Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my report from the first day of the davis Cup match between Russia and Switzerland.
First Federer vs Safin
I was a bit late and arrived to the stadium just after the first set finished. After looking at the scoreboard I couldn't expect the match to end so quickly. Well, what can I say Marat wasn't playing his best tennis, to say the least. He seemed tired , made a lot of mistakes, couldn't return Federer's serve,didn't serve well himself,wasn't fighting for every point etc, Roger did play well though.
There were some interesting bits though. Marat argued over a call so the chair umpire went to see the mark and fell off his chair
:eek: It's the first time I saw that. He was a bit embarrassed by that!
The crowd was really quite and even the Swiss support team (two guys in the audience and a few people in the players boxes) were louder.
I didn't watch the last games as it wasn't a very pleasant sight.

Then Kafelnikov's match..
In the first set he was in full control. He won it 6-3 and it looked like that was how the next two sets are gonna go but... It was 4-5 and yevgeny was serving. Michel played some great points, Yevgeny made some faults and the set was over. In the third set Zhenya lost his cocentration, well the score says it all..
Fourth set... WOW!!! Yevgeny immediately lost his serve but then at 2-1 broke back. The support was unbelievable, so loud! He had some breakpoints later but couldn't take them. At 5-5 he got broken again and Kratochvil was serving for the match, he seemed to get nerveous and Zhenya won the game to love just by getting all the reurns over the net...Then Kafelnikov won the tie-break 7-3(?).. In the fifth set he played really well and won the importaint points
That's it!
I'm going tomorrow too and I'll take my camera so maybe I'll make some nice pics and post them here :)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Umpire falling off his chair? :eek:
Good thing it's on clay....

Thanks for the report!
Cheer loudly for us tomorrow too!

This pic below describes clearly how Yevgeny & Russia felt at that moment. ;)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
www.gazeta.ru says that Yeltsin kissed everyone around when Kafelnikov won a tiebreaker..:)

Thanks, Nina, you are great!

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
thanx Nina for the report.

wished the scoreboard worked :(

I just hope i can see them play in rd2 so that means against GB is only chance i will have.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I just add my two cents to the Nina`s report :). Well, there were about 50 of Swiss fans and during the Safin - Federer match they reacted louder than the Russian fans. At first I was a bit surprised by that, but after the Safin`s quick loss I realised (hearing some talks around), that he is not liked very much in Moscow. So why root for him? But then Kafelnikov appears on the stage and guess what - he was greated as God, who had came down from heaven. And during that match the Swiss fans could not overroot the Russians. Nina would confirm I guess :).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
About the surface. Nobody said it better than Federer. "It`s a very strange decision to choose the surface AGAINST the opponent and not FOR you own players". I agree with him 100 percent.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
BTW, Kafelnikov was very suprised by the Safin`s quick loss (well, who wasn`t). He said at the press-conference that he was still in the hotel, when the called and said Safin already lost two sets.

What`s more, Evgeniy said he expected Safin to be the main force in that tie. "I though Marat would win two singles and myself one. Now the situation has totally changed and not to our best".

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
Fresh...... Marat not liked cos he is a Tartar ??
I haven't been to any DC match when he has played but when he played Kremlin Cup he gets similar problems.

But they might have to cheer him on on Sunday if it goes to decisive 5th.
I hope its all settled before then for Russia.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
No, Eggy, I don`t think it`s a factor. He simply doesn`t give 100 percent or at least fans think that he doesn`t. Kafelnikov didn`t lost in Moscow for over 5 years, Safin is considered just as a spoiled boy :(.

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
I hope he can swing it around cos Yevgeny isn't going to be around forever. He will have to pick his game up

In St Petersburg, they quite like him, no guessing why as he has won last two years.

Maybe he has to win Kremlin Cup.

Fresh what time is doubles starting ?? cant find any working scoreboard :(

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
bring good luck to the team :)

davis cup site is useless this yr :( i just got connected to it again........

Go Team RUSSIA !!!!!!!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
I disagree. Choosing the surface not to be the best for your players, but to be the worst for your opponents is completely valid and smart and what Federer says is an obvious BS and just a part of mindgames that go along with every tight match - make your opponents doubt their decision, make them regret, make them think. I am not sure that we really should have chosen claycourts against the Swiss, but that the choosing the surface AGAINST your opponent makes a lot of sense, there is no doubt.

Australians do it all the time. Their players haven't won Wimbledon for 15 years, but they won 3 out 5 last US Opens.
Best surface of both Hewitt and Rafter is hardcourt, not grass, yet they consintently put their opponents on grass, simply because very few players in the world have the slightest idea how to play on grass. But should they play GB or Croatia, for instance, I assure you, they'll play on Rebound Ace. The best surface of Safin is hardcourt, the best surface of Kafelnikov is indoor carpet or indoor hardcourt. Let assume that we make the finals and play Americans there, Sampras/ Roddick, or Sampras/Agassi. Are you seriously suggesting that we should not choose clay in this case? You gotta be kidding..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
ys, we`ll see. But I must say that I do not agree with you. Yes, against Sampras and Agassi choosing a surface least suitable for them might be reasonable. But not against the Swiss team.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and about the Moscow crowd... I don't think they dislike Safin, it's just that when he plays badly and doesn't make much of an effort it's obvious that they are not really happy, after Yevgeny lost today there were some whistle in the crowd and when Marat was playing everyone was really loud and supportive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts