Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed Cup debutant Bethanie Mattek-Sands will open up USA's semifinal tie against Czech Republic in Brno on Saturday when she takes on Petra Kvitova.

The American had been due to make her Fed Cup debut in February when USA faced Argentina but a hip injury forced her withdrawal. After playing a limited schedule this year, Mattek-Sands may find Kvitova a tough challenge. The Czech captured her first WTA Tour title this year in Hobart and won her two singles rubbers in Fed Cup in February when Czech Republic pushed out 2008 Finalists Spain.

The full draw for this weekend is as follows:

Saturday
Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
Iveta Benesova (CZE) v Alexa Glatch (USA)
Sunday
Iveta Benesova (CZE) v Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Alexa Glatch (USA)
Iveta Benesova/Kveta Peschke (CZE) v Liezel Huber/Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)

http://www.fedcup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=12399

Kvitova was injured during this week and there was big doubt if she can play. Safarova might replace her (or Benesova) in the 2nd day, it is the normal rotation in the Czech team in their last ties.
The real surprise is that Glatch and not Oudin was selected for the singles in USA, Melanie was in great form, perhaps she is injured or perhaps she will play in the 2nd day....

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
whta happened to their macquee players, perhaps Zina should be sing the sisters for non participation.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I still can't believe the USA has a chance to go to the Finals with their lineup. They are very luckier they drew the easier teams. I think there's a 25% chance they could upset the Czechs LoL!

·
Registered
12,791 Posts
USA will win, mark my words, Iveta will selfdestruct herself and Kvitova is horrible..

I can't believe Lucie is not playing, she's playing the best atm..
lucie should be playing
even if kvitova is ok, she has been injured and it seems a bit of a risk :shrug:
if i was captain i would put lucie in...(possibly bias though :angel:)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Surprised that Glatch is playing instead of Oudin,who did well against Argentina. However, this tie is on the racquets of the Czech Republic as their players can either win easily in singles or self destruct in 2 of them giving the USA a chance to steal the tie in the doubles.

·
Blighted and solo
43,980 Posts
GO CZE!!! :hearts:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
its unbelievable to me that two teams in SF have such poor lineup....
maybe Venus and Serena would like to play if USA goes to final

·
Registered
24,994 Posts
Fernandez chose Glatch because of the fast indoor surface, I'd think. Melanie would be better on clay or outdoor hard, but Alexa's game is better suited for a faster surface

·
sharp as cheddar
22,262 Posts
come on czechs :scared:

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
Wow, i'm very surprised Lucy is not playing :eek:.

I think it was a very smart move to pick Alexa for these indoor matches. I still wouldn't count MEL out as Mary Joe could use her as
a substitute if need be ;):bounce:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I'm surprised they chose Kvitova. That's a must win for Bethanie from the start.

Not too surprised about the Glatch choice given the surface, but I can certainly see Oudin play on Day 2 depending on how things go on Day 1.

EDIT: Okay, CrossCourt~Rally, now we're just posting the exact same thing... :lol:

·
Registered
47,718 Posts
Safarova and Kvitova are by far the best indoor players on the Czech team.

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
Kvitova is lethal indoors

even a semi-retired Peschke wouldnt lose a set

·
Registered
32,271 Posts
Lucie will play on Sunday for sure.

Petra has to win this because I don't think Iveta would like to step on the court with a 0-1 deficit. For obivous reasons.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
Fernandez chose Glatch because of the fast indoor surface, I'd think. Melanie would be better on clay or outdoor hard, but Alexa's game is better suited for a faster surface
Exactly. Oudin can always be put in on Day 2. I am loving the Glatch/Iveta matchup. Beth can beat Kvitova, too. It will be an interesting day!

These matchups are very intriguing. Come on, USA! You can do it!

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Yep. I think that's it. She has won a lot of indoor ITFs and has hd good results there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts