Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno, im sorry if this hurts somebody but this is really getting annoying. Is davenport using her toe injury as an excuse to say she didn't play her best. Because like think about it, she goes out and beats Jelena 2 and 0 and then in 2 days she cant win 3 games off of capriati. Its really botherig me because shes lost like 6 games and her toe is supposed to be messed up. Can somebody explain this to me because i may not be griping the whole situation.
 

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
Joined
·
48,281 Posts
She could barely move in the New Haven Final. That night she had a cortisone shot to alleviate the pain. Cortisone is a very painful shot to receive, and is supposed to kill the pain for a prolonged period of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,920 Posts
I'll explain it FAST and SIMPLE.
Her injury consists on a nerve between two of her foot's toe which is inflamed, sore. But this nerve flares up only on some given days. She cannot control it. The only thing she can do is put some ice on it after practicing, etc. and injecting a cortisone shot. This cortisone shot can only be injected three times in a life time. When the shot is done, Lindsay must wait a couple of days until it really sinks in. The effect last for about two-three weeks. That is why in New Heaven (three weeks time since her last shot) her nerve was unstable. During the semis against Dementieva it hurt, but not that match. In the final she could not bare the pain, therefore had to retire.

Q. Can you describe the pain? Is it like a toothache?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I wish (laughter). No, it's just a very sharp pain that goes through, you know, and it spreads off to the two toes, the third and fourth, and through the bottom of the foot as well where the nerve runs through the foot.

It's something she cannot control.
Hope this clears your mind.

Joaco
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
177 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
I dunno, im sorry if this hurts somebody but this is really getting annoying. Is davenport using her toe injury as an excuse to say she didn't play her best. Because like think about it, she goes out and beats Jelena 2 and 0 and then in 2 days she cant win 3 games off of capriati. Its really botherig me because shes lost like 6 games and her toe is supposed to be messed up. Can somebody explain this to me because i may not be griping the whole situation.
I love davenport but I tend to side with what you are saying.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,027 Posts
jbone, did you see her left foot being strapped by lots of bandage etc during new haven..... and her cortosine injections.... i think you are becoming questionable...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,579 Posts
Btw, Davenport said she did not want to miss a Williams-less US Open and she's eager to play in that regard. She also ranked Jennifer ahead of her, saying Jen has a bigger chance of winning than her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
SerialKiller#69 said:
Btw, Davenport said she did not want to miss a Williams-less US Open and she's eager to play in that regard. She also ranked Jennifer ahead of her, saying Jen has a bigger chance of winning than her.
Lindsay just wants to take any of the pressure or spotlight off her and put it on other players like Jen, Lindsay plays better that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well why would she risk playing new haven if she wanted to be fit for the US Open. Im not becoming questionable im being logical. Who the hell would go out and beat a player 1-2 and the the next day cant win 3 games. Think about it.
 

·
Miss Verstand
Joined
·
14,936 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Who the hell would go out and beat a player 1-2 and the the next day cant win 3 games. Think about it.
she beat elena 4 and 2, not 1 and 2 ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,027 Posts
look, no one's listening to you jbone!!! she played at new haven coz that's her last tourney before the open and she wanted to start getting good rhytms and confidence kicking in.... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
jbone:the truth is that Lindsay (like Kim or Justine) is so much stronger than others that she doesnt need to be at 100% in order to win a match easily.of course she needs to play great if she wants to win this tourney,but til she doesnt meet a top 5,she doesnt need to make a big effort.she's just superior to everyone (apart from the belgians and jennifer) also without moving well.Accept it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
jbone:the truth is that Lindsay (like Kim or Justine) is so much stronger than others that she doesnt need to be at 100% in order to win a match easily.of course she needs to play great if she wants to win this tourney,but til she doesnt meet a top 5,she doesnt need to make a big effort.she's just superior to everyone (apart from the belgians and jennifer) also without moving well.Accept it.
Don´t forget the sisters, although they aren´t playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Yes lindsay is hurt but if she loses she loses. It doesn't matter if a player is injured like lindsay, emotionally unstable like daniela, sick like momo with food poisioning(new haven) or whatever excuse they want to come up with whether its true or not a loss is a loss and it just doesn't matter.

I hope lindsay goes all the way. Go big D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bis2806 said:
look, no one's listening to you jbone!!! she played at new haven coz that's her last tourney before the open and she wanted to start getting good rhytms and confidence kicking in.... :rolleyes:

shut up. Nobody is listening to you. She had already played 3 tournaments before the open and been in 3 finals so dont start that rhythm and confidence shit. She already had confidence
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top