Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's made it! LOL!

Making A Racket

This Grand Slam season, brace yourself for some brilliant tennis—and exhilarating twists on the classic white dress.

Back in the forties, designer Ted Tinling made waves with the lace panties worn by “Gorgeous Gussie” Moran. Later, in the seventies—when Virginia Slims was not just a politically acceptable but an actually hip sponsor of the women’s pro circuit—he upped the court prescence of Rosie Casals with his big-collared rhinestone dresses. Multimillion-dollar sponsorships by megabrands eventually put the likes of Tinling out of business—but now those same companies are rediscovering the magical chemistry between tennis and fashion. And this summer, the most fashion-y sweat-wicking styles ever will hit the Grand Slam circuit.

To be sure, tennis outfits have long been a frequent topic of courtside chatter, what with Anna Kournikova in her hip-high skirts, Venus with her technicolors, and Serena and That Catsuit. But designers and players alike have at last abandoned the idea of pushing the envelope. There is no need to do so, they seem to have realized, now that women’s tennis is getting the attention it deserves. Instead, Nike, Adidas, and Reebok have thrown their weight behind a more sophisticated cause: shaking up the country-club dress code with refined detailing rather than skin exposure.

“One of my goals,” says Daniela Hantuchova, a Nike sponsoree, “is to bring new ideas from the fashion shows to the court.” And so, whenever she flies to the Nike headquarters in Oregon, she arms herself with images clipped earnestly from magazines or samples hauled directly out of her own closet. This summer, she wanted asymmetrical hems, plunging necklines and sheer, meshy fabric. The Nike team responded with a blue two-piece for Paris and a white one-piece for Wimbledon—engineering a lightweight performance material that’s just as see-through as lingerie mesh.

Reebok, which dresses Venus Williams, went so far as to enlist the help of Diane Von Furstenberg. “Her vision was our vision,” says Jan Sharkansky, Reebok’s vice president of women’s apparel. They loved the idea of a corset dress, both because it was chic and it would make an ironic reference to tennis’s shirt-waisted past. (“In my imagination,” DVF says, “tennis starts in the 1920s, when women threw away corsets and became lean gazelles with narrow bodies. It was glamorous, emancipating.”)

The process wasn’t simple. Silk chiffon, that DVF staple, doesn’t usually hold up well when you’re sprinting under the boiling sun. Then there’s the built-in bra that Venus is accustomed too. Eventually, though, form and function were brought into harmony, and von Furstenberg and company developed an ingenious corset that, when properly cinched, actually supports the chest as well as any sports bra. At the unveiling, Venus’s eyes reportedly lit up at the sight.

We’ve come a long way, baby. –Joanne Chen

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
That's the dress Daniela was wearing in that Rome promotion for Wimbledon!!! :eek:

that is a BEAUTIFUL DRESS! :worship: :worship: :worship:

wowow... Daniela is like a fashion designer now! hahaha thats cool.. and im sure all her dressees will be so prettY!!!

Thanks Mrs_Guga!!! :wavey: its great!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, as the senior member of the CP, and a father, I have to maintain my comp... OHBABYOHBABYOBABY! YOWSA! wooHOO! ...osure and state that she looks quite attractive in that outfit, even moreso than the original picture I posted.

..Joe

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this in GM-- people made stupid comments about her weight again and I got mad. LOL! Oh well, maybe they are jealous that their favorites don't get to design their own beautiful outfits

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
I posted this in GM-- people made stupid comments about her weight again and I got mad. LOL! Oh well, maybe they are jealous that their favorites don't get to design their own beautiful outfits
haha wait til i visit the GM... :devil:

maybe they are jealous b/c their faves arent as beautifull and talented as Daniela is! :worship:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dont bother with those people. Nothing Daniela can and will do will change their narrow minds. Thats just the way it is. As for me... Im not even going to try. Its not worth the effort of typing.

EDIT: OK, I take that back... its a little slow today and I had nothing better to do so I answered the tireless jibes on GM. In hidsight... it wasn't worth it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
joegerardi said:
Well, as the senior member of the CP, and a father, I have to maintain my comp... OHBABYOHBABYOBABY! YOWSA! wooHOO! ...osure and state that she looks quite attractive in that outfit, even moreso than the original picture I posted.

..Joe

Oh my god joe, you made me laugh soooo much . I could imagine you saying: OHBABYOHBABYOBABY! YOWSA! wooHOO! :worship:
(I imagine you're still drolling as much as I am right now ;) :drool: )

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
marquinho_85 said:
Oh my god joe, you made me laugh soooo much . I could imagine you saying: OHBABYOHBABYOBABY! YOWSA! wooHOO! :worship:
(I imagine you're still drolling as much as I am right now ;) :drool: )
me too! :worship: i could imagine my dad! :eek: ;)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
Yes, it's a case of jealousy and envy. No need to worry.... it's natural after all :angel: :cool: :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
GrahamD said:
:hearts:
:hearts:

She just gets more and more beautiful every day, if that is possible.

Hi Graham!

Great minds think alike! I think i posted almost the same words to you in a personal message!!! :).

Hello everybody, I have been swamped with work the last week...but its great to see the CP humming along...THE NEW DANI PIX ARE JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!....Alhough, frankly i think she is making more waves this year OFF court than ON court...more on that later...

thought i had kicked the habit...but its good to be back :). SHE JUST LOOKS HOTTER AND HOTTER WITH EVERY PICTURE. The ones I liked best were the Awards pix and that DYNAMITE dress...its perfect for her... shows off those Billion $ legs the right way... The Vogue pix is Sexy (imho)...but what the heck it Vouge right!

Its interesting how S. Williams goes around clamoring for attention and stating how 'sexy' she is..and then there is Dani!! knocking them all dead (at least in this category).

best,

allT.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
“One of my goals,” says Daniela Hantuchova, a Nike sponsoree, “is to bring new ideas from the fashion shows to the court.” And so, whenever she flies to the Nike headquarters in Oregon, she arms herself with images clipped earnestly from magazines or samples hauled directly out of her own closet. This summer, she wanted asymmetrical hems, plunging necklines and sheer, meshy fabric. The Nike team responded with a blue two-piece for Paris and a white one-piece for Wimbledon—engineering a lightweight performance material that’s just as see-through as lingerie mesh. ..."

Take it from somebody who is involved in the fashion Biz. Dani. will have a lot to work with and she the perfect body to model it on court. Very smart.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
Useless to deal with the GM board, bunch of stupid brainless piranhas...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I know... hahaha! I get baited soooooo easily and my big mouth goes off! Hahaha!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Wow. Speak of the devil. It's guga.

Very nice pic of her. No offense I hope, but IMO the pic looks a bit photoshopped

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
enjoy it peterson:

me--->
<----peterson

peterson having fun---->

:devil: :devil:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Everyone do me a favour please :) . Over on GM, Anton has been slagging Daniela at every opportunity recently. You may know this guy is on a serious ego trip with his rep points - check out his signature - it might be good to drop him down a peg or two by disapproving of his posts and knocking off a few of his oh so precious rep points, maybe then he'll realise not to mess with the CP by slating Daniela at every opportunity. His latest 'effort' is in a post about Dani wearing this dress at Wimbledon. Thanks! :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts