Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many experts have already predicted that Clijsters will play either VENUS or Capriati in the RG semis, but few, if any, have given, three time GS champ, Lindsay davenport, much of a chance in Paris.
The general concensus is not giving Lindsay any playing time past the quarters, but she could be a darkhorse to get to the semis if her strokes are really on that day.

Even though her footwork is slower than most of the top ten, Davenport still probably has the purest power strokes in the game and could be a real danger for Clijsters if they should meet and Kim is not firing on all cylinders that match.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I think alot of that comes from the fact that she has taken a few weeks off, and clay hasnt been her best surface throughout her career. But Im with you on this one, she's being left out by alot of people and that could work towards her advantage.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Or mayb they believe that her fitness cant pull her through into the second week with the hard amtches she could come across... it svery har dto play on clay.. i love lindsay but i dont believe she will make it past Qtrs.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
I'm a LD supporter for years now and
hey we're all use the lack of respect
thing. I'm sure she's use to it too, and
doesn't really mind it because it's one
one of her weaker surfaces. I think it
bugs her on events back in the USA.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
It's not her fitness. she can last deep into a match because she is usually not the one running (ex AO against Justine, Justine presumably the fittest player was far more tired than Lindsay, Lindsay looked like she could have went on).
It's her speed. On clay, she won't get that many balls back as the other players, and she won't hit as many winners. The reason she won't get balls back is because she will get out manovoured(sp?).
I think Kim will eat her for lunch if they get to meat, but Lindsay, as u said, when on, who cares what surface it is. But the advantage goes to Kim.
Jennifer in my opinion is the one that is the larger darkhorse, she has been giving little to no chance at all. She has the speed, the power, and the consistency to win again. But she has a though road herself.
I think that Lindsay and Jennifer can though make it very very deep, if not take it all, especially as the draw opens up.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Froidian slip"
=========
"I think Kim will eat her for lunch if they get to meat"

SD - I just thought this slip was funny. :)

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
no, she gets no respect and very little ink. We're all used to it. Lindsay prefers to fly under the radar though, and if that's how she likes it, it's just fine by me. articles may overlook her, but I doubt that the players do.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Lindsay gets my support. I want her to do well just to shut the "experts" up. It's crazy to write her off. Anything can happen on the tennis court.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Like I've stated before I'm a huge LD
supporter; but I would prefer the title
going to Justine, Amelie, Jen or someone
else that never won it before because it
will be so much more in their hearts to
win it. Kim would be ok too for that matter.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
I don't think Lindsay is capable of beating Kim Clijsters on clay. As simple as that.
If they meet, Kim will win like 6-2 6-3

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
I really thought Lindsay was going to beat Kim last time they played but she doesn't seem to have what it takes to beat Kim any more. I could be wrong....but

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Greenout

How's it going, fellow tennis enthusiast in Singapore? Over the next 2 weeks, I bet you and I are gonna be real tired going into work after staying up to watch live coverage of the French Open on Starhub Cable, huh? :)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i agree bis if lindsay is on like she was at the us open 98, wimby 99, or aus 00 she will annihilate kim! she does everything better except for the movement, but that isnt as big a factor IMO as ppl make it for lindsay.

i think by the time she does meet kim 4r? qf? shell have enough matches under her belt to atleast be in decent form and pose a threat

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
i dont see lindsay losing before quarters...and against kim hopefully she'll play a good match and she'll fight more than she did in Sydney or IW finals.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Hi ya Chet,

Yep- you can be sure of that. :) I'll
vent later on in the evening on the matches
back in the RG thread down below.

See ya later.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Well, unluckily this is not the first time this happens... all the hype is on other players, who in the weeks coming into the Grand Slam have played more and more consistently, whereas Lindsay is somewhat forgotten by the press. What usually happens is that Lindsay shows what she is made of and goes on to the second week of the GS without much effort, because she, too, belongs to that small group of top players.
I suppose this time she has given a few reasons to consider her out of the circle of the most favoured players for RG, because she hasn't played at all since Amelia Island. Anyway, I remember when it happened in the past and then, by the second week of the tournement, journalists found out that she was still in the draw, Lindsay didn't seem that disappointed. On the contrary, she would say that it was nice with all the pressure off her :)
Good luck, Mrs. Leach!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts