Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the LTA: DAVENPORT CONFIRMED FOR HASTINGS DIRECT INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Lindsay Davenport, the 2001 Eastbourne champion, will be returning to
Devonshire Park to play in the Hastings Direct International
Championships June 16-21 2003.

The American, currently world number five and a Wimbledon champion in
1999, is one of five top 10 players entered into the championships and
is a further boost to the pre-Wimbledon grass court event.

Davenport will be joined by Chanda Rubin, Jennifer Capriati, Daniela
Hantuchova, and Anastasia Myskina with Jelena Dokic also scheduled to
take part.

John Feaver, joint tournament director for the Hastings Direct
International Championships, said: "We are delighted that Lindsay is
returning to play in Eastbourne this year. She is an extremely popular
player and this further strengthens the quality of the draw.

"With five players in the world's top 10 entered into the Hastings
Direct International Championships, we can look forward to a truly
memorable week of grass court tennis."

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I doubt she'll play here, especially with that foot injury. I think she rather have that healed first before playing or at least have it at the best she can have it before Wimbledon.

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
yay go linds :bounce:

·
Registered
131 Posts
She might just have entered and then see how the foot is, if its bad she may pull out. But I doubt it know its all confirmed. However, she did say in the French interviews that she would play, but that was before she got injured. So, it may have been finialized before she got injured

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
Go Lindsay:bounce:

Shame I can't go this year as I have exams:(

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
i dont think she enters on tuesday in order to withdraw on sunday.she committed right now,it means that she's able to play.if she wasnt,she wouldnt committed at all.

C'MON LINDSAY!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
I don't know what to think! Mary Carillo said that even Wimbledon was in doubt for Lindsay. Maybe she found a miracle cure! I hope so. Win it, Linds! :kiss:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good to have another big name entered, we need them even though they don't always provide the most entertaining matches. I remember a couple of years ago when Davenport won the 2001 final in about 42 minutes against Serna, 2 and 0 I think. I was considering going down there to watch it, but looking at the match-up I didn't think it would be a long afternoon's entertainment and I was proved correct...

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic that the Eastbourne tournament is being sponsored by a company named Hastings Direct, when the town of Hastings is our nearest seaside rival a few miles down the coast to the east? OK, you probably have to live around Eastbourne to appreciate that...

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Hendouble said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic that the Eastbourne tournament is being sponsored by a company named Hastings Direct, when the town of Hastings is our nearest seaside rival a few miles down the coast to the east? OK, you probably have to live around Eastbourne to appreciate that...

do ya live around Eastbourne? r u going to the tourney?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I can see it from my bedroom window (well, not now because it's dark, but you get the idea). I probably should go since it's not far at all, but if I'm being honest the women's side doesn't interest me as much as the men's. Having said that, it is horribly lazy of me to watch it on the BBC when it's going on about two miles away, as I did a couple of years ago, so I might go down and see some matches.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yes... I can see why you feel that way, but when you have as much tennis on TV as we get over here it's possible to become a little blase about an actual event going on nearby. Still, point taken, it's just that none of my favourites are actually playing at the tourney this year.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I love watching the next four weeks of tennis on bbc its all we get!!! I thought cappy was going to walk to this title but now Lindsays in her way - should be good fun

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
When you've been watching Sky and Eurosport all year, it really is a revelation when you get the commercial-free BBC. My only gripe is that they don't cover more events. You'd think they could show the latter rounds of some more of the big tournaments, even if (shock horror) they don't feature Henman or Rusedski.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I know i agree i have sky sports but eurosport was taken away - i was so angry i dont mind in the summer though since sky has the us open and wimbys on :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts