Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this article, it appears that Chanda may be injured (perhaps for a little while)....assuming this is fact and Chanda will be unavailable to be Daniela's Doubles partner at least through the US Open, what do you think Daniela should do?

Concentrate on Singles and not overwork herself?
or
Pick up a new doubles partner....and if so, who and why?

------------------------------

Old and new hats winning at Chase
08/06/2003

By JIM SHORT / The Press-Enterprise

CARSON - Conchita Martinez can be forgiven if every once in a while she looks around the locker room and doesn't recognize anyone.

She is 31 and most of those she grew up with on the WTA Tour are gone. Steffi Graf is Steffi Agassi, and pregnant with their second child. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, for years Martinez's partner on Spain's powerful Fed Cup teams, is married and retired. So are Gabriela Sabatini, Jana Novotna, Mary Joe Fernandez and so many others.

Martinez plans to stay a while. The 1994 Wimbledon champion and a winner of 32 singles titles in all on the WTA Tour, Martinez on Tuesday beat Tara Snyder, 6-4, 6-3, in a second-round match at the JPMorgan Chase Open at Home Depot Center, then rushed off to play doubles.

Meanwhile, Chanda Rubin, who won the tournament last year, withdrew due to right shoulder tendinitis. Rubin, the No. 3 seed this year, said she developed pain in the shoulder while practicing Tuesday and pulled out after seeking medical advice.

"I was advised by the doctor not to play to prevent further injury and avoid surgery," Rubin said in a statement issued by the WTA. "I was ready to play, but unfortunately I have to take some time to recover."

Viktoriya Kutuzova, a 14-year-old from the Ukraine, was making her tour debut with a 6-4, 6-4 first-round win over Lina Krasnoroutskaya, 19, of Russia, and 16-year-old Maria Sharapova upset 14th seed Nadia Petrova, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5.

What keeps Martinez going in a sport in which over 30 is considered over the hill? It's simple.

"I think I still play good tennis and I'm beating very good players at the moment, in the top 10," Martinez said. "That gives me confidence to keep coming back."

Martinez turned professional as a 16-year-old, and climbed as high as No. 2 on three occasions.

She is No. 13 this week and that, too, is evidence of her talent and her tenacity, for she missed the final six months of 2001 with a right Achilles' tendon injury and fell to No. 35, then struggled through the 2002 season.

The seventh seed here, Martinez is 26-14 this year, with wins over Lindsay Davenport, Jelena Dokic and Daniela Hantuchova (twice), and has been to the quarterfinals or better in six of her previous 14 tournaments.

She claimed her Wimbledon title in '94 by beating Martina Navratilova and the following year won a tour-high 63 matches and six titles.

"Those (mid-'90s) were my best years," said Martinez, who last fall became the ninth woman to top the $10 million mark in career prize money. "I would play final after final, or semifinal. It was always good. Now I have more ups and downs, but I still feel like when I'm playing at my best I'm playing good tennis."

She's still a problem for opponents, too, with heavy topspin groundstrokes, a good forehand and an abundance of high, arcing "moon balls." It's the game she's been playing for years and she said, "there's not much that I'm going to change."
-------------------------------------------

Since this is a specific thread with specific questions to ponder and discuss, I bet we can make Graham proud and keep it on topic for a day or two....wanna try...it might be fun!

· ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,629 Posts
for the US Open.. i think daniela should do doubles.. play with Jen again - or maybe perhaps Kim?

doubles also provides a bit of 'fun' for Daniela.. and she needs that on court

· Registered
994 Posts
If there's anything that Daniela is good at is doubles, she could try and focus as well as improve on it. Clijsters or Crapiati could work wonders with Daniela as partners.

Daniela's weak side, which is to say singles, will take much longer in healing, perhaps what she can do is CHANGE COACHES FOR GODS [email protected]

· Registered
3,589 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
for the US Open.. i think daniela should do doubles.. play with Jen again - or maybe perhaps Kim?

doubles also provides a bit of 'fun' for Daniela.. and she needs that on court
Dani will never play with Kim whilst she continues to be succesful with Ai.

I think she should skip the doubles at Toronto and the Pilot Pen, but play with Jenni if she is available at the US Open. If not, give the doubles a miss completely. That said, I'm sure she reaps benefits from playing doubles as it helps improve her net play, which we know can be a bit suspect at times.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Ok! I'll try to be on topic here! :eek:

I think Daniela should just skip doubles. Period. It is nice to see her play in doubles, because she is soooo good at it. But considering her recent performance, she should think about playing less. :angel: But of course, that is just my opinion.

· Registered
2,346 Posts
We're talking about one of the finest players in the world here! Theoretically, they should be queuing up to partner her and playing Doubles will give her an enormous confidence boost.

I think she should play as much tennis as she possibly can, I don't believe for one minute she will improve by running from her problems.

· Registered
140 Posts
IMO, there is no way she will skip doubles at the US Open, because of this, (IMO again) ideally she would not play mixed doubles. As much as we would all like her to, it is also unlikely that she will play with Kim, so GOOD LUCK DANI AND JEN!!! (my prediction, lol :D)

· Registered
12,754 Posts
Dani and JCap haven't really had the time to set the world alight yet, so I say stick wid(sorry Graham;)) JCap and give the pairing a chance to really work. If after a few more matches there is little evidence of improvement....I'm not really sure :)

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Jen seems to be in a position to help Dani a bit so they should perhaps give it another try together :) At least they won one of their games...
Normally I'd root for Meghann once again but they tried several times and it did not seem to work :sad:

· Registered
679 Posts
I think it will do her good to keep playing with Jen, plus now JenC is dating Mathew Perry....who plays Chandler in friends, Chandler and Chanda sound similar so will feel more comforatble.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
kysersoze said:
I think it will do her good to keep playing with Jen, plus now JenC is dating Mathew Perry....who plays Chandler in friends, Chandler and Chanda sound similar so will feel more comforatble.
Sorry, I have to laugh on this one :lol: :haha: Very good Kevin Spacey! Very good! :worship:

But does she have to play the doubles? ;)

· Registered
679 Posts
paycheck said:
Sorry, I have to laugh on this one :lol: :haha: Very good Kevin Spacey! Very good! :worship:

But does she have to play the doubles? ;)
I think she's either got to pull out of everything for the rest of the season, or enter into both the singles and doubles events at as many tourniments as she can. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages which we've all talked about before.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
I think Dani should still play doubles, because that will help with her singles performance. And since Clijsters has won 6 titles win Sugiyama this year, there's no way they will split. I think it'll be good if Dani can play with Capriati.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Why can't she play sparingly? :confused: I don't understand.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Because then, she won't be able to concentrate! I think in the pro. tennis world, you either play full time, or you take a few months off. Or you just can't concentrate with all the other stuff you have going on in your life!

· Registered
2,507 Posts
JLDementieva said:
Because then, she won't be able to concentrate! I think in the pro. tennis world, you either play full time, or you take a few months off. Or you just can't concentrate with all the other stuff you have going on in your life!
Then how come the Williams sister can do that. :confused:

BTW, it is not like she doesn't practice when she isn't competing. Tennis will still remain her top priority.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.