Tennis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,137 Posts
www.gazeta.ru says that Yeltsin kissed everyone around when Kafelnikov won a tiebreaker..:)

Thanks, Nina, you are great!

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,137 Posts
I disagree. Choosing the surface not to be the best for your players, but to be the worst for your opponents is completely valid and smart and what Federer says is an obvious BS and just a part of mindgames that go along with every tight match - make your opponents doubt their decision, make them regret, make them think. I am not sure that we really should have chosen claycourts against the Swiss, but that the choosing the surface AGAINST your opponent makes a lot of sense, there is no doubt.

Australians do it all the time. Their players haven't won Wimbledon for 15 years, but they won 3 out 5 last US Opens.
Best surface of both Hewitt and Rafter is hardcourt, not grass, yet they consintently put their opponents on grass, simply because very few players in the world have the slightest idea how to play on grass. But should they play GB or Croatia, for instance, I assure you, they'll play on Rebound Ace. The best surface of Safin is hardcourt, the best surface of Kafelnikov is indoor carpet or indoor hardcourt. Let assume that we make the finals and play Americans there, Sampras/ Roddick, or Sampras/Agassi. Are you seriously suggesting that we should not choose clay in this case? You gotta be kidding..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts