1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Davenport advances to Bank of the West semifinals

July 16, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

STANFORD, Calif. -- Second-seeded Lindsay Davenport fell behind early but rallied to beat Mashona Washington, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, in the quarterfinals of the Bank of the West Classic on Friday.

The fifth-ranked Davenport reached the semifinals of this event for the 10th time in 11 appearances. She won the title twice and reached the finals on two other occasions.

"(Washington) surprised me with the way she came out," Davenport said. "She was being aggressive and going for shots, and her serve was great. The way she came out, I thought it was going to be a tough day."

Davenport meets either fourth-seeded Francesca Schiavone or eighth-seeded Maria Vento-Kabchi in the semifinals.

Washington was in the main draw only because of an injury to another player. She won her first two matches and reached her second career quarterfinal, the first since 1999.

"I'm not disappointed at all. This was a great tournament for me," Washington said. "It tells me I can compete at a high level. Now it's a matter of playing consistently."

The 28-year-old sister of former men's tour player MaliVai Washington will break into the top 100 for the first time ever.

Washington led 4-1 in the first set before Davenport rallied for the victory.

Davenport dominated the third set.

"The most important thing was breaking her in the second game," Davenport said. "From there I played a little more calm, and a little bit smarter."

Sixth-seeded Amy Frazier knocked off third-seeded Patty Schnyder 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) to reach her second Bank of the West semifinal.

"I felt I was able to make my ground strokes," Frazier said. "I love California, I love this area and I love the hard court. It's relaxing. When you're comfortable, it helps you play better."

Frazier lost to Schnyder in three sets on clay at Charleston earlier this year but that helped boost her confidence for Friday's win.

"That was one of the best matches I ever played on clay," Frazier said. "I felt like I was in that match."

Frazier, playing in her 14th consecutive event here, meets the winner of a later match between top-seeded Venus Williams and fifth-seeded Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

·
Banned
796 Posts
wow..I didn't even know who this girl was untill this tournament. I know she's older but I should keep an eye out for her.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
well done lindsay... good luck in the semi's... don't let your opponent play :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lindsay, well done :yeah:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts