Tennis Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1560 Posts

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Dayana beat Juvan 6-1, 6-1. There's really not much to say. Other than the 14 errors she made in the first set, she did pretty much everything well. Served beautifully, moved well, used her backhand and set up her forehand properly and from inside the court. She was, as I told her, confident and aggressive within herself. A slip-up at the end of the match serving for the bagel, but only a minor detail.

Now on to Push and hopefully the end for her. The key for Dayana will be to just stay patient. Don't get into a lot of long rallies and just go to her forehand. She needs to be inside the court, dictating play and (literally!) pushing her around. The crowd will be on Push's side since she is retiring, so hopefully this is it.

She's about to walk out here after taking selfies with the fans. She is so good in that regard. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
nice win today, although i missed it due to a doctors appointment. ( the match was started and completed while i was in surgery)

a little surprised her match against woz wasn't a night match for wednesday, considering it most likely will be woz's last match, and rate very well on t.v.
keys v rus as a night match instead of this, unbelievable. ( unless they asked woz what she wanted)

·
Registered
565 Posts
5-7, 5-7, lost in two, though led 5-1 in the first set and 3-0 in the second. what a hell was that?! ?
she was mentally weak, looks like she really faced the lack of technique. what did they do during the pre-season period, exept going to sauna, swimming in the pool and doing push-ups from new coach's back?
Unbelievable!

Stats: 2020-Caroline-Wozniacki-vs-Dayana-Yastremska-WS214 | Australian Open

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
5-7, 5-7, lost in two, though led 5-1 in the first set and 3-0 in the second. what a hell was that?! ?
she was mentally weak, looks like she really faced the lack of technique. what did they do during the pre-season period, exept going to sauna, swimming in the pool and doing push-ups from new coach's back?
Unbelievable!

Stats: 2020-Caroline-Wozniacki-vs-Dayana-Yastremska-WS214 | Australian Open
I'll give my thoughts later. I need to compose myself and be with her.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm afraid D., led by her present coach, paid too much attention to physical improvement during the pre season, instead of improving tactics and technical skills. And it was shown by her tremendously in the match we discuss. When she had an opponent, who played the same tennis she did, ev'thing went o.k. And every time she had to face a girl, who did not perform a power tennis, Dayana did not know how to deal with it. Last season, I may be wrong making these assumptions, when the team reasiled that she had to do something with it, they made a desicion to hire a professional. If you want to improve something, hire somebody who can help! This one can not! Because he's nobody, but just a sparring partner, who thinks the physical shape of an athlete can solve all problems at all.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
the goal is win a major this year she said? first of all she should stop with these idiotic schedules like playing events the week before a slam then we can talk. not saying she lost for that today but surely didn't help.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
This is the only place where I feel I can post about Dayana without being attacked, criticized or baited, so here goes:

Don't go into GM. I tend to avoid it there, but there are certain things I won't put up with. She WAS actually hurt this time and that's because you-know-who pushed her way too hard in preseason (I actually wasn't there, but I did obviously talk to her and you can see in photos her legs were already taped up).

As for the schedule, I emphasized taking some time off, but of course, not my call and in some ways, not hers, either. The only thing is, the schedule is compressed because of the Olympics, but yeah she should have taken a week off before this began.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
well it's been a massively disappointing open for me, bianca been injured, anisimova, aryna and now dayana losing, only sonya kenin left for me of my real favs.

as far as the match was concerned, so many untaken chances, could and should have been straight sets to dayana.
whether she got tight, nervous, or woz raised her level at the critical moments, i'm not sure.
i don't watch the pressers, so i don't know what dayana said.
at 5-1 in the first set i thought, yes, but give it to woz, you don't get to number 1 and win a slam for no reason.

M.T.O.'s don't worry me at all, they are there for a reason and ALL players use them, a certain woz in the final 2 years ago did, (whether M.T.O.'s should be allowed is another story, get rid of them, play injured or retire, i can't see that happening.)

they have even opened a thread on G.M. if dayana is the new w.t.a. villain. ( thankfully she hasn't murdered anybody, at least genie will be pleased)

still a new day will dawn tommorrow, life will go on, and i will still be watching dayana hopefully reach her tennis dreams.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Dayana is playing doubles with Fanny. They face 8th seeds Kveta Peschke and Demi Schurrs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've watched the majority of Dayana's matches since mid-2017 and this was easily the most disappointing match I've seen from her. There have been many times I've seen her play much worse, but none were as disappointing given the context of the match with Woz's retirement pending and how well Dayana's good patches of play were in going up double breaks in both sets. Her inexperience really showed and was the main factor in this loss IMO. Thankfully that is correctable with time, so hopefully she learns and corrects her mental approach when she inevitably goes off the rails during a match. I've come to expect those off the rail moments during every match when she is playing well, but usually it's only about 2 or 3 games in a row where she loses focus not 6 games like the 1st set.

With that said, I have to remember to tell myself she's still very young and still has much maturing to do. The physical tools are still there and should continue to get better as we wait until the mental aspects catch up.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
My thoughts are as follows: the match was played in two parts: Dayana played unbelievably in the start of both sets, striking the ball beautifully, moving well, keeping her power under control and putting Push on the defensive (even more than usual for her).

Then the end of both sets came: sloppy errors, no footwork, not dictating play, getting into too many long rallies and not taking control of the baseline. I hope this is a learning experience for her and I am confident she will bounce back.

Dayana was injured, but it is not serious from what we know right now. I am no longer going into GM after the vicious attacks on her. They don't understand how hard she is being pushed (yes, pushed), but I digress (for now).

Doubles is scheduled on Court 19 today and practice is supposed to take place in about five hours or so, but it is raining, so we'll see. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Dayana and Fanny lost to Peschke and Schurrs 6-3, 6-2. Not much of a surprise. They played fairly well in the first set, but faded in the second. You can tell Dayana was actually hurt as her movement was hampered a bit. Her serve wasn't working as well as it could have. Fanny also didn't play up to her capabilities (she's actually a good doubles player). Movement was hindered, groundstrokes were OK. Not much more to say other than that.

So, rest time now and Fed Cup in Estonia next in a couple of weeks time. Good opportunity for Dayana to heal her injury and be completely healthy for that.

It's been a pleasure to bring you into our journey through this Australian summer. See you guys soon.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Good evening from beautiful Tallinn :)

Of course, I leave New York and it is 55 there and here it is 30, lol. Dayana had her first practices with the rest of the Fed Cup team. She is feeling better physically and the leg looks OK. The time off did her a world of good as a break was badly needed. Dayana is very much excited for another Fed Cup campaign.

As we (particularly me) get settled in, I will provide more information. Take care for now everyone.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Dayana has withdrawn from Hua Hin, so here is confirmation of her upcoming schedule:

Dubai
Doha
Indian Wells
Miami

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Dayana opened her Fed Cup account with a decisive 6-2 6-1 victory over Isabella Shinikova. Much better performance than anything in Melbourne. Very confident, moving well, hitting her spots and she seems to be healthy again. Elina followed with a victory, so Ukraine have sealed the tie (basically) against Bulgaria. Now some rest before the big one against Croatia. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
1521 - 1540 of 1560 Posts