Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think she can get better? I couldnt see many of her matches on 2002 cause I was focused on other things, but I heard she was very good and reached the top 5...

now she's getting steadier, but she usually loses in the third round, is she playing worse now? is she slowly improving? do you think she'll reach her 2002 form?

do you think she'll make more GS QF's? :wavey:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
KournikovaRULES said:
Do you think she can get better? I couldnt see many of her matches on 2002 cause I was focused on other things, but I heard she was very good and reached the top 5...

now she's getting steadier, but she usually loses in the third round, is she playing worse now? is she slowly improving? do you think she'll reach her 2002 form?

do you think she'll make more GS QF's? :wavey:
She has had some personal problems in the last couple of years but now seems to be coming together. Naturally it will take time though. I'm sure she'll get better over the coming months.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Her ranking was hugely inflated. She just doesn't play and never played like a top five player.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I think she has vastly improved and must have trained hard in the off-season. At least she is not crashing out in the first round of every tournament like she used to. I can see her winning a tournament this year.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
Last year was a very bad season for Daniela.. she couldnt get pass at least the 2nd round, but that was due to personal problems and such.
This season, it seems as if things are taking a turn for the better. She, alongside her countryperson, Dominik Hrbaty, won the Hopman Cup. And in the tourneys she was entered in, she did one round better than last year. She challenged and took Elena Dementieva into 3 hard fought sets in Melbourne and battled with Svetlana Kuznetsova last week in Tokyo, making Svetlana work to win the match: 7-6, 7-6.

Daniela has the game but right now it's a matter of taking things one step at a time, slowly. She can definitely reach the QFs at a GS, she's done it before, and she can do it again.... maybe even go further perhaps? ;) :p

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Andrew. said:
Her ranking was hugely inflated. She just doesn't play and never played like a top five player.
Oh shut up yea she did :rolleyes: .....Watch some of her matches from the past and you will see :rolleyes: Yea she will improve she has been lately so we'll see what happens. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Daniela is a very good player! Two years ago her game was beautiful.. she could hit the ball so well and easy! Tough I think she will never reach the top 10 again. She will stay a steady top 20/30 player.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
-ernie- said:
Oh shut up yea she did :rolleyes: .....Watch some of her matches from the past and you will see :rolleyes: Yea she will improve she has been lately so we'll see what happens. :)
I saw many of her "good" matches from the past. While she was impressive at one point, she was in no way a top 5 player.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Andrew. said:
I saw many of her "good" matches from the past. While she was impressive at one point, she was in no way a top 5 player.
i;d dissagree with u :eek: She owned Justine in 2002 along with Dementieva, they are more developed players then also but still. please she was definately i top 5 player..

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
110,555 Posts
she should play a smarter schedule, she could have won Pattaya this week

with her ranking she will not be seeded in the big tournaments and so she face the top10 players early - and i think she is not ready yet to beat this top10 players
sure she gave Kuznetzova a good fight, but she need still a bit more to beat players like Kuznetzova

·
Banned
137 Posts
Matthias, she is still a Gold Exempt player, she needs to play big events.
She still has enough confidence in her as a top 50 player to play high tier events.
She will recover. Jennifer had even a tougher comeback before she won her first slam.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
110,555 Posts
Missing_Hingis said:
Matthias, she is still a Gold Exempt player, she needs to play big events.
She still has enough confidence in her as a top 50 player to play high tier events.
She will recover. Jennifer had even a tougher comeback before she won her first slam.
i hope you are right - would love to see her back in the top20 end of the year

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Part of her problem was that she burst onto the scene too quickly; her game wasn't ready for the results she got. Once she became a known commodity, some of the flaws in her game were exposed, and she fell back into the pack (her personal problems exacerbated this, of course). Her game still isn't fully-mature yet; physically, she's probably at about the level she was at in 2002, without the confidence factor added in that made such a difference. Once she started her downhill slide, she and Sears likely spent more time trying to keep her above water than trying to build on what they'd started in 2002.

IMO, her immediate future (i.e. 2005) needs to be spent concentrating on beating players 11-20 on a consistent basis. She says she's not setting goals this year, but that should be one; the 11-20 players are a better benchmark of her current level than are the Top Ten, who she probably isn't ready to beat consistently.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
When Daniela was ranked 5th, it was only the Williams and Belgians ahead of her and it was before everyone was getting injured. A 4th round and 3 quarter-finals at the Slams in a row helped get her to that ranking during her breakthrough year.

Her last 3 recent Slam results were all 3rd round defeats but one was to the eventual Slam winner and the other two were very narrow defeats, so she's bordering on getting into the second week of a Slam again.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
matthias said:
she should play a smarter schedule, she could have won Pattaya this week
Don't you think she suffers from the same problems Kournikova's problem, having an inflated public persona because of her looks which makes her a bigger draw than her level of play suggests, therefore she almost has to play the bigger events despite the fact she has less chance of doing well there than at smaller events?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
veryborednow said:
Don't you think she suffers from the same problems Kournikova's problem, having an inflated public persona because of her looks which makes her a bigger draw than her level of play suggests, therefore she almost has to play the bigger events despite the fact she has less chance of doing well there than at smaller events?

It's not like she's crushed by the top players anyway. She had two extremely tight matches against Dementieva and Kuznetsova this year.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
veryborednow said:
I think it was more what Albireo said. The "looks problem" is not so big if a player is aware of the need to improve her game. And on the top of that, Daniela had personal problems, so ..

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Well when dani played a smaller event at the end of last year she lost to Melanie Gloria :tape: but i have a feeling that was good because it made her train harder in the off season

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.