Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I just add my two cents to the Nina`s report :). Well, there were about 50 of Swiss fans and during the Safin - Federer match they reacted louder than the Russian fans. At first I was a bit surprised by that, but after the Safin`s quick loss I realised (hearing some talks around), that he is not liked very much in Moscow. So why root for him? But then Kafelnikov appears on the stage and guess what - he was greated as God, who had came down from heaven. And during that match the Swiss fans could not overroot the Russians. Nina would confirm I guess :).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
About the surface. Nobody said it better than Federer. "It`s a very strange decision to choose the surface AGAINST the opponent and not FOR you own players". I agree with him 100 percent.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
BTW, Kafelnikov was very suprised by the Safin`s quick loss (well, who wasn`t). He said at the press-conference that he was still in the hotel, when the called and said Safin already lost two sets.

What`s more, Evgeniy said he expected Safin to be the main force in that tie. "I though Marat would win two singles and myself one. Now the situation has totally changed and not to our best".

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
No, Eggy, I don`t think it`s a factor. He simply doesn`t give 100 percent or at least fans think that he doesn`t. Kafelnikov didn`t lost in Moscow for over 5 years, Safin is considered just as a spoiled boy :(.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
ys, we`ll see. But I must say that I do not agree with you. Yes, against Sampras and Agassi choosing a surface least suitable for them might be reasonable. But not against the Swiss team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts