Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are already a few threads on this but none of them are properly titled, so feel free to merge if & when those thread titles are updated... the latest from The Age is that an announcement will be made - most likely a postponement of the AO - in the next 72 hours. With no tournaments outside of the other 3 Grand Slams solidly confirmed for 2021, it looks like the AO has considerable rescheduling options, although the least disruptive one would seem to be just pushing it later by a week or 2 so that players could arrive in Australia on a normal pre-event timetable. I doubt that Indian Wells & Miami would take kindly to the AO claiming their calendar spots, so March seems unlikely, but April is a pretty empty month, at least on the WTA side, perhaps they could do it then. The Age quotes Todd Woodbridge as saying that cancellation is not an option, as TA's insurance policy recently expired.

·
Registered
32,196 Posts
This post is a contradiction considering the title says the tournament is "in doubt" but then your post says "cancellation is not an option." What a mess though. I suppose Australia's strict lockdowns do seem to be working pretty well for people there, but it still seems insane that they haven't managed to figure out this situation by now. Roland Garros showed us that rescheduled slams are possible but this whole mess is becoming so frustrating.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This post is a contradiction considering the title says the tournament is "in doubt" but then your post says "cancellation is not an option."

you're right, i probably should have said "dates of Australian Open in doubt". But even though he said cancellation is not on the table, it sort of feels like anything can happen once they pull the plug on Jan. 18...

·
Registered
77,044 Posts
This post is a contradiction considering the title says the tournament is "in doubt" but then your post says "cancellation is not an option." What a mess though. I suppose Australia's strict lockdowns do seem to be working pretty well for people there, but it still seems insane that they haven't managed to figure out this situation by now. Roland Garros showed us that rescheduled slams are possible but this whole mess is becoming so frustrating.
We don't have strict lockdowns anymore.. we don't have new restrictions. In fact, today in Victoria they announced the easing of restrictions. Why are Americans so keen on spreading misinformation about Australia? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is this misinformation? There are no new restrictions. Victoria even announced easing of restrictions today.

banning foreign tennis players from entry into the country before Jan. 1 doesn't qualify as new restrictions? Or maybe these are national Australian restrictions and not Victoria?

·
Registered
77,044 Posts
banning foreign tennis players from entry into the country before Jan. 1 doesn't qualify as new restrictions? Or maybe these are national Australian restrictions and not Victoria?
Australia's borders are not open to foreigners, unless they have received an exemption. Most of the return travellers at the moment are Australian's abroad making their way home. This has been this way since basically COVID had started in March/April. In Victoria, we have not accepted any international arrivals since the start of the 2nd wave (around June/July). Starting from mid-December, we will be accepting international arrivals again into our state (and clearly they are going to prioritise Australian citizens so they can get home before Christmas). There are no new restrictions at all.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The situation of RG and the USO is totally different. In those situations, the virus has already ravaged the community and the players represent zero risk to the community. Those tournaments were trying to protect the players. In Australia, it's the other way round - we're almost virus-free, and the players will not be. We are trying to protect the community.

We don't have lockdowns at the moment. Today Victoria eased restrictions even further after hitting 23 days with 0 cases. The VIC/NSW border will reopen at midnight.

It's not that they haven't worked out the situation "by now"; things change every minute. It's not like this has been a static situation since March and everybody has just been chilling. South Australia just had a random outbreak after months with no virus caused by hotel quarantine. There are still thousands of Australians stuck overseas because of Melbourne's suspension of the program. Restrictions are easing. Borders are still being negotiated between states.

The issue is how to handle thousands of players coming into the country - many of whom will probably be positive for a virus that is close to being eliminated from the Australian community - while Australian citizens are still stranded.

This is not one government either. The federal government has one idea, the VIC government has another idea, the NSW govt has its ideas...etc.

If Queensland had taken a larger share travellers then things would have been a lot easier by now, but they're still taking imho less than they could have. As a result, VIC's program is resuming in early December and will have to continue to take large numbers along with NSW and WA. SA's program is now on hold as well.

With all tournaments most likely being held in VIC, this puts an even bigger strain on the situation in Victoria.

Victoria is also the state that has had the most devastating lockdown and second wave and has the least tolerance for it coming back.

Almost all the players seem very understanding of the situation so I don't know why TFers are going nuts about it and creating false headlines and insulting Australians (not you, btw - I'm not going to refer to those people by name).

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Ugh this thread is such a mess of misinformation and subtle passive aggressiveness :-( so on-brand for TF.

·
Registered
37,474 Posts
The thing I find astonishing here is the arrogance and superiority in the attacks on Australians here. I come from the state that has had the least restrictions and I guess the most "reckless" approach which I've been very happy with, but I'm not going to come on here and say that Victorians are stupid for wanting everyone to be 100% safe when I haven't experienced their lockdowns and economic consequences. How people from America and Europe feel they're in a position to mock the priority of safety is ludicrous considering that aside from the amount of death there has been, those economies are also on the brink of collapse because of new restrictions and lockdowns.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The thing I find astonishing here is the arrogance and superiority in the attacks on Australians here. I come from the state that has had the least restrictions and I guess the most "reckless" approach which I've been very happy with, but I'm not going to come on here and say that Victorians are stupid for wanting everyone to be 100% safe when I haven't experienced their lockdowns and economic consequences. How people from America and Europe feel they're in a position to mock the priority of safety is ludicrous considering that aside from the amount of death there has been, those economies are also on the brink of collapse because of new restrictions and lockdowns.
The amount of misplaced anger and abuse they're spouting is matched only by the lack of understanding and straight up misinformation they're spreading.

The crazy thing is how freaking easy it is to completely take their delusional attacks apart by a) presenting facts that show how wrong they are, and b) contrasting it with the appalling circumstances abroad. I resist doing so because I take no pleasure in exposing how horrific the situation is for other people. My friends and family live in these places and it's really scary listening to how things are. I'm not going to engage in that conversation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts