Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

FILDERSTADT, Germany (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport beat Justine Henin 7-5, 6-4 Sunday to win the Porsche Grand Prix for her fifth title of the year.

Davenport, who missed three months in the spring with right knee problems, won the 35th title of her career. Her prize: a Porsche sports car.

``It's my first title in Germany,'' said Davenport, seeded third in the $565,000 tournament. ``I'm just happy to get that jinx off my back.''

She had too much power and stamina for Henin, who has enjoyed her best season on tour. The 19-year-old Belgian was runner-up to Venus Williams at Wimbledon, reached the semifinals at the French Open and won three titles.

Davenport was in her eighth final of the year, having advanced when top-seeded Martina Hingis quit during their semifinal Saturday with a torn ligament in her right ankle. Hingis was scheduled to have surgery Sunday and was expected to be out six weeks.

The loss cost Hingis the No. 1 ranking, which she had held for 209 weeks, including the last 73 in a row. Jennifer Capriati moves into the top spot for the first time.

Davenport arrived in Filderstadt one week ago. Later that day, the U.S. military began air strikes against Afghanistan in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

``Had they started while I was still in the United States, I don't know if I would have come,'' she said. ``But I've felt very safe here.''

1 - 1 of 1 Posts