other girls the belief that anything is possible.( big sonya fan here)

·
Registered
84,966 Posts
Doha

[1] Barty vs BYE
Q vs (SR) Shvedova
Van Uytvanck vs Hercog
(WC) Cirstea vs [14] Rybakina
[11] Muguruza vs Q
Q vs Tomljanovic
Yastremska vs Q
BYE vs [6] Kenin

[3] Pliskova vs BYE
Q vs Garcia
(WC) Jabeur vs Q
Brady vs [13] Riske
[10] Martic vs Strycova
Ostapenko vs Q
Zhang vs Suárez Navarro
BYE vs [8] Kvitova

[5] Svitolina vs BYE
Anisimova vs Alexandrova
Kuznetsova vs (WC) Buyukakcay
Swiatek vs [9] Sabalenka
[16] Mertens vs Wang
Pavlyuchenkova vs Putintseva
Mladenovic vs Kudermetova
BYE vs [4] Bencic

[7] Bertens vs BYE
Muchova vs Linette
Hsieh vs (WC) Zvonareva
Zheng vs [12] Vondrousova
[15] Sakkari vs Goerges
Q vs Vekic
Kontaveit vs Sevastova
BYE vs [2] Halep

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Dayana has again drawn a qualifier in the first round of Doha. If she wins, she will play Kenin in the second round.

EDIT: I see the draw has already been posted.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Hello from warm Doha :)

Dayana is playing doubles with Elina in less than an hour on Court 5. Ironically, she will be facing Flipkens here as well with Mattek-Sands.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Dayana just beat Sofia 6-3, 7-6 (4). Best she's played since Adelaide (Juvan really doesn't count since she was completely overmatched). I could see the progress from the doubles even though her and Elina lost. That match got her backhand going and she made one key adjustment that we all discussed (and reminded her of before the match began): take a small step back on the backhand side. Since that is Sofia's stronger wing, give yourself some more room to hit it where you want. The serve was terrific (that also looked better after playing doubles) save for the hiccup when trying to serve out the match. The two things I was most pleased about was her forehand was dictating and opening up the court to hit winners that Sofia couldn't get to and the composure she showed after Sofia won those 3 games in a row to get to 6-5 in the 2nd set. Stayed the course and played a great tiebreaker. The footwork was better and I hope to see more wide serves in the next match.

You know what I have to (unfortunately) bring up. He's still feeding her junk. Every time he comes out, she starts playing worse. Yeah, she calls him out, but he really is still telling her the same old crap. Fortunately, she overcame it this time. He's still way too close to her also, but I will continue addressing that in private. I sat a little higher up and moved around a bit to get different viewpoints. The stands were practically empty.

I'm very proud of Dayana. This is very encouraging. :) Garbine or Ajla next. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
great win, as a big fan of both, i was torn, but happy for dayana.( it is her thread after all)
certainly the best i've seen her play for awhile.
served well.
where were the crowd, you had the most recent slam champ., and a rising star, pitiful.
the next match is very winnable.
i've noticed when he comes out she starts playing worse. on the live stream, you actually get to see the whole interaction between them.

sonya is feeling the pressure of being an unexpected slam champ., but she'll be fine.

good luck for dayana's next match, i'll be watching.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
So we are heading home as the tournament has been cancelled. Next stop: Miami. Talk to you guys soon :)

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
So Miami and Charleston (where she could have played) have been cancelled. Her next tournaments will be Madrid, Rome and Strasbourg if we ever play again. Stuttgart is uncertain as is seemingly everything else.

She is safely home and just relaxing. I am home and have been since the cancellation of Indian Wells. That's pretty much it at this point. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
So Dayana has teamed up with the gentleman in the picture here to do some charity work for the folks in Odessa affected by the Coronavirus.

I, of course, will help in any way I can. As she says, even a repost helps. I'm really proud of her.

·
Registered
53,546 Posts

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I'm sure you've seen Dayana's song by now. It is wonderful. There will not be an English version coming out and she doesn't have plans to release another song in the near future (although one will happen down the road).

It took Dayana 7 hours to record the single and at my suggestion, look for a cooking live of Tom-Yum soup sometime soon.

1541 - 1560 of 1560 Posts