Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
621 - 640 of 5074 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Both the WTA and USO sites have picked Clijsters as tonight's winner (so have I for that matter :angel:) but I really don't think Caro minds the role of underdog.
True and predictions are just that, predictions. Whoever is to hold that trophy up has to make it happen on the court and I think Caro has a real chance. :)

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Even with a loss tonight Caro will reach No. 3 or 4 in the Race List with her so far 1400 points won from the SF. She's has about 2200 points more than the No. 8 player, so ithink she's 99% sure in Doha,
Why do you compare her points to number 8? It's number 9 you should compare it to, as number 8 will also make the cut.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Only the last 1½ games.

#6 if she loses, #4 if she wins.
But doesn't Jankovic and Dementieva have to lost points ?? I'm suprised she would be only 6 if she looses !!

Caroline definitively has to take example on Roddick at Wimbly no one was giving him a chance and foretime he made that match an epic !

Caroline has to fight as hard as she can and more again cuz she's the BIG underdog and you never know what can happen with pressure :D:D

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
What a great match from Caroline. I loved her attitude all the way through.
Yah, 10 winners 21 unforced errors is great play from Caro. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yah, 10 winners 21 unforced errors is great play from Caro. :rolleyes:
I thought this was a great match from Caro! Not necessarily great play, but a great match. She played so well in the first set, she controlled the match until 5-4. Then even after losing the first set, she stayed positive and calm, believed in herself. It's impressive that she wasn't nervous in her first slam final ever. I'm truly impressed!

I hate that Caro and Kim had to play each other. I was too nervous for both players. Anyone who has been in this situation knows how much it sucks! :sad:

I think we can be really proud of Caro! I'm sure she's proud of herself. :worship:

·
The only girl in the world.
20,968 Posts
Hi folks :wavey:
I just wanted to step by and say what a great girl you all support in here :) She played great for her first Slam final and I hope there are many more to come :D
Nice of her to acknowledge the Danish and Polish fans :yeah:
Grats to Caro and to all of you in here!

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I think Caro played REALLY well considering everything. She upped her aggression like she had to if she wanted to win - which shows me she wasn't going out there to simply play her game and hope for the best. She knew she had to do more to beat Kim, and she certainly tried her best to do that. Very encouraging sign, that when it counts, Caro can take it up a notch.

She got a little too loose to start the second, which cost her, but overall a very nice performance from Caro and she should be proud. :yeah:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok now that she gone this far in a gs, please dont expect her to go deep every slam from now on. I surely hope she will but its not a given and the draw really turned out to be very favourable for Caro this time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrats Caro for such a great match.

It was a great match for Caro. The 10 winners didn't reflect the situation, because a number of shots from Caro would have become winners if the opponent wasn't Kim--who also returned everything.

Too bad she couldn't convert on her lead in first set. Things might have been a little different. Nevertheless it was really an enjoyable match, with so many quality rallies. I'm really proud for Caro for producing this level of play in her first slam final. She will win one.

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Congrats to Caroline and all of her fans who post here. Your girl has done very well and you should all be very proud of her. Many players mess up in their first GS final, but Caroline didn't, she really made it a match out there. And besides all that I'd like to add that she's not only a very good player but also a lovely girl and a credit to the game. I wish her all the best for the future. :yeah:

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Caro can be proud of how she conducted herself in her Slam final :yeah:

Now that the huge pressure of not passing a 4th round of a Slam is off Caro's shoulders. I hope to see a Caro rebirth and not be so timid as she can be in some matches. Caro you're a true elite player now aka top tenner I want to see a strong finish to the season especially in Doha.

Onwards and upwards Caro

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
Not surprisingly they're saying much nicer things about Caro in GM after her loss than they did after her wins! :rolleyes:

Though I had expected KC to win of course a part of me is sad that Caro lost the match, but another part of me feels it would have been wrong for Caro to win a GS this early in her career before her game has truly matured. It must be a great mental boost for Caro to finally make it past R4 at a GS and hopefully next season she can prove this deep run wasnt a one-time thing. She might not make it to another GS final already next year but I'll expect her to make it to the QF/SFs in at least 2 GSs. If her game continues to develop she should be ready to win one of the Big Four in 2011, beating more than just 1 top player on her way.

In the middle part of the first set Caro showed more than a few glimpses of where she should be going with her game. She had nice variety, came forward at the right moments and hit some great winners. She wasn't able to keep it up, though. When she had BPs for 5-2 and when she was just 2 points from taking the set at 5-4 she froze up and reverted to her safe game which isn't good enough to beat KC.
A part of her game which definitely wasn't good enough and befuddles me a bit were Caro's weak serves. For the first time during this tournament Caro's average 1st serve speed dropped beneath 90 mph. There had already been a slight dip during the SF which makes me wonder whether that thigh strain she was nurturing had something to do with it. I almost hope so. If it was a conscious decision to serve a little slower and safer because she was afraid of KCs returns on 2nd serves then it was a bad call. Or maybe it was just nerves.

In either case KC deserves to win, her being a more complete player than Caro. I like her a lot because she's very much the kind of player I hope Caro will develop into (minus the nerves, the injuries and a bit too many UEs). She's a great defender, moves and anticipates well, takes the ball early and has power in both BH and FH, good serve (and 2nd serve), she can turn from defensive to agressive in the blink of an eye if the opponent's shot is too short and she only goes to the net when she has her opponent well and truly under pressure. Congratulations to her and I hope she'll stick around for years to come, being something for Caro to strive for.

And finally; thank you, Caro, for giving us, your fans, an amazing two weeks where you've enrichened our lives and made us happy that we are WTFs. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Really pleased for Caro! She's had a fantastic 2 weeks and it doesn't matter too much that she didn't win last night...at least she made the final competitive. And I agree with C.W. that it probably would have been to early for her to win a slam.

All in all it's been an amazing peformance at the USO and hopefully it will be onwards and upwards from here! :yeah:

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
Use this to lighten your sorrows my fellow WTFs :)

Curr Prev Name DOB Nation Rank pts Tours
1 1 Safina, Dinara 27/04/86 RUS 9070 20
2 2 Williams, Serena 26/09/81 USA 7807 18
3 3 Williams, Venus 17/06/80 USA 6645 18
4 6 Kuznetsova, Svetlana 27/06/85 RUS 6060 21
5 4 Dementieva, Elena 15/10/81 RUS 6035 22
6 8 Wozniacki, Caroline 11/07/90 DEN 5850 28
7 7 Zvonareva, Vera 07/09/84 RUS 5460 24
8 5 Jankovic, Jelena 28/02/85 SRB 5320 22
9 9 Azarenka, Victoria 31/07/89 BLR 4592 17
10 10 Pennetta, Flavia 25/02/82 ITA 3490 26
11 11 Ivanovic, Ana 06/11/87 SRB 3155 20
12 13 Petrova, Nadia 08/06/82 RUS 3130 25
13 12 Radwanska, Agnieszka 06/03/89 POL 3000 25
14 15 Stosur, Samantha 30/03/84 AUS 2860 21
15 14 Bartoli, Marion 02/10/84 FRA 2825 25
16 18 Razzano, Virginie 12/05/83 FRA 2420 21
17 16 Cibulkova, Dominika 06/05/89 SVK 2405 23
18 19 Li, Na 26/02/82 CHN 2352 22
19 NR Clijsters, Kim 08/06/83 BEL 2310 3
20 17 Mauresmo, Amelie 05/07/79 FRA 2281 18

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
^ If Caro can get a couple of wins in Doha she could finish the year in the top 4 amazing :worship:
Beating a couple of top players in Doha would be amazing. :)

621 - 640 of 5074 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.