Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
She's been in quite a rut lately. It's made it hard for me to watch as well and when I still found time to 'enjoy' her craziness in the past despite her up and down game, because when she's playing well it's quite interesting. Now, it's like she doesn't know what to do out there and just has zero confidence and fight. A real shame because she has some good parts and there are some many areas she could improve if she took time to work on them. Her serve in particular has fallen to pieces, the DF yips caught he rend of 2017 and she doesn't seem to have righted the ship.

A break wouldn't hurt sometimes, I guess looking at the Barty angle. Just maybe have fresh perspectives.

·
Registered
115,552 Posts
She has a bad mentality. She needs to work on her serve and fight for each point. She used to be known for her movement and extending points
When you start going away from what built your career, players usually struggle
Same for Kasatkina. Watcch old tapes and get back to doing what you built your career on.

·
Banned
15,175 Posts
Play for Kazakhstan gurl. :happy:

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
A break wouldn't hurt sometimes, I guess looking at the Barty angle. Just maybe have fresh perspectives.
I think a break can be a very healthy thing if it's approached for the right reason. It's unclear to me what Gavrilova would hope to gain from a break, though.

With Barty, she was depressed and homesick from the touring life. She wanted time to live a normal life (in which she still essentially worked as a coach at a tennis center, incidentally), so a break was massively helpful in reframing what she valued and what she could do to approach tennis on her own terms.

With Gavrilova, though, if the problem is unhappiness from poor results, simply stopping tennis isn't necessarily the answer. Taking 6 months to stop touring, maybe even a month entirely away from a court, and then work on your ball-striking, rebuild your game from the ground up, find the hunger again to compete, now that's a possibility.

I think more players would benefit from that than we think (for example, Muguruza, who hasn't looked happy on court in two years, or Mladenovic, who seems to think the solution is one match away when clearly there are more foundational problems), but a break isn't a cure-all if you don't have clear-eyed reasons for why you take it, and how you go about it.

Thinking of players who were forced off the tour by injury, accident, or attack, and how the unexpected nature of the break forced them to confront their playing career in a different light, it's interesting to see how they respond. Stephens responded big but then promptly returned to her carefree self. Serena Williams dedicated herself to greatness after the broken glass accident. Kvitova seems to have returned from her attack with a hunger to achieve more, live up to her potential, and reach her peak fitness.

If you can get yourself in a new mindset after time off, that's a success. I hope Gavrilova succeeds, regardless of a break. She's a sweet girl and brings a feistiness to the game, a la Peer or Cibulkova, that the tour lacks in her absence.

·
Registered
40,195 Posts
I object!

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
She can plan her wedding. look at the deco, and maybe choose a nice carpet while at it.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
She's been in quite a rut lately. It's made it hard for me to watch as well and when I still found time to 'enjoy' her craziness in the past despite her up and down game, because when she's playing well it's quite interesting. Now, it's like she doesn't know what to do out there and just has zero confidence and fight. A real shame because she has some good parts and there are some many areas she could improve if she took time to work on them. Her serve in particular has fallen to pieces, the DF yips caught he rend of 2017 and she doesn't seem to have righted the ship.

Gavrilova has been one of the softest draws in the WTA for going on 2 years now... she seems to lack psychological commitment, and it's hard to stay competetive in the Top 100 with that mentality.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Felt this was coming. She's been basically in free fall for ages now

:sad:

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
She should. I think she reached her peak and now she has no where to go. Her tennis is always messy and never pretty. It's hard to keep winning like in 3 hours 3 setters everyday

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
She went from being a top 20 player to losing every match. Her game is really in a poor state, and her competitiveness seems to have evaporated. Not sure if she's carrying an injury, but her movement is not nearly as impressive as it once was.

Maybe it will be beneficial to take a short break to get her mind off tennis, before commencing a training block and then entering ITF events to rebuild her confidence and match form.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts