Tennis Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1570 Posts

·
Registered
112,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,501
There is a charity event in Melbourne today
Federer, Nadal and Djokovic join with Kyrgios to play an exhibition on Wednesday to benefit the victims of fires in Australia. Osaka and Wozniacki will also participate in the "Rally for Relief" on the main court of the Australian Open.

·
Registered
83,498 Posts

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I'm glad Caro had fun playing doubles with Serena in Auckland. :)

It was also a nice surprise that she got a post match retirement tribute/presentation. :) Hopefully the Australian Open does similar given that she's a champion there! :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Maybe the last match of her career is R2 against Yastremska. I hope Caro will peak in every round and hope for Yas to have a bad day.

Just watch Yas play against Kerber. Ugh! this girl can outplay defensive player so well.

·
Registered
112,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,505
Round 1 wont be easy. Round 2 almost impossible. Serena in round 4 if Caroline is in her absolute best form and mental strength

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The ideal situation is she made it to R4 and play Serena one last time as her send off, but...

We all know she’s probably going out in R2, which means her last match is potentially on Wednesday

Then again, she did just lose to Pegula, so even Ahn is not a sure thing

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
Poor Caro

still can´t believe it is our last tournament guys..after so many years here together...

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Easy R1.
Tough R2 vs big talent Dayana.

Yes, so sad it will be the last tournament of her career :cry:

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Here the whole draw:

Win another Aus Open title, Caroline! ;)

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
A few days until it's all over... I guess it will take some time to process. I'll miss those sleepless nights waiting for her to play.

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
A few days? 14 days :)

Yastremska plays Kvali Kaja Juvan, we can hope Kaja can win!
Sad days where we must have hopes like this..

I can´t imagine a tour without sunshine.I am sad...

Wish her good performances just another time and hopes she makes it to week two somehow...

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
😢 😢 😢 😢

'It's going to be emotional'
- Wozniacki readies her farewell

On the brink of retirement, Caroline Wozniacki discusses her preparation for the 2020 Australian Open and reflects on her outstanding career.

By Courtney Nguyen - WTA Insider

Caroline Wozniacki Australian Open Getty

MELBOURNE, Australia - Caroline Wozniacki has done her best to keep things normal as she prepares for the final tournament of her career at the 2020 Australian Open.

The 29-year-old former No.1 announced in December that she would make one last trip to Melbourne before hanging up her racquet. That the Dane would choose Melbourne Park as her final farewell is understandable. Rod Laver Arena was the site of her maiden major title two years ago, where she upended Simona Halep to win the 2018 Australian Open and finally check off the one box missing on her long list of career achievements.
Now ranked No.35, Wozniacki is scheduled to play No.92 Kristie Ahn in the first round on Monday.
"So far I've just approached it like any other tournament," Wozniacki said during her pre-tournament press conference. "But obviously it's different since it's my last one.
"I'm just enjoying being out there. I've had some great practice sessions. I've done everything I could to prepare as well as I can for this tournament, then hope for the best."
"I'm sure once the last ball is hit, it's going to be a bit emotional.
Wozniacki played her final WTA event last week at the ASB Classic in Auckland, where she bowed out in the quarterfinals to Jessica Pegula but made the final in doubles with Serena Williams.

The Dane, whose accomplished career includes 30 career titles, over $35 million in prize money, and 71 weeks at No.1, said she had been wrestling with the decision for some time and says 'it just felt right'.
"I've achieved a lot," Wozniacki said. "I've given it my all. Every single day I go out and I work so hard to stay at the top or to get back to the top, whatever it may be.
"It doesn't feel the same. I still want to work hard, but I want to do something different. I want to try and achieve something else, some other things in life.
"Life is short. I know that the tennis career is short. There's plenty of time outside to do whatever I want. At the same time, you just have to go with what feels right.
"I'm out here, and I love the sport, I love everything that it's given me, I love being out there and competing, but I'm ready to start a new chapter in my life."

As she prepares to close the book on her career, Wozniacki says she has no regrets.
"I've worked so hard my whole life, my whole career," Wozniacki said. "I've given it literally everything that I have to reach where I got.
"Can you go back and say, Had I done this thing differently or this thing differently, maybe.
"At the end of the day, every single day I showed up, in practice and in matches, and I gave it my all.
"That's why I can look back at my career and say I'm very proud of everything that I've achieved, very proud of the ups and the downs. But especially to be able to just continually push myself to be a better player, I feel like I've given a lot to the sport that I can be very proud of."

·
Registered
83,498 Posts

·
Registered
83,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Possibly her last career win... Yastremska will likely finish her off in 2 :tears:

·
Registered
838 Posts
OK!'Now we're getting a match between Caro and Yas.

Hope Caro can play her high level and hope this match will set at Rod Laver Arena.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Possibly her last career win... Yastremska will likely finish her off in 2 :tears:
Yah, unless Caro rolls back the clock a few years and plays a great match or Yastremska plays horribly, Caro's going to lose.😥

1501 - 1520 of 1570 Posts