Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gabriela Dabrowski and Luisa Stefani were leading 2-0 in the first set tiebreaker against Coco Gauff and Katy McNally. Dabrowski served the third point and Stefani (who was at the net) tried to move and immediately fell to the ground writhing in pain.

This did not prevent Dabrowski from maintaining the rally for two more shots and then missing her third shot wide.

You certainly have to admire Dabrowski’s ability not to get distracted during a critical point in a tiebreaker. You might also be wise not drop a hundred dollar bill in her sight line.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,150 Posts
I feel like this was up to the umpire to do something. It was obvious something wrong had happened and the rally was neutral.

It was "only" a physical injury but every second counts when it's an heart attack or a stroke.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Stefani fell in a “quiet” manner, I could initially hear no anguish to indicate she had seriously hurt herself so safe to say in the moment it was assumed she’d had a stumble and continue.

·
Registered
33,150 Posts
Stefani fell in a “quiet” manner, I could initially hear no anguish to indicate she had seriously hurt herself so safe to say in the moment it was assumed she’d had a stumble and continue.
The fact that she wasn't moving or even trying to pick up her racquet and jump for a surprise poach was a sign that something serious was going on.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Gabriela Dabrowski and Luisa Stefani were leading 2-0 in the first set tiebreaker against Coco Gauff and Katy McNally. Dabrowski served the third point and Stefani (who was at the net) tried to move and immediately fell to the ground writhing in pain.

This did not prevent Dabrowski from maintaining the rally for two more shots and then missing her third shot wide.

You certainly have to admire Dabrowski’s ability not to get distracted during a critical point in a tiebreaker. You might also be wise not drop a hundred dollar bill in her sight line.
I think she missed that final shot on purpose to stop play when it was obvious Stefani wasn't getting up.

Reactions: mccoco

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
She probably didn’t know what was going on. Players lose their footing from time to time and stay down so as to give their partner space
That was exactly my thought until the end of the rally. I didn't even really see her fall because I was concentrating on the flight of the ball.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I once played doubles against someone who had an artificial arm (non-playing obviously). During a rally his 'arm' fell off as he hit the ball and he suddenly started scrabbling around to pick it up. I hit a winner past him and my partner praised me for not being distracted by what had gone on. I replied that I (genuinely) had not noticed. When you are competing you cannot afford to be distracted by anything, even an arm falling off! In fact I always said when playing darts that if anyone walked between me and the dartboard they would get a dart in their skull :)

I really hope Stefani recovers well, absolutely love her play.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
I once played doubles against someone who had an artificial arm (non-playing obviously). During a rally his 'arm' fell off as he hit the ball and he suddenly started scrabbling around to pick it up. I hit a winner past him and my partner praised me for not being distracted by what had gone on.
point should have been replayed according to rules.

·
Registered
93 Posts
point should have been replayed according to rules.
It probably was. Just pointing out that a player (and umpire) in the heat of a match can be so focussed on the ball they do not see anything else. A bit like those exercises where people are shown a video and asked to focus on one thing. During the video someone dressed as a gorilla walks across the scene, but very few people notice because they are focussed on the thing they were told to focus on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts