Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
I have never seen anything like the Serena peak at the 2012 Olympics. A lot of other WTA players tend to peak just in terms of their big ground strokes landing in, but Serena had the huge unplayable serve, backed up by the fearsome groundstrokes, so that's the scariest peak (although I don't really find it scary myself, must be scary for her opponents though).

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
I have never seen anything like the Serena peak at the 2012 Olympics. A lot of other WTA players tend to peak just in terms of their big ground strokes landing in, but Serena had the huge unplayable serve, backed up by the fearsome groundstrokes, so that's the scariest peak (although I don't really find it scary myself, must be scary for her opponents though).

Seeing her tears had me cackling. I bet she had a similar reaction when WADA ended her.

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm going to say Bianca, she's been deadly at IW and Toronto this year. I think the peak will translate into USO success hopefully.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yastremska may be even scarier than Ostapenko (or Keys) when she's really bashing and acing everything.

From the slightly less feast-or-famine players, of course Andreescu. And Osaka can be quite scary if you remember some of her IW/slam matches. Kvitova is more amazing than scary, and Stephens more frustrating (to the opponent) than frightening.

Still, honestly, the answer must be Serena. The scariest peak does not mean she can ever reach it again - although she might come close for a set or a match.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If u mean good form, Naomi imo when she peaks. The second set she was just everywhere. Backhand forehand serve return winners and at the net.. Kenin was getting destroyed. it was quite scary when her game is peaking. I wish it peaks at slam once more lol!!1

·
Registered
973 Posts
Still, honestly, the answer must be Serena. The scariest peak does not mean she can ever reach it again - although she might come close for a set or a match.

Agree. Not sure what some are referring to as peak. Peak, for me, is when a player brings their best level to the point of outclassing everyone else on tour. We’ve seen this from Serena in ‘02 and parts of ‘12 and ‘13. Djokovic brought this level in 2015 and Fed in 2005-2006 on the men’s side.

Much as I like Bianca, I haven’t seen her reach a scary level, but then again she’s only 19. I’ve only seen a few of her matches, and all went to three sets and each of her opponents had a shot at beating her. I feel the same about Penko, who is prone to having dips and lulls in matches. Both are good when “on,” but so far I haven’t seen them “on” for an entire match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 84 Posts