Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
joegerardi said:
The Bank of the West Classic on 7/21 through 7/27.

I wonder is she's really going to do it...

http://www.bankofthewestclassic.com/players/default.asp

..Joe
Thanks Joe, we've already discussed this in the 'When news isn't news' thread and the popular belief is that it is a trade-off for her non-appearance in the Fed Cup. The Slovak team don't pay her enough to play so she threatens to play elsewhere, as in the the Bank of the West. Slovak team gets desparate and up their offer to Dani to play. I know it sounds like she's being greedy but I just think she's trying to manage things more responsibly and if she feels she isn't getting her just rewards for representing her country then that's fine. I hope she doesn't play in either, but given the choice, the Fed Cup would be preferable as she didn't even play at this other tin pot event last year.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
GrahamD said:
Thanks Joe, we've already discussed this in another thread and the popular belief is that it is a trade-off for her non-appearance in the Fed Cup. The Slovak team don't pay her enough to play so she threatens to play elsewhere, as in the the Bank of the West. Slovak team gets desparate and up their offer to Dani to play. I know it sounds like she's being greedy but I just think she's trying to manage things more responsibly and if she feels she isn't getting her just rewards for representing her country then that's fine. I hope she doesn't play in either, but given the choice, the Fed Cup would be preferable as she didn't even play at this other tin pot event last year.
And check this one out:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_309017,00070002.htm

Not sure the implications. The Slovaks didn't have much chance whether or not Cervanova played, but now they have *no* shot.

Re: my speculation about Fed Cup-- I honestly think DH is just a pawn in the whole scenario. From her comments last year, she seemed to really want to try to defend the Fed Cup title; someone wants more money for her to play, and I think it's higher up. In Camp DH, the only person whose opinion matters less than DH is Nigel, apparently.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
her mom's her manager right? i read it somewhere that in 2001 (i think) Daniela didn't play FedCup coz her mom/manager didn't think they were paying her enough.

don't quote me on this.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
u r quite right...but it is more complicated

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
mousee said:
u r quite right...but it is more complicated

Uh oh, now we're gonna have to beg for the full story.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

We gotta know!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
OK beg a bit more...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
until then...ill look for that article :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
but today im too tired...tomorrow OK?
remind me that...ill translate it

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
mousee said:
but today im too tired...tomorrow OK?
remind me that...ill translate it
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
829 Posts
OK mousee, times up! Where's the goods?! :devil:

That news on Cervanova has really got to be the nail on the defending Champions coffin for this year's defense. What the hell happened to Nagyova or Hrozenska? I know they ain't powerhouses, but at least they're more experienced.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
there are some injuries this time

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
i hope Daniela is making a right decision... :unsure:
if she thinks she can play, then i [we] can only wish her luck...
if other people are suggestion her to play.... well they need a good look at Dani right now...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
No matter how complicated her management team is, one thing is for sure, the decision makers don't give a damn about Daniela's condition. :mad: From what I have seen, heard, read, Daniela is not fit to play at this moment and it doesn't seem like she wants to play. And what Daniela feels ain't on top of their priority list, that is for sure! :fiery:

But if Daniela is scheduled to play next week, then she has my full support.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
paycheck said:
No matter how complicated her management team is, one thing is for sure, the decision makers don't give a damn about Daniela's condition. :mad: From what I have seen, heard, read, Daniela is not fit to play at this moment and it doesn't seem like she wants to play. And what Daniela feels ain't on top of their priority list, that is for sure! :fiery:

But if Daniela is scheduled to play next week, then she has my full support.
There IS one plausible, non-money, non-conspiracy possibility as to why she's playing Stanford: it could be that Camp DH is going to use this tournament to test whether DH is ready/able/willing to try to play the hardcourt season. If she does well at Stanford, they might assume that she's over the Wimbledon debacle. If not, then who knows. There's likely to be a walking-on-eggshells feeling regarding her return to the game, so they may choose to get it over with early as a benchmark for her US Open prep. The field isn't overly strong at Stanford; DH will be seeded third or fourth, and she hasn't beaten the players seeded above her yet, so the expectations won't be so high.

I'm not condoning her appearance at Stanford; I still think she needs at least six weeks off. But this is as good an explanation for her entry into Stanford as I can think of.

And there's still the IMG factor. Almost all the players entered are IMG clients; IMG owns and manages the tournament. Can you say 'contractual obligation?' I knew you could!

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
heres somewhat of a good news... i was searching around.. and i found out that Dani isnt committed to LA on August4th!

she is playing: Standford, San Diego, and Toronto
so far...

·
Registered
172 Posts
chapel said:
her mom's her manager right? i read it somewhere that in 2001 (i think) Daniela didn't play FedCup coz her mom/manager didn't think they were paying her enough.

don't quote me on this.
She did play in that match (v Russia July 2001) and played two singles matches. Daniela was only contracted to play those two matches.

If I remember rightly the row erupted when they then asked her to play the deciding doubles match as well, for which there was no contract. There was some disagreement over payment, though maybe not involving Daniela herself.

Daniela's contract was for less money than the other team members and she played the two singles matches for less money than the others.

There may have been some discussion over Daniela receiving the same rate as the other players for the doubles match, which Daniela was quite willing to play - but the other Slovak players (or Nagyova and Habsudova anyway) refused to play the match with her. I'm not sure anyone knew exactly why or exactly what the behind the scenes discussions had been.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the conclusion was that Daniela was quite willing to play the deciding doubles - even with no contract for it - but the other players refused to play with her.

Though it was a Slovak fan of Daniela who told me that :D

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
dhnet2 said:
I think the conclusion was that Daniela was quite willing to play the deciding doubles - even with no contract for it - but the other players refused to play with her.

Though it was a Slovak fan of Daniela who told me that :D
Another piece to the puzzle. 'Tis passing most strange....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.