Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With her victory today, Lindsay Davenport will move 20 points ahead of Amelie Mauresmo for the #1 position in the Race to the Championships. Congrats!

Reactions: AnDyDog621

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Well done, Lindsay. :cool:

Mind you, she's now played one more tournament than Amelie, so the race is really neck and neck here. Let's see if they can fight it out all the way to the end of the season. Of course a few other players might have something to say about it, as well. This is a very interesting year on the WTA.

·
Banned
589 Posts
*~ The Leopard ~* said:
Well done, Lindsay. :cool:

Mind you, she's now played one more tournament than Amelie, so the race is really neck and neck here. Let's see if they can fight it out all the way to the end of the season. Of course a few other players might have something to say about it, as well. This is a very interesting year on the WTA.
Let's just hope the eventual #1 has a Slam title to go with it. ;)

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
How fun it is to have two players who has done nothing in Slams for years to lead the Race..

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
ys said:
How fun it is to have two players who has done nothing in Slams for years to lead the Race..
I didn't know that consistently reaching quarters and semis of Slams was equivalent to doing "nothing," but okay, I learn something new every day.

Sure, if you're ranked #1, you should probably have a Slam to your name (in the past 52 weeks), but sometimes life is just wacky and that doesn't work out. :D If the Slam winners aren't healthy/old (in Sharapova's under-age-rules case)/good enough to win consistently enough to get that #1 ranking, then they don't deserve it.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
I'm sure it's somehow Lindsay's fault, or Amelie's, that Juju is sick and that Anastasia has not so far been able to play as well as them week in week out. Or that Masha has not been able to accumulate as many points. Like it or not, Lindsay and Amelie are the two players who have been able to deliver results consistently so far this year. I'm of the school that says you deserve whatever ranking (or Race position) you have.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Leo_DFP said:
I didn't know that consistently reaching quarters and semis of Slams was equivalent to doing "nothing," but okay, I learn something new every day.

Sure, if you're ranked #1, you should probably have a Slam to your name (in the past 52 weeks), but sometimes life is just wacky and that doesn't work out. :D If the Slam winners aren't healthy/old (in Sharapova's under-age-rules case)/good enough to win consistently enough to get that #1 ranking, then they don't deserve it.
I don't want to get into a big ranking debate, but nothing is more important than the Slams. If you don't win the Slams, you don't deserve to be called the best.

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
Leo_DFP said:
The more you live the more you learn. Open any tennis history book, and reference, all you will most likely to find about particular GS tournament is: Final - A def B. As long as a player doesn't make a final, it is forgettable.

·
Banned
589 Posts
ys said:
The more you live the more you learn. Open any tennis history book, and reference, all you will most likely to find about particular GS tournament is: Final - A def B. As long as a player doesn't make a final, it is forgettable.
This is rather true.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
SerenaVenusNo1 said:
I don't want to get into a big ranking debate, but nothing is more important than the Slams. If you don't win the Slams, you don't deserve to be called the best.
so, with your reasoning, even all the one slam wonders are better players than momo and linds?

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
MinnyGophers said:
so, with your reasoning, even all the one slam wonders are better players than momo and linds?
Linds? :confused:

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Actually, I think the slams are overweighted if anything in the ranking system. I take most notice of bonus points. In any event, they all have to play by the same system.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
SerenaVenusNo1 said:
That isn't my reasoning.
"if you don't win a slam you don't deserve to be called the best"

so if you win a slam, you deserve to be called the best :kiss:

heh not trying to get into an argument where people throw insults to each other, but a debate about tennis with intelligent posters sure is fun

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
MinnyGophers said:
"if you don't win a slam you don't deserve to be called the best"

so if you win a slam, you deserve to be called the best :kiss:

heh not trying to get into an argument where people throw insults to each other, but a debate about tennis with intelligent posters sure is fun
I told you I don't want to discuss this. There are two schools of thought with the ranking system and they will never meet.

But you've misinterpreted my original statement. Just because I believe what I said to be true, doesn't mean the converse must be true.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts