Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
721 - 740 of 5074 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Caro has won a premier tournament, 3 of them actually: Eastbourne and New Haven this year, New Haven last year (tier II).

It's been awhile since I payed close attention, but last I heard Martina had no real interest in coaching. Besides that Martina can't help Caro with a lot of the things she needs to improve: closing out sets/matches, being more aggressive, improving her forehand, and 2nd serve. Plus Martina couldn't coach her unique abilities/characteristics and great players often don't make good coaches.
Well when I was speaking about premier tournaments, I was making reference to $4,500,000 premier, I think they call them Mandatory (ex-Tier I) (I'm not quite accustom with all those premier tourney things).:wavey:
I think she has the talent to win one or plenty of those and as a top 5 now for Caro it would be to my mind a big achievement in her growing career if she could start winning some Mandatories.
It would impose her with that USO final as maybe contender for most of the other GS.

I'm saying that because Caro will not allways get the luck she got at the USO and there will necessatily be GS where Caro will have to beat lets say Serena, Venus and Jankovic if she wants to make the finals and if she shows that she can allready do that in a Mandatory well she's making a big step !

I agree. The aspects I was making reference as Martina-coach is the intelligence of the game and the way to use the angles. That's the style of game Caro uses but it's mostly short and not very destabilizing I find compared to those who uses that style the best !

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
180,885 Posts
I don't think we should expect more this year than she was in a Mandatory Finale in Madrid and in a GS Finale in US Open, winning 3 more Tournaments, means she's the 3rd best player in the Race so far this year.
But i hope she will be serious about China Open and her other tournaments this year, 5 point on her Ranking from a China Open early loss won't be good, if she want to stay at No. 5.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Yeah, that was why I said one-slam wonder > zero-slam wonder. Following Caro is actually a new experience for me. The other players I'd followed in the past were all expected to win multiple slams. Not that Caro won't, but she's not yet displayed the level of talent as those players. So following her may be slam-exciting one day, but there's also some chances this will never happen.

I think this is a combination of nerveousness and confidence in her shots. There are two ways to close out a game and therefore a set/match: wait for opponent to commit UE, or take the chance at a right time. It may depend on the opponent, but I think she needs to start thinking about the more aggressive approach. In attempting this, she will need to have confidence on her DTL shots from both wings.

She is now seen as a consistent defensive player and that is her style so far. I don't think she will deviate from it very much. What I'll like to see is some strategical mixes, like a couple of aggressive games strategically spread in her defensive games. This would disturb her opponent's rhythm and takes adjustment. If she can make a living out of this mixing style, her opponents can't take a offensive role safely for granted.

From her doubles match against the Williams, she seem to have an okay net game (but yeah still need improvement.) Her biggest flaw I've seen on net game is occasionally going to the net at the wrong moments and not going at the 'Damn go to the net now' moments. I don't know how to improve on this aspect other than watching her match videos and getting knocked on her head. Yeah, slice is good in changing pace and buying time. She hardly does it and I think she should do it more.

If you're talking about outright winners, she needs, again, confidence on her DTL shots. She's not a powerful hitter, so she has to do it with angles. I don't see many sharp angel crosscourts from her and I'm not sure if she's not comfortable with it. But yes, hitting an attempted winner on return at least once in a while may put pressure on opponent during their 2nd serves. Not a must though.

Her 2nd serve is okay so far, even though she'll get toasted by Serena or a healthy Masha. But yeah improvement is always encouraged on a reliable 2nd serve with hopefully a little more variations. In general, her game calls for deeper strokes near the baselines compared to a power-striker. She will have to improve on this if she wants an extended stay at top-5.
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Sanchez Vicario was the last pretty much strictly defensive player to win a slam and her last slam win was in 1998. If Caro wants to win a slam, she needs to find some sort of balance between defense and offense. She's got to go for her shots when appropriate like going for her backhand down the line and stepping in on short balls, stuff like that. I don't mean to suggest that she needs to make every shot a power shot though. :p Is that more or less what you were saying?

From the limited # of times I've seen Caro use a slice, it's pretty ineffective. Plus a 2nd handed slice just doesn't look right to me. Why doesn't Caro do a 1 handed slice?

I wasn't referring to just outright winners on 2nd serve returns. Simply returning a 2nd serve fairly deep would be pretty good compared to returns near the service line.

Someone who's 5 foot 10 inches tall really should be able to put some oomph into the ball when she needs to. :(

I wonder what Caro currently works on in training/practice.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Caro is in the top 10 in serveral stats for the season according to the Wta's stats after the US Open :) :

7th in aces with 161 through 80 matches
2nd in 2nd serve winning % at 50.3%
9th in 1st serve % at 68.7%
7th in % of service games won at 72.6%
5th in % of points won on 1st serve return at 42.5%
5th in % of return games won at 45.5%

Go to press center at wtatour.com and click on match stats or you can go directly there with this link:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/Match_Stats.pdf

There's a lot of talk about how defensive Caro tends to be. That leads me to wonder, what's the most aggressive match Caro's played this season and/or her career?

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I think when Caro played Sorana in the USO 2009 she really looked to play a highly offensive tennis. Since I've started following her that's the most offensive match I've seen of her coming to the net etc...

When following the USO, Brad Gilbert said that in her juniors Caroline played a lot of a mixing it up style of tennis and never used to overpower so I guess there's no offensive trace of her.

She might never be Martina but that's the type of tennis I'd love to see Caro get. Just a mix of everything...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Sanchez Vicario was the last pretty much strictly defensive player to win a slam and her last slam win was in 1998. If Caro wants to win a slam, she needs to find some sort of balance between defense and offense. She's got to go for her shots when appropriate like going for her backhand down the line and stepping in on short balls, stuff like that. I don't mean to suggest that she needs to make every shot a power shot though. :p Is that more or less what you were saying?
I guess we're talking about the same thing. Mixing it up & improving transition offense. I'm too lazy to find clips so I'll use Lunaris' clip in the GM thread as illustration. If I were Caro's coach, I'd have attempted molestation :devil:for her not going to the net after the lobs.

But it's a long way to long, and we're supporters, not her coach.

From the limited # of times I've seen Caro use a slice, it's pretty ineffective. Plus a 2nd handed slice just doesn't look right to me. Why doesn't Caro do a 1 handed slice?
Maybe this will be part of her development plan.

I wasn't referring to just outright winners on 2nd serve returns. Simply returning a 2nd serve fairly deep would be pretty good compared to returns near the service line.
From her recent matches, it seems her returns have gotten fairly deep but they usually lack angle. Have yet to see enough though.

Someone who's 5 foot 10 inches tall really should be able to put some oomph into the ball when she needs to. :(
I wonder what Caro currently works on in training/practice.
I guess you'll have to send her an email to ask for the answer. I don't have her phone #.:p

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
A translation of an article I have referred to before with Caroline and Piotr's Take On The Asian Tour. On the Articles and Interviews thread.

Playing Only To Avoid Fines

She will probably try her best as usual, but with all the pressure after USO maybe its better to say that and not win everything, than believe all the hype and expectations and say how far she reckons on getting, and the looking a flop when she doesn't.
My interpretation is that it's a big possibility she will drop Osaka and Luxembourg. This will give her the best start to Doha, I think.
But who knows what Team Wozniacki will do.

Origial article here.
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1223917.ece

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
This article says she's driving a BMW 120i convertible sponsored by Denmark's largest BMW dealer Jan Nyegaard: http://msndk.starlounge.com/index.cfm?objectid=42362
She got the car two days before Christmas.
This is for drivng in Denmark but officcialy she lives in the tax haven Monaco even though she seems to spend more time in Denmark than Monaco. Every time she has a break from tennis she seems to be in Denmark.

II don't think she even has a car in Monaco. The size of Monaco is just under 2 km², so you don't really have much need for a car to get around in Monaco as long as you don't go outside the borders. (An average person takes only 56 minutes to walk across the width of the country according to Wikipedia).

Denmark is one of the countires with the heaviest taxations on cars worldwide, approx 180% taxation. So the price of Caroline's BMW 120i with Danish license plates is DKK 557,900 (USD 110,386). In the US you can't even buy a BMW 1 series smaller than 128i. But the BMW 128i convertible starting price in the US is $34,000 MSRP, less than 1/3 of the price of Caroline's smaller 120i with Danish license plates.
A BMW 650i starting price in the US is $85,300 MSRP, which is still much less than Caroline's BMW 120i convertible in Denmark.

She might have swicthed the 120i for a 650i between the date of the two articles. It's probably not her own car but just a demo car borrowed by her BMW sponsor Jan Nyegaard.
But you can't get drivers license in Denmark before you turn 18, so she just recently got her drivers license and is rarely in Denmark to pratice her driving skills, so maybe the less powerful 120i is a safer choice than the very powerful 367 horepower 650i for a novice driver.

Caroline Wozniacki in her sponosred BMW 120i convertible:

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I finally got a chance to watch a lot of the US Open final yesterday and found it kind of lackluster. I guess I was expecting some good long rallies or something.

Although Caro played more aggressively than usual during the 1st set, I still think she needed to bring her aggressiveness up another notch to win that kind of match.

Caro's returns seemed to be landing short.

What was the deal with the tape on Caro's leg? Was it just precautionary? Maybe I missed something but I don't recall any explanation being given.

I'm a bit perplexed by how slow her 2nd serve was at the US Open. At Wimbledon, she was at 80 miles per hour or greater on her 2nd serve but at the US Open she was in the low 70s. Does Caro do a different 2nd serve for grass?

Caro's 11 match winning going into the US Open final was the longest of her career and she only dropped 1 set in the process. I think that's very impressive. :)

Caro has now achieved 3 of the main goals I was hoping she would achieve this year: win a title this year, make the top 10, and get past the 4th round of a grand slam. :)

Caro has a new blog entry on her website dealing with the US Open final. :)

Anyways, congratulations on making it to the US Open final Caro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Hopefully you can finish this great season strong. :)

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Well when I was speaking about premier tournaments, I was making reference to $4,500,000 premier, I think they call them Mandatory (ex-Tier I) (I'm not quite accustom with all those premier tourney things).:wavey:
I think she has the talent to win one or plenty of those and as a top 5 now for Caro it would be to my mind a big achievement in her growing career if she could start winning some Mandatories.
It would impose her with that USO final as maybe contender for most of the other GS.

I'm saying that because Caro will not allways get the luck she got at the USO and there will necessatily be GS where Caro will have to beat lets say Serena, Venus and Jankovic if she wants to make the finals and if she shows that she can allready do that in a Mandatory well she's making a big step !

I agree. The aspects I was making reference as Martina-coach is the intelligence of the game and the way to use the angles. That's the style of game Caro uses but it's mostly short and not very destabilizing I find compared to those who uses that style the best !

I think when Caro played Sorana in the USO 2009 she really looked to play a highly offensive tennis. Since I've started following her that's the most offensive match I've seen of her coming to the net etc...

When following the USO, Brad Gilbert said that in her juniors Caroline played a lot of a mixing it up style of tennis and never used to overpower so I guess there's no offensive trace of her.

She might never be Martina but that's the type of tennis I'd love to see Caro get. Just a mix of everything...
The $600,000, $700,000, and $1,000,000 premier tournaments are the equivalent of the former tier IIs. The 2 million dollar premier tournaments are the equivalent of the former tier Is. The 4.5 million dollar premier tournaments are the mandatory tournaments which used to just be Indian Wells and Miami but now include Madrid and Beijing.

I see Caro beating several top players at 1 tournament as being very difficult at the moment. Caro can beat a top player on occasion but what are the odds of several top players in a row making a lot of unforced errors? Not good I'd say. That's not good news when Caro is playing an overly defensive game.

Ah. Well the use of angles could be taught but I don't think Martina's court smarts can. I think to a certain extent courts smarts is something you either have or don't. Anyways, I'm not sure Caro would want any more coaches or even consultants besides her dad and the Addias folks.

That match against Cirstea alas wasn't shown on US tv aside from a couple of points on a highlight show. :( It's too bad she doesn't do that more often. Both Caro and Martina seem to have that same mindset of if I really don't have to be more aggressive to win this match than I won't be.

Brad Gilbert sure seems to like Caro. :)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
For me it's simple, Caro is not obliged to win slams regarding Kim Clijters who had won just one GS before this year and yet was still considered to be great !
People tend to focus only on slams wich is not specifically a bad thing but I think if Caroline gets an overall record of 40 titles with a slam someday, to my mind she will still be a great player !

I see Caro beating several top players at 1 tournament as being very difficult at the moment. Caro can beat a top player on occasion but what are the odds of several top players in a row making a lot of unforced errors? Not good I'd say. That's not good news when Caro is playing an overly defensive game.
There are "errors" and "ERRORS"... "errors" at 3 all doesn't mean nothing but "ERRORS" at 5 all 30 all is a whole lot different story ! If Caroline learns to keep her serve solidly, keep thing very tight in the match and let the opponent auto-destruct with the pressure by giving her the ERRORS that's it to my mind !
Then Caroline bashers can allways say that she's pushing just waiting for UE but unfortunatly they don't see the destabilization work that she does by mixing things up !:sad:

For me it's a strategy like ANY other to mix it up, wait for the UE at important points and run away with the match ! It's a sickness, people hate those who strategize a lot on a court, Murray has the same problem !

Ah. Well the use of angles could be taught but I don't think Martina's court smarts can. I think to a certain extent courts smarts is something you either have or don't.
Caroline is for me with no doubt the smartest girl on tour and in her generation ! But where she maybe still has to mature is to use that smartness in a better way or maybe more offensively !

That's what she's trying to do by beeing smart and coming to the net at inappropiate times, dropshoting, using destabilizing angles, short balls, high balls... just keeping the opponent off balance everytime not knowing what type of ball is coming next !

People say Caroline needs power, I think it's false yet I tought the same... Caroline needs to work on her touch and more again on the variations -- Serve and volley, sharp angles, dropshots and volley ! I think she could also add a slice defensive backhand in her game !

That match against Cirstea alas wasn't shown on US tv aside from a couple of points on a highlight show. :( It's too bad she doesn't do that more often. Both Caro and Martina seem to have that same mindset of if I really don't have to be more aggressive to win this match than I won't be.
I saw the whole match and I reviewed it on my computer and Caro didn't hit the ball harder than she habitually does ! She just wasn't backing off and was allways looking to come foward that's just it !

It would be hard for anyone to get to the net often when Serena's pounding lighting balls back ! And Caroline doesn't have the firepower to force herself to the net ! On the other hand she could be smart and at the moment she gets the short ball do something !

Brad Gilbert sure seems to like Caro. :)
:lol::lol:That's funny I got the same sensation everytime he was talking about her !

·
Registered
126,723 Posts
I totally forgot about US Open, yesterday I accidentally saw the result of the final and I was shocked. How could I have missed that! Karolina in the final and I didn't see that. :rolleyes:
Never mind now. I'm so happy for her. I hope I will have many chances to see her in GS finals in future. And I'm sure she will win few. Congrats to Caro and her fans. :D

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Tokyo draw out and it doesn't look to bad

Caro first round bye
Round 2: Wozniak or Date Drumm
Round 3: Petrova
QF: Kuznetsova
SF: Safina or Zvonareva

Only Hantuchova and Bammer as dangerous floaters and they can only meet Caro in QF's

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Tokyo draw out and it doesn't look to bad

Caro first round bye
Round 2: Wozniak or Date Drumm
Round 3: Petrova
QF: Kuznetsova
SF: Safina or Zvonareva

Only Hantuchova and Bammer as dangerous floaters and they can only meet Caro in QF's
You seem to have forgotten how Caro's last matches against Wozniak and Date Krumm went. :( I really don't like them as her 1st match of the tournament after several weeks off and possibly having an attitude of not really caring how she does in these fall tournaments.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Caroline to my mind has a good draw for at least the semis ! Hantuchova might lost to Kuznetsova but I think finally the most dangerous player in her draw would be Ai Sugiyama ! It's allways a little tricky to play her !

721 - 740 of 5074 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.