1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

By ROY KAMMERER<br />Associated Press Writer

MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport remained in contention for the No. 1 ranking, beating Amanda Coetzer 6-3, 6-3 Wednesday at the Sanex Championships to extend her winning streak to 13 matches.

Davenport has won titles the last three weeks and could pass Jennifer Capriati for the top spot at this year-end $3 million tournament. Davenport trails Capriati by a few ranking points.

Davenport next faces Jelena Dokic, a 7-6 (4), 6-2 winner over Meghann Shaughnessy.

Davenport failed to win a Grand Slam tournament this year and insists she is not thinking about the top ranking.

``It's never crossed my mind in the last month,'' she said. ``I've always felt the No. 1 player should have excelled in the biggest tournaments and those are the Grand Slams.''

Capriati won the Australian Open and French Open. She is seeded first in this tournament and won her first-round match Tuesday against Magdalena Maleeva.

If Capriati had lost, Davenport could have passed her for the top ranking by reaching the final. Now Davenport will have to win the tournament if Capriati reaches the semifinals.

Davenport broke Coetzer's serve to lead 4-3 in the first set lead, then had little trouble finishing off the South African.

``The rankings have nothing to do with how I'm playing,'' Davenport said. ``I've always played well indoors. I feel like I'm probably the best player indoors.''

Belgium's Justine Henin ousted Anke Huber 6-1, 6-2, ending the German's 13-year career. Henin next faces Serena Williams.

``I've just had enough,'' said the 26-year-old Huber, once ranked No. 4. ``A lot of things have just come together -- my injuries, the traveling. I just want a normal life.''

Huber was sent into retirement with a 55-minute loss before a home crowd.

``I thought there's nothing better than to celebrate saying goodbye in front of the home fans in your own country,'' she said.

Huber, who has spent most of her career in the shadow of Steffi Graf, originally planned to quit after the Australian Open but unexpectedly qualified for the Sanex.

``I would like to have played better,'' Huber said. ``But knowing it was my last match, I was a little cramped.''

Dokic has reached five finals in six events, jumping to a No. 9 ranking. In Davenport's last two tournaments, she beat the Yugoslav in the finals.

``I know that I have too keep working but there will be a time when I beat her,'' Dokic said.

She let a 4-1 lead slip away against Shaughnessy in the first set, then won the tiebreaker when the American drove a ball into the net.

The tournament, shifted from New York to Munich, aims to feature the 16 best players. But this year Venus Williams and Martina Hingis pulled out with injuries and Monica Seles refuses to play in Germany since her stabbing.

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
lindsay may not have won a grandslam this year, but if she wins this event then it'll be just as gratifying IMO.

lidsay's really playing well, so interesting how dokic will matchup against her after losing to her these past weeks...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts