Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my report from the first day of the davis Cup match between Russia and Switzerland.
First Federer vs Safin
I was a bit late and arrived to the stadium just after the first set finished. After looking at the scoreboard I couldn't expect the match to end so quickly. Well, what can I say Marat wasn't playing his best tennis, to say the least. He seemed tired , made a lot of mistakes, couldn't return Federer's serve,didn't serve well himself,wasn't fighting for every point etc, Roger did play well though.
There were some interesting bits though. Marat argued over a call so the chair umpire went to see the mark and fell off his chair
:eek: It's the first time I saw that. He was a bit embarrassed by that!
The crowd was really quite and even the Swiss support team (two guys in the audience and a few people in the players boxes) were louder.
I didn't watch the last games as it wasn't a very pleasant sight.

Then Kafelnikov's match..
In the first set he was in full control. He won it 6-3 and it looked like that was how the next two sets are gonna go but... It was 4-5 and yevgeny was serving. Michel played some great points, Yevgeny made some faults and the set was over. In the third set Zhenya lost his cocentration, well the score says it all..
Fourth set... WOW!!! Yevgeny immediately lost his serve but then at 2-1 broke back. The support was unbelievable, so loud! He had some breakpoints later but couldn't take them. At 5-5 he got broken again and Kratochvil was serving for the match, he seemed to get nerveous and Zhenya won the game to love just by getting all the reurns over the net...Then Kafelnikov won the tie-break 7-3(?).. In the fifth set he played really well and won the importaint points
That's it!
I'm going tomorrow too and I'll take my camera so maybe I'll make some nice pics and post them here :)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and about the Moscow crowd... I don't think they dislike Safin, it's just that when he plays badly and doesn't make much of an effort it's obvious that they are not really happy, after Yevgeny lost today there were some whistle in the crowd and when Marat was playing everyone was really loud and supportive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts