Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I actually really liked what I saw, even though she still lost a tie-breaker, even in an exo :eek:h:

If she wants to prolong her career for as long as possible and have any shot at winning Wimbledon again she needs to come to the net more to finish points quickly.
Her ground strokes are powerful enough for the easy put away, and she actually has quite a nice touch for the more difficult stuff.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I actually really liked what I saw, even though she still lost a tie-breaker, even in an exo :eek:h:

If she wants to prolong her career for as long as possible and have any shot at winning Wimbledon again she needs to come to the net more to finish points quickly.
Her ground strokes are powerful enough for the easy put away, and she actually has quite a nice touch for the more difficult stuff.
It was beautiful to see her coming to net. Hopefully she will be able to do it often during real matches.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I was happy with it all really, I know it's not how tennis works (but neither is a third set tie-break) but she won more points then Monica even with her rustiness, and no she's not up to full match fitness, but why should she be?

Lets remember when the presser was announced we were all worried about retirement because of all the niggling injuries she'd had for awhile, yep she posts a fair amount of training pics, but in the end she needs to rest her problem areas, wrist, shoulder, and really start her proper work in about February.

I'm hopeful she can be better then she was in 2015 at least.

·
SharaFamily
21,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
One of the weirdest scoreline ever, Maria bagelled Mauresmo in 1st and 3rd set.
It's the only Maria's win against Mauresmo, revenge the loss in Wimbledon that year

US Open 2006 Sharapova vs Mauresmo

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
Indeed! Especially for a GS semi between 2 great champs and when the world N°1 is involved.

One of the weirdest scoreline ever, Maria bagelled Mauresmo in 1st and 3rd set.
It's the only Maria's win against Mauresmo, revenge the loss in Wimbledon that year

·
SharaFamily
21,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Ivanovic calls it a career at age of 29. It makes me relize how worse It would be If Maria did it in March. Maybe I'm selfish but I don't want Maria to retire normal way, when time comes, do it in private way and never announce retirement, It's better for me

Milan Exhibition Sharapova vs Ivanovic

·
Registered
14,342 Posts

but the problem is that she will be eaten alive when she's at the net unless she makes a perfect shot right away. She is neither fast on her feet nor she knows how to position herself at the net. She's no Federer and even him is passed quite often.

I agree that she needs to shorten the points and stop the pushing fest she played the last couple of years. For someone big as she is she playing a tentative play is not the answer.

·
SharaFamily
21,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
81 - 100 of 103 Posts