Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“I’d be surprised if I was back,” Lindsay Davenport said in that matter-of-fact sort of way that she has. She had just been beaten – and well beaten – 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 by Maria Sharapova. And, at the age of 28 and with three Grand Slam titles already in the bank, she thought that enough was enough.

Her career has been long, it has been extremely successful and, for the most part, it has been happy. But after 14 years on the road, the appeal is not what it was. Last year she became Mrs Jon Leach and now she rather fancies the thought of spending more time at home and perhaps starting a family.

“I just feel like I’ve had an amazing career and a very long one” she said. “I just don’t feel the same excitement sometimes before matches. The wins don’t get me as excited anymore. On the flip side, the losses don’t hurt as much. It’s just different now.”

That is not to say that Davenport did not care whether she won or lost her semi-final encounter with Russia’s latest starlet. It was just that to lose a good match to an excellent young player was not such a bad way to say goodbye to the All England Club. And, for the record, yes the loss did hurt.

“Of course it does,” she said with a smile. “But I feel like she totally deserved it and totally played her way to win the match. I had control of the match and she took it from me. And when I started to have a chance here or there, she always came up with great shots.”

The match had turned on two rain delays. The first flummoxed Sharapova and after it Davenport was completely in charge, and the second gave the Russian a moment to breathe and regroup and from then on – 2-1 in the second set – Davenport was in trouble.

“When we came back from the rain delay at 2-1,” Davenport explained, “I felt like from then on she definitely stepped up her game and was more in control of the match than I was in charge of the tempo of the rallies. She started to serve a lot better and unfortunately I started to serve a lot worse. It’s a tough loss to take but I felt that I lost to someone who rose to the challenge today.”

That was the nuts and bolts of the match wrapped up and then it was time to think of saying goodbye. She plans, and hopes, to play through to the end of the year but she will see how she feels once the US Open is over.

“I’ve had great memories out there,” she said. “Winning, playing Steffi in the final in ’99, that has to be the highlight. For whatever reason, I never felt nervous, never got broken, just played a great match. To beat her, of all players, in the finals was pretty remarkable.

“This is a tournament where I struggled for a few years, wasn’t really sure of the grass and really grew to love and enjoy playing here, much more so than a lot of the other Grand Slams. But I just can’t see myself back here in 12 months' time.”

Written by Alix Ramsay

·
Registered
932 Posts
if she doesn't come back, i hope she doesn't regret it...good luck in the future

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Lindsay :sad:

·
Elena Dementieva Fan
6,017 Posts
Linds :crying2:

Take some rest and come back strong in US hardcourt season. :hug:

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
:sad: for us but I am happy for Lindsay if she is happy with what she has achieved and wants to spend her time from now on with her husband. :)

WTA tour will not be the same without you, Lindsay! :sad:

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
It's been fun, Lindsay. :tears: :)

Au revoir! Farewell! Auf wiedersehn! Adieu! :wavey:

Adieu, adieu, to yeu and yeu and yeu! :)

:tears:

:bigcry:

:tears:

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts