Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
681 - 700 of 5074 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"Fact. I am extreme allergic to might haves, could haves, should haves and to what other players .
At the end of the day I could really care less what you claim to be "allergic" to...:lol: I`ll tell you the same thing I told you in post #686 when you said this. Copy and paste.

I don`t see any "might" to it. Caro had the first set on her racket with a real opportunity to go up two breaks. Converting by maintaining her level would have greatly increased the pressure on an already nervous Clijsters.

She played as she did. I, even as a fan has to except that." .
I answered that as well, post #686.

That`s all anyone can do is accept it, but that doesn`t mean you have to be satisfied. I sure hope she isn`t satisfied with a serving tray, especially considering how things transpired in that match.

Do you think that is an effective way of debate, repeating over and over the same assertions while ignoring the responses that called your claims into question? :lol:

"This means I am NOT interested in "what might have beens" "What could have beens" "what should have beens" or "what other players have done with 3rd players" IE "Given Kim`s history of choking in slams" thats your interpretation of Kim's history and has absolutly no relivance to the way Caroline played.
:lol: It doesn`t make any difference what you are "interested" in. Caro dropped her game at some key junctures and never recovered her swagger. Here it is again. ;)

I don`t see any "might" to it. Caro had the first set on her racket with a real opportunity to go up two breaks. Converting by maintaining her level would have greatly increased the pressure on an already nervous Clijsters.

In fact no one here has even disputed this. Your best strategy is to just not read the posts of people that disagree with you. That`s the best "allergy" medicine of all... :lol:

"Caroline played the best she could in that match,
Wow, if there is anything to be "allergic" to here it is this wholly subjective assertion, and yes "personal interpretation." :lol: She was capable of no better, huh? What makes you think that? :lol: And what a loser`s outlook this is. It defeats the whole purpose of review and the practice of seeking to correct mistakes, which is most fundamental and basic to professional sports. I`m sure she doesn`t subscribe to your resigned outlook, nor do her coaches.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
"Wow, if there is anything to be "allergic" to here it is this wholly subjective assertion, and yes "personal interpretation."
She was capable of no better, huh? What makes you think that?
And what a loser`s outlook this is. It defeats the whole purpose of review and the practice of seeking to correct mistakes, which is most fundamental and basic to professional sports. I`m sure she doesn`t subscribe to your resigned outlook, nor do her coaches."

She was not capable of beating Clijsters on that day because she didn't, thats what makes me think that. "Ifs" and "what she should haves" are irrelevant because they didn't happen.

"The fact is that Caro dropped her game at some key junctures............"

Maybe she didn't "drop" a game but Clijsters won a game. Could be that Clijster was just better than Caroline that day, thats why she won.
No,.. Clijsters was better than Caroline that day thats why she won.

Because it is not me or you that is playing or coaching, our opinions are irrelevant to her and her achievements.
This is past, I am thinking more about her schedule up to Doha and how she will keep inside the top 10 next year with the restrictions that
come.

I am also thinking that your highly confusing posting style is part of the way to entrap the foolish like me into personal arguments.
If you want to enjoy this kind of trollish activity why not join kman in his totally absured and pointless contests with delicatecutter and his likes on GM.
Delicatecutter would certainly love your serving tray comments.

I am not interested.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She was not capable of beating Clijsters on that day because she didn't, thats what makes me think that.
Wow, fascinating and so "objective." ;) So one in sports always plays up to their capabilities? We just assume that? Wow, very ironic coming from someone who is "allergic" to "personal inpterpretations." Not to mention that it is a very strange one... :lol: Poor, helpless Caroline, never had a chance but at least she is "happy." I`m just not buying it hombre and don`t think that is how her and her camp view it. :)

"Ifs" and "what she should haves" are irrelevant because they didn't happen.
Analysis of where a player went wrong in a match is relevant and is done all the time by players, coaches, and sports commentators. It`s also allowed in this forum.

Maybe she didn't "drop" a game but Clijsters won a game. Could be that Clijster was just better than Caroline that day, thats why she won.
I said "dropped her game" meaning dropped her level. But duh, that is a another brilliant observation...:lol: In any sporting event the winner(s) always played better but if that were all there is to it then we might as well only log into scoreboards and forget discussion boards. There is a place for the sort of criticism and analysis offered here by myself and it`s done all the time in this forum, sports media, etc. Don`t like it? Simple. Don`t read it.

Because it is not me or you that is playing or coaching, our opinions are irrelevant to her and her achievements.
Yet another ludicrous statement. I don`t agree that "opinions" and analysis about what transpired in these matches, and how certain variables can change dynamics in a match are "irrelevant." Are you trying to stifle the discussion here and forbid content that is clearly allowed in this forum?

This is past, I am thinking more about her schedule up to Doha and how she will keep inside the top 10 next year with the restrictions that
come.
Fine. Go talk about whatever you wish to talk about. No one is chaining you here.

I am also thinking that your highly confusing posting style is part of the way to entrap the foolish like me into personal arguments.
:lol: I`ve been posting here about 20 months and never had any comprehension complaints from any Americans, Brits, or Aussies, and that also goes for other boards. I admire those that can handle two or more languages but sometimes they don`t get all the nuances of English.I try to avoid slang. Again, it`s all your choice. If you have comprehension problems ask for clarification or just don`t respond.

If you want to enjoy this kind of trollish activity why not join kman in his totally absured and pointless contests with delicatecutter and his likes on GM.
Delicatecutter would certainly love your serving tray comments.
:lol: Haven`t read what you refer to. Has this "kman" or "delicatecutter" ever started a picture thread in this Wozniacki forum, taken photo requests from anxious members here, and donated over 100 unique photos from their personal collection taken over two tournaments? What about you? If anything is trollish here it`s your ludicrous arguments used to try and stifle legitimate discussion for a sports message board. You`ve also amused me as well, and yea, I`ll confess I`ve enjoyed it. And go audition for moderator...:lol:

I am not interested.
Then adios, au revoir. Go talk about Doha and whatever else does interest you. That is also allowed here. :)

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,385 Posts
Can't stop of being sad but you think as a Belgian I would be happy because Kim won but I'm not as love Caroline more than Kim.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Very well thought post.

I have the same feeling. If Caro had won this tournament, she would have a huge baggage on her shoulder (kinda like that of Safina but from different ends of the spectrum.) Yes, a one-slam wonder is bigger than a no-slam wonder, but playing better and better and eventually earning one is more appreciative in my book. I look forward to that day.

So what do you guys think Caro should do (ie work on her game) to bring her game to the next level?
It's one thing if Caro gets other such opportunities but if she never makes it another slam final then this match could be one of her biggest regrets.

Here's my list of things Caro needs to improve to bring her game to the next level in order of what I think is most important:

1 I think she needs to improve her mental toughness. She's lost too many matches this year in which she was leading in a set but ended up losing the set plus too many roller coaster rides which she won but struggled quite a bit to close things out (matches like the Charleston semifinal against Dementieva or the 2nd round match against Wozniak in Cincinnati). She's gotta do a better job of closing out sets and matches.

2 Caro needs to try to be aggressive on a regular basis not just occasionally.

3 Caro needs to improve her forehand.

4 I think Caro could use some more variety in her game. I'd like to see her come to net which she seemed to do more of this at the US Open, use slices, and use dropshots on a kind of routine basis.

5 I think Caro needs to do more on 2nd serve returns. Her opponents a lot of times win a high % of points on their 2nd serves. She seems to be doing a better job on 2nd serve returns in recent weeks going by the stats.

6 Caro could use a lot better 2nd serve, however, she wins a high % of points on her 2nd serve normally for whatever reason. She was 3rd on the tour for the year in 2nd serve winning % at 50.6% prior to the US Open.

7 Caro could use better depth on her shots off both wings. I was watching one of her matches recently and noticed that a lot of her shots were falling kind of short as in around the service line. If Caro could consistenly hit deeper shots, it would give her opponents less opportunities to attack.

8 Not withstanding her last 2 matches at the US Open, Caro normally gets a good amount of pop on her 1st serve. If she could add a little more pop to her 1st serve or get a bit better placement, then she could win a few more free/easy points which could in very handy in crunch time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's one thing if Caro gets other such opportunities but if she never makes it another slam final then this match could be one of her biggest regrets.
Yeah, that was why I said one-slam wonder > zero-slam wonder. Following Caro is actually a new experience for me. The other players I'd followed in the past were all expected to win multiple slams. Not that Caro won't, but she's not yet displayed the level of talent as those players. So following her may be slam-exciting one day, but there's also some chances this will never happen.
Here's my list of things Caro needs to improve to bring her game to the next level in order of what I think is most important:
1 I think she needs to improve her mental toughness. She's lost too many matches this year in which she was leading in a set but ended up losing the set plus too many roller coaster rides which she won but struggled quite a bit to close things out (matches like the Charleston semifinal against Dementieva or the 2nd round match against Wozniak in Cincinnati). She's gotta do a better job of closing out sets and matches.
I think this is a combination of nerveousness and confidence in her shots. There are two ways to close out a game and therefore a set/match: wait for opponent to commit UE, or take the chance at a right time. It may depend on the opponent, but I think she needs to start thinking about the more aggressive approach. In attempting this, she will need to have confidence on her DTL shots from both wings.
2 Caro needs to try to be aggressive on a regular basis not just occasionally.
She is now seen as a consistent defensive player and that is her style so far. I don't think she will deviate from it very much. What I'll like to see is some strategical mixes, like a couple of aggressive games strategically spread in her defensive games. This would disturb her opponent's rhythm and takes adjustment. If she can make a living out of this mixing style, her opponents can't take a offensive role safely for granted.
3 Caro needs to improve her forehand.
4 I think Caro could use some more variety in her game. I'd like to see her come to net which she seemed to do more of this at the US Open, use slices, and use dropshots on a kind of routine basis.
From her doubles match against the Williams, she seem to have an okay net game (but yeah still need improvement.) Her biggest flaw I've seen on net game is occasionally going to the net at the wrong moments and not going at the 'Damn go to the net now' moments. I don't know how to improve on this aspect other than watching her match videos and getting knocked on her head. Yeah, slice is good in changing pace and buying time. She hardly does it and I think she should do it more.
5 I think Caro needs to do more on 2nd serve returns. Her opponents a lot of times win a high % of points on their 2nd serves. She seems to be doing a better job on 2nd serve returns in recent weeks going by the stats.
If you're talking about outright winners, she needs, again, confidence on her DTL shots. She's not a powerful hitter, so she has to do it with angles. I don't see many sharp angel crosscourts from her and I'm not sure if she's not comfortable with it. But yes, hitting an attempted winner on return at least once in a while may put pressure on opponent during their 2nd serves. Not a must though.
6 Caro could use a lot better 2nd serve, however, she wins a high % of points on her 2nd serve normally for whatever reason. She was 3rd on the tour for the year in 2nd serve winning % at 50.6% prior to the US Open.
Her 2nd serve is okay so far, even though she'll get toasted by Serena or a healthy Masha. But yeah improvement is always encouraged on a reliable 2nd serve with hopefully a little more variations.
7 Caro could use better depth on her shots off both wings. I was watching one of her matches recently and noticed that a lot of her shots were falling kind of short as in around the service line. If Caro could consistenly hit deeper shots, it would give her opponents less opportunities to attack.

8 Not withstanding her last 2 matches at the US Open, Caro normally gets a good amount of pop on her 1st serve. If she could add a little more pop to her 1st serve or get a bit better placement, then she could win a few more free/easy points which could in very handy in crunch time.
In general, her game calls for deeper strokes near the baselines compared to a power-striker. She will have to improve on this if she wants an extended stay at top-5.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
A German paper write Caro has a new bf, and guess who? the mens winner ;) BUT you can't believe all they write in that paper!

http://tv2sport.dk/node/39958
I read some time ago that Del Potro said that he wished he was going out with Caro after reporters asked if they were going out.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
According to what Caroline and Piotr said to the press yesterday, she has achieved her goals for 2009 already. Therefore she would like to drop the Asian Tour, but has too turn up for Tokyo and Beijing because they are compulsory, and she would get huge fines if she didn't.

My interpretation is that it's a big possibility she will drop Osaka and Luxembourg. This will give her the best start to Doha, I think.

But who knows what Team Wozniacki will do

·
Registered
214 Posts
According to what Caroline and Piotr said to the press yesterday, she has achieved her goals for 2009 already. Therefore she would like to drop the Asian Tour, but has too turn up for Tokyo and Beijing because they are compulsory, and she would get huge fines if she didn't.

My interpretation is that it's a big possibility she will drop Osaka and Luxembourg. This will give her the best start to Doha, I think.

May I see anywhere all they said? Any link?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

·
Registered
37,975 Posts

Tokyo isn't a mandatory tournament but Beijing is.

There are 16 seeds and no 1st round byes in Beijing except for the semifinalists in Tokyo. So Caro could conceivably face a top 20 player in the 1st or 2nd round. If Caro were to lose early in Beijing, it would be about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks til the YEC. So I'd kind of like to see her still play Osaka just so she doesn't have too much time to accumulate rust prior to the YEC.

681 - 700 of 5074 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.