Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (TICKER) -- The WTA's forgotten woman is now the tour's hottest.

Lindsay Davenport cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 victory over No. 4 Jelena Dokic of Yugoslavia in Sunday's final of the $1.19 million Swisscom Challenge.

With her third title at this event, the third-seeded American capped a week that saw top-seeded Martina Hingis undergo ankle surgery and the ascension of Jennifer Capriati to the world No. 1 ranking.

But Davenport stole the headlines away, posting a three-set semifinal victory over Capriati and winning her second straight tournament on Sunday. She needed just 63 minutes to defeat Dokic for the fourth time in as many meetings and earn $175,000.

"When I got going in the tournament, I felt a lot of confidence and also the fact that I have won here before helped me a lot," Davenport said.

Sunday's triumph was the sixth tournament win of the season and 36th of her career for Davenport, who improved to 15-1 at this event. She captured consecutive titles here in 1997 and 1998 before losing in the final last year to Hingis.

The 25-year-old American claimed the Porsche Grand Prix last week over Hingis.

"It's been a perfect two weeks," Davenport said. "It is my second Tier I (tournament win) and that is the best that I can do without winning a Grand Slam. I didn't think when I came over to Europe that I would do this well."

Despite missing three months in the middle of the season with a right knee bone bruise, Davenport has not lost before the quarterfinals in any of 15 tournaments she has played.

Dokic, 18, was seeking her fourth title of the year, having captured the Kremlin Cup two weeks ago. She reached the final at four of her last five events.

"It is tough to play Lindsay with her serve," Dokic said. "She moved well and played well today. On this surface, it is very difficult to play against Lindsay."

Both Davenport and Dokic head to Linz, Austria to participate in the Generali Ladies Open, where the American is defending champion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts