1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

By ROY KAMMERER<br />Associated Press Writer

MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport, aiming to become the world's top-ranked player, again proved too strong for Jelena Dokic, dealing the teen-ager a loss in straight sets Thursday at the Sanex Championships.

Davenport kept alive her hopes of passing Jennifer Capriati and ending the year No. 1 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory to advance to the semifinals. But Davenport said she wasn't obsessed with the top spot or a match against Capriati.

``Whatever happens, happens,'' Davenport said. ``I can't control the play of other players. I can just play my game. Jennifer is still the No. 1.''

Capriati, bothered by a throat infection, plays her second-round match Friday against Sandrine Testud, who pulled the only upset of the tournament by ousting world No. 7 Amelie Mauresmo on Tuesday. Capriati will seal the No. 1 ranking by reaching the final.

Davenport next plays Kim Clijsters, who defeated Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 7-5, 6-1.

Davenport slammed an ace to end the match against Dokic in 58 minutes, her third victory in as many weeks over the Yugoslav teen-ager.

``It gives you a lot of confidence beating a player three straight times,'' Davenport said after ending the match with an ace. ``I knew if I did the things I do well, I should win.''

Davenport also beat the 18-year-old Yugoslav player, who has soared from 26th to eighth in the rankings this year, in the finals at Zurich and Linz heading into this event.

Davenport believes Dokic will be a force in the future.

``The hardest and biggest thing then is beating the players ahead of you, the top five,'' Davenport said. ``She'll get there.''

Davenport rolled to a 5-1 lead before Dokic could fight back, but the teen-ager's faint hopes slipped away with a double fault that set up an early break in the second set.

It was Davenport's 14th straight victory, a charge that has left her just a few rankings points behind Capriati at the season-ending event. Davenport probably has to win her fourth tournament in as many weeks to claim the top spot before the tour breaks for two months.

At the start of the championships, Capriati had 4,962 ranking points while Davenport's streak had lifted her to 4,901.

The championships bring together the world's top 16 players. This year's field, however, has been depleted by injuries to Venus Williams and Martina Hingis.

Monica Seles also refuses to play in Germany since she was stabbed in Hamburg during a match in 1993.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts