Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DANI in American VOGUE! (pics and article about Anna, Venus & Dani's summer outfits)

This is a nice read, if you are into fashion I guess!! I am so proud of Venus to be working with a fashion great like Diane Von Furstenberg... WOW! I am jealous.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making A Racket

This Grand Slam season, brace yourself for some brilliant tennis—and exhilarating twists on the classic white dress.

Back in the forties, designer Ted Tinling made waves with the lace panties worn by “Gorgeous Gussie” Moran. Later, in the seventies—when Virginia Slims was not just a politically acceptable but an actually hip sponsor of the women’s pro circuit—he upped the court prescence of Rosie Casals with his big-collared rhinestone dresses. Multimillion-dollar sponsorships by megabrands eventually put the likes of Tinling out of business—but now those same companies are rediscovering the magical chemistry between tennis and fashion. And this summer, the most fashion-y sweat-wicking styles ever will hit the Grand Slam circuit.

To be sure, tennis outfits have long been a frequent topic of courtside chatter, what with Anna Kournikova in her hip-high skirts, Venus with her technicolors, and Serena and That Catsuit. But designers and players alike have at last abandoned the idea of pushing the envelope. There is no need to do so, they seem to have realized, now that women’s tennis is getting the attention it deserves. Instead, Nike, Adidas, and Reebok have thrown their weight behind a more sophisticated cause: shaking up the country-club dress code with refined detailing rather than skin exposure.

“One of my goals,” says Daniela Hantuchova, a Nike sponsoree, “is to bring new ideas from the fashion shows to the court.” And so, whenever she flies to the Nike headquarters in Oregon, she arms herself with images clipped earnestly from magazines or samples hauled directly out of her own closet. This summer, she wanted asymmetrical hems, plunging necklines and sheer, meshy fabric. The Nike team responded with a blue two-piece for Paris and a white one-piece for Wimbledon—engineering a lightweight performance material that’s just as see-through as lingerie mesh.

Reebok, which dresses Venus Williams, went so far as to enlist the help of Diane Von Furstenberg. “Her vision was our vision,” says Jan Sharkansky, Reebok’s vice president of women’s apparel. They loved the idea of a corset dress, both because it was chic and it would make an ironic reference to tennis’s shirt-waisted past. (“In my imagination,” DVF says, “tennis starts in the 1920s, when women threw away corsets and became lean gazelles with narrow bodies. It was glamorous, emancipating.”)

The process wasn’t simple. Silk chiffon, that DVF staple, doesn’t usually hold up well when you’re sprinting under the boiling sun. Then there’s the built-in bra that Venus is accustomed too. Eventually, though, form and function were brought into harmony, and von Furstenberg and company developed an ingenious corset that, when properly cinched, actually supports the chest as well as any sports bra. At the unveiling, Venus’s eyes reportedly lit up at the sight.

We’ve come a long way, baby. –Joanne Chen

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
thanks to you Mrs_Guga--very nice outfit--mesh sounds interest--70s maybe is comed back--maybe not

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice face and hair... but yeah... she does look too skinny on this pic!!!

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
waht the hell has nike been doing? nothing. theyve been using mesh for the last year. that dress really doesnt look that different to me than the shit from last year. same old, same old.

and dani looks far too thin there :sad:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
~\/enus~ said:

She looks like a skeleton with hair... :eek:
And Venus looks like a beamstock...

okay, I don't mean that-- But what if I did?! It would be such a stupid thing to say!! Who cares what she looks like and who cares what Dani looks like. So Dani is pretty damn skinny?! Okay, we heard the world the first 8 million times... can everyone shut-up about it now?! Her fans shouldn't have to put up with such comments day in--day out, and as a Venus fan, I am sure you can empathize as Williams Sisters fans have too witness ignorant comments all to frequently. Do unto others as you would have done unto you or however that saying goes, please...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
And Venus looks like a beamstock...

okay, I don't mean that-- But what if I did?! It would be such a stupid thing to say!! Who cares what she looks like and who cares what Dani looks like. So Dani is pretty damn skinny?! Okay, we heard the world the first 8 million times... can everyone shut-up about it now?! Her fans shouldn't have to put up with such comments day in--day out, and as a Venus fan, I am sure you can empathize as Williams Sisters fans have too witness ignorant comments all to frequently. Do unto others as you would have done unto you or however that saying goes, please...
Sorry, her weight seems very unhleathy...this is not an ignorant comment. Everyone knows she should gain weight, and people won't stop mentioning it til its done.

And what's a beamstock!?!? :confused:

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
nike has no creativity when it comes to their apparel line. luckily, they know how to make a sneaker nice.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
im sorry but that dress kinda looks a little trashy, and im shocked that its gonna be allowed at Wimbledon. why doesn't she play in tighty whities and a bra then?

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
naldo--shuts up dont insult girl--she is very beauty--not ugly--show off her outfit

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
shut it Jordan
:wavey:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
i open it--dont told me what doing--no one is told me thats

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Dani doesnt look like a skeleton. She looking stunning there! :hearts: and that dress is HOT! :drool:

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
foto

Re the foto, yes she's cute but a bit too thin for the grueling WTA tour.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
It's sad that people say that she looks beautiful and stunning.

Young girls could see this and think they need to look like that to be considered pretty. She is a bad example of a beautiful woman.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts