541 - 560 of 5074 Posts

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
The women's semifinals have been canceled for the day due to rain. :(

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
They cancelled after all that waiting. Bummer.

The scedule for tommorrow and below why I wont hold.

Day 13: Saturday, 12 September

Ashe Stadium

12:00 Start Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3] leads Fernando Gonzalez(CHI)[11]
To Finish 7-6(4) 6-6(3)

This match may be moved to Armstrong Stadium.
Men's Doubles - Finals
Lukas Dlouhy(CZE)[4] / Leander Paes(IND)[4] vs. Mahesh Bhupathi(IND)[3] / Mark Knowles(BAH)[3]

This match may be moved to Armstrong Stadium.
Women's Singles - Semifinals
Yanina Wickmayer(BEL) vs. Caroline Wozniacki(DEN)[9]

Not Before:20:00
Women's Singles - Semifinals
Kim Clijsters(BEL) vs. Serena Williams(USA)[2]

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Go Caro :wavey:

If people compare her to Azarenka one more time :eek: Vika only made the quarters on questionably her worst surface. Caro could make the final! :devil:
Caro and Vika are the top 2 players of their group, they are going to be compared to each other for a long long time.

Get ready to hear about Miami from Vika fans for the next 5 years or so :eek:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Go Caro :wavey:

If people compare her to Azarenka one more time :eek: Vika only made the quarters on questionably her worst surface. Caro could make the final! :devil:
Well Vika has 2 quaters in GS and 1 masters series title... And don't forget that Vika could have made the semis in AO if she had not fallen sick...
I think Vika's résumé is a lot more better than Caroline's because she started playing a lot more better in the majors than Caro.
Caroline had just needed some time to get pumped up and start building something in majors...

Some people mature fast and others just takes a little time... But if Caro wins the US, I think there would be definitively no elements for comaparison between these 2 ! :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Interesting. Vika turned pro sooner, `03 to Caro`05 so she has had more time to create results. She has made more prize money, $3,189,000 to Caro`s $2,120,000 but the Dane is about to see a very nice payday. Slam results, Vika has 3 R16s and 2 QFs. Caro also has 3 R16s and for this week at least a semi, final or win possible. On titles,Vika has 3 with a premiere. Caro has 6 with no premier. Naturally they both win a lot. Vika is 176-80 career. Caro is 162-66. That`s what I`ve worked up in a few minutes off the tour site and it all comes down to the value judgments you make when the doing comparisons. :)

It`s also hard to predict who will have the better career. Two very different styles of play. You`d think Vika with the aggressive game would be more likely to mow through fields and win slams. But Caro is still adding to her game, has a very good first serve, and no doubt has the better attitude of the two. In fact the Woz attitude is tops.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Isn't there a thread on GM about this :-
Caroline Wozniacki vs Victoria Azarenka. Who is better?

Call me boring, but "who is better" comparisons leave me cold, they are personal opinions so are never finished.
They are excuses for the "kman" and "delicatecutter" types on the GM to hack at each other. And for many to tell us for the 12345342980 time that Caroline is no good.

The one fact that is measurable is the fact that Aznarenka is 2-0 up h2h this year.
The other measurable fact is that right now Caroline is ahead on the rankings.
But if this makes her better than Aznarenka or reverse I still don't know, and don't care.

Any way 1 positive thing, I have just been thinking about.
There has been a lot of criticism of Caroline and her reliance on "on court coaching" to win.
" She wont get anywhere in a slam because of no coaching"
She played a tough match against Kuznetsova, was down and looked on past experience finished.
But she stayed strong, didn't crumble as we have seen in the past, and won.
A big "win" for her in the long run.

Another positive development mentally, was her handling of the home crowd thing. At Ao this year I think it had a lot to do with her loss against Docic.
But against Oudine she was just concentrated and focused.

So I see mental development there.

Errrrrrr................. Yes thats personal interpretation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
670 Posts
On Court Coaching?

Holy cow. I don't know how competent a coach Caro's father is. I'm not sure if he can give quality on-court coaching. Sven can't go to 1/3 of Caro's matches. She may be among the least on-court coached player.

Wozniacki vs Azarenka. Who is better?

All the who's better/greater discussions are silly, unless certain criteria (whether fair or biased--stats, #Slams, etc) are drawn beforehand. Furthermore, both are developing players, kind of like interns learning about the business. What makes us able to determine how well their careers will be 10 years from now?

In terms of demonstrated capabilities, apparently Vic has better firepower and a more aggressive game, which I enjoy and like. I haven't been able to watch her recent matches so I don't know how her attitudes and mental toughness have become.

Caro's assets are more inside her head. She has the game to do more in variety but she chooses not to--something that occasionally pisses me off. But, hey, she's producing results. It's better than hitting winners left and right but losing matches due to mental fragility or inconsistency. She has also improved her serves greatly. I remember about a year ago we were here talking about how weak her serves were.

Her match against Oudin, being a less nerve-racking match, gave me more time to look into her game. It seems she was playing with a well calculated strategy. She and Sven knew the crowd were likely going to be against her, so they played safe. Caro consistently hit to Mil's weaker backhand corner, allowing or forcing her to take chances. (ETA: I got this feeling because when Mil hit a nice winner due to the chances, Caro was as impassive as if nothing had happened.) If Mil could hit more winners than UEs, Caro's plan would fail. But Mil had been hitting more UEs than winners during her USO run, and in that match the ratio was almost 4:1. Caro didn't have to go to a riskier plan B.

Crowd

Caro seems to be able to draw crowds to her side easily. Look has to be a factor, but her bright smiles and friendly personality have to play a big part as well. Unlike folks in GM, the US commentators seem to like her and her smiles. She's also smart when doing interviews, always giving politically correct yet vacuous comments. She'll never make John Isner's dumb (even though correct) remarks.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Crowd

Caro seems to be able to draw crowds to her side easily. Look has to be a factor, but her bright smiles and friendly personality have to play a big part as well. Unlike folks in GM, the US commentators seem to like her and her smiles. She's also smart when doing interviews, always giving politically correct yet vacuous comments. She'll never make John Isner's dumb (even though correct) remarks.
At Eastbourne this year - she was popular with everyone there. She was on centrecourt every day for the last 3 rounds there and drew a good sized crowd.

Really hoping she keeps her focus for her continuously shifting SF (both time and court) against Yanina to make it to the finals.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
On Court Coaching?

Holy cow. I don't know how competent a coach Caro's father is. I'm not sure if he can give quality on-court coaching. Sven can't go to 1/3 of Caro's matches. She may be among the least on-court coached player.
Competent or not, there have been several matches ( I cannot name/remember which), where Caroline was doing badly and Piotr came on gave her a good, quite loud talking to (in Polish)and she went on too win. Piotr is not a tennis person (formerly soccer pro in Poland, Germany and Danmark), but an article recently said his strength is analasys, strategy, setting his daughter up and managing her strong will.

This US open has made me look at a lot of the negative things I have posted about her team , schedule development and neccesity of a tennis trained coach.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
On Court Coaching?

Sven never coaches Wozniacki even if he's presen't in the guest box. It's always her father Piotr who do the on court coaching. The only time Sven or someone else would replace Piotr as on court coach is if Piotr is not present at the match for some reason or another.
Piotr speak in Polish to Caroline, so I don't understand what he says but it seems to work, becuase Caro has often turned a bad match around after on court coaching from her father.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She's also smart when doing interviews, always giving politically correct yet vacuous comments.
"Vacuous"? That isn`t a word I use but one web definition says, "asinine or empty" so this could be interpeted as an insult...:lol: But I think you probably meant that she never takes the bait to say things that could be used against her. Like when asked about an opponent in an upcoming match sticks with generic replies like "She is a great player. It will be a tough one for sure but I`ll try to play my best and we will see what happens on the court."

·
Registered
670 Posts
At Eastbourne this year - she was popular with everyone there. She was on centrecourt every day for the last 3 rounds there and drew a good sized crowd.

Really hoping she keeps her focus for her continuously shifting SF (both time and court) against Yanina to make it to the finals.
That's good to know.

Competent or not, there have been several matches ( I cannot name/remember which), where Caroline was doing badly and Piotr came on gave her a good, quite loud talking to (in Polish)and she went on too win. Piotr is not a tennis person (formerly soccer pro in Poland, Germany and Danmark), but an article recently said his strength is analasys, strategy, setting his daughter up and managing her strong will.

This US open has made me look at a lot of the negative things I have posted about her team , schedule development and neccesity of a tennis trained coach.
Sven never coaches Wozniacki even if he's present in the guest box. It's always her father Piotr who do the on court coaching. The only time Sven or someone else would replace Piotr as on court coach is if Piotr is not present at the match for some reason or another.
Piotr speak in Polish to Caroline, so I don't understand what he says but it seems to work, becuase Caro has often turned a bad match around after on court coaching from her father.
Well, I guess we won't know how much help Piotr is giving Caro unless he's booted from the stand. Yeah, it would be nice to understand Polish to know what he says. But I think it also helps to see if she changes tactic after Piotr shouts at her.

"Vacuous"? That isn`t a word I use but one web definition says, "asinine or empty" so this could be interpeted as an insult...:lol: But I think you probably meant that she never takes the bait to say things that could be used against her. Like when asked about an opponent in an upcoming match sticks with generic replies like "She is a great player. It will be a tough one for sure but I`ll try to play my best and we will see what happens on the court."
Sorry I used the wrong word. Should be flat or hollow, I guess. It's like the example you gave, the kind of I call 'Jason Kidd' comments.

541 - 560 of 5074 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.