Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my commentary that will probably be neglected and left for dead, but this is me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Daniela really missed a golden opportunity tonight to show the world, and more importantly herself, why she got to the Top 5.

Most players gear up extra and shift into another mode for a night match. Look at Jennifer this year - new dress, new hair. Look at Serena in '02 - the catsuit.

I really feel Daniela should have recognized this special opportunity she was given. Put on a new dress, encourage the crowd to cheer you, smile, have fun, and play hard.

I'm not saying she would have won, but I'm really tired of seeing her look so meek and scared to death on court. Hit hard, but have fun and smile.

I'm not taking away Tanasugarn's great match - she did very very very well!!

But I truly feel that if Daniela would have taken this opportunity to "re-start" her US Open with a new attitude, new time of match, new court she may have been able to salvage her year.

· Registered
26,637 Posts
Seles said:
Ok, here's my commentary that will probably be neglected and left for dead, but this is me.

Daniela really missed a golden opportunity tonight to show the world, and more importantly herself, why she got to the Top 5.

Most players gear up extra and shift into another mode for a night match. Look at Jennifer this year - new dress, new hair. Look at Serena in '02 - the catsuit.

I really feel Daniela should have recognized this special opportunity she was given. Put on a new dress, encourage the crowd to cheer you, smile, have fun, and play hard.

I'm not saying she would have won, but I'm really tired of seeing her look so meek and scared to death on court. Hit hard, but have fun and smile.

But I truly feel that if Daniela would have taken this opportunity to "re-start" her US Open with a new attitude, new time of match, new court she may have been able to salvage her year.
Your thoughtful posts should never be left for dead! ;) Contrary to something posted in another thread, I'm totally UNSURE what problem Dani has or doesn't. Re. your suggestion, (perhaps!): "the mind was willing but the body wasn't"?

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Some good points. I mean, come on girl...you are earning millions playing tennis and you wanna walk around crying?! Get a grip on yourself!!

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
Seles said:

Couldn't agree more.. If I were handlers, I'd encourage her to take some time off after the US Open to get herself together.. She is like #15 in the championship race, so I don't think she should worry about making it this year. :tape:

· Registered
851 Posts
Daniela really should've taken out Tamarine in straight sets. How she lost is a mystery to me. Yes, I admit Tamarine played well, but normally, Daniela would've had a much bigger chance of taking her out. :fiery:

· Registered
851 Posts
Oh well :D More like the end of Daniela's world (j/k) ;)

· Registered
4,080 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Contrary to something posted in another thread, I'm totally UNSURE what problem Dani has or doesn't.
Hmmm... let's see about that.

From June 11:
JollyRoger said:
G, the person with a problem like anorexia is often the last to realize it. God forbid she [Hantuchova] were to suffer the same fate as 70's pop singer Karen Carpenter, the WTA might develop a serious program to help players who have "real life issues".

From June 22:
JollyRoger said:
You assume she knows that she has a problem. Perhaps the reason the powerful IMG has not done what you, dear ENABLER, would call "defending her" is that they don't want to look as in De-Nile as you are now. BTW, if the "truth" was in her favor here, wouldn't Dani and Nigel be telling it the same?

From August 1:
JollyRoger said:
Maybe SJW or someone else from Olde England can ask Enabler-in-Chief Nigel Sears how come his "fish 'n chips diet" hasn't seemed to help!

For someone who claims to be "totally UNSURE" about what's ailing Hantuchova, JR, you certainly are quick with the anorexia-related talk. ;)

Reactions: Tarsius

· Registered
2,949 Posts
janie said:
I feel bad for her; it is hard to watch such a young person looking so burdened and tense. The contrast with the very animated, eager Tammy only made Daniela look that much more stiff. :sad:
I feel bad if I think about Daniela 2002, rising to the top, having fun, no complexes. One really starts to wonder what happened. I can't think of anything else than that it all went a bit too fast for her...

· Registered
1,050 Posts
She and her handlers allowed it to go to far to fast. When someone keeps talking about the fact that "I'm just a tennis player and am only concerned with tennis" and shows up at a match wearing a cocktail dress what do you think? And when a player starts to concern themselves with being models and allow her legs to be measured so that it is all splashed out in papers, there is bound to be attention and the endless circle of feeding off that attention.
The needs of the endorsers who want maximum benefit, and the needs of the athlete who wants to make the most of the opportunities, coupled with a relatively shy human being who just wants normalcy, RIGHT THERE YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM!

· Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a brother who is absolutely gorgeous (even if I say so myself). He is very shy and a very private person. He is a systems engineer (good career choice for him)
He has been approached by many modeling agencies and scouts, who think he looks a bit like Tyson Beckford, only younger and perhaps better according to them. He has steadfastedly refused to have anything to do with them, because even though he may end up making a lot of money, he will be selling himself and he does not want to do that.

The moral of the story is that while the life in the spotlite is good for some people, who just seem to relish it (Martina H. comes to mind), there are others out there who may be curious initially but just cant stand being in the fish bowl, and Daniella seems like that. (I may be worng because I'm judging her from the telly screen, but she seems shy and private to me)

· Registered
26,637 Posts
Albireo said:
For someone who claims to be "totally UNSURE" about what's ailing Hantuchova, JR, you certainly are quick with the anorexia-related talk. ;)
Yes, I'm unsure WHAT Dani's '03 problem is/was. NOT that it existed/may still. As there's been some modest improvement, I hope it's largely a bad memory by the '04 Oz season. But being unsure WHAT it clinically is/was will not stop me from saying that it surely looked like a possible eating disorder, and Sears was BS'ing the media this spring. IMO, if you really care you don't sweep something under the rug; the fact that she might have been headed for not just the awful play she's shown this year, but possibly far worse, IMO justified raining on the fantasy world of those who deify a player, "come hell....." :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.