Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

LINZ, AUSTRIA (TICKER) -- History repeated itself Sunday as red-hot Lindsay Davenport upended Jelena Dokic, 6-4, 6-1, for the second straight week to successfully defend her title at the $565,000 Generali Ladies Open.

The top-seeded Davenport, who pocketed the $90,000 champion's check, also cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 victory over the Yugoslav in the final of the Swisscom Challenge at Zurich a week ago.

The American extended her tour winning streak to 12 matches as she lifted her third trophy this month. Her run began with her triumph at the Porsche Grand Prix at Filderstadt, Germany.

"I am happy I made the decision to come here instead of taking a week off," Davenport said. "At the beginning, I felt more tired than usual because of all the matches I played in the last two weeks. But starting on Thursday helped a lot and right now I don't feel tired at all and I feel good for Munich."

Davenport will enter the season-ending Sanex Championships on a high, having claimed her tour-best seventh title of 2001 and the 37th of her career. This year, the 25-year-old California native also has won the Pan Pacific Open at Tokyo, the State Farm Tennis Classic at Scottsdale, the Britannic Asset Management at Eastbourne and the estyle.com Classic at Los Angeles.

"Regardless of what will happen next week, I've had a great end of the season," Davenport said. "But you always want to do good at big events and I haven't done that at Grand Slams this year. So, I'm hoping that I will end on a good note at the Championships."

Davenport also reached the finals at Sydney, Stanford and New Haven. She has not lost before the quarterfinals of any of her 16 tournaments this year, despite missing three months in the middle of the season with a right knee bone bruise.

Both Davenport and Dokic have been at the top of their games lately. Dokic's only two losses in her last 13 matches have come against Davenport.

"The score is pretty similar to last week in Zurich, but I think I played better this time," Dokic said. "It was very tough to to break her serve and that put pressure on me. But she is playing well indoors -- it suits her game."

Despite losing to Davenport for the fourth time this year and the fifth in as many career meetings, Dokic chooses to gather as much knowledge as she can from Sunday's 57-minute rout.

"I know I have to keep working, but there will be a time when I will beat her," Dokic said. "I just have to be patient and ready to take my chance. I had a good week here in Linz and I can only learn from it."

Dokic won her third title of the year earlier this month at the Kremlin Cup. She also captured the Italian Open crown in May and the Princess Cup at Tokyo last month.

The Yugoslav teenager has reached the final in five of her last six events, beginning with her appearance in the championship match at the Brasil Open in September.

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Josh ]</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts