Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say the crowds reaction to Martina's line call in FO 99, was uncalled for. Since then I have watched many crowds start telling Martina to get on with it whenever she questions a line call.

No other player gets such a bad reaction from the crowd, when questioning a line call.

During this year Aus Open I was suprised with the crowds reaction when afew players where questioning line calls,
They didn't like it. But then with other players such as Favourites and Australians they where behind them all the way.

Your opinions:

Do you ever get upset watching someone check a line call? personally i think every player has the right, i sometimes think a ball is good and the replay shows me other wise.

And do you think the crowd at the AUS open would have been as supportive if Martina was the one questioning a line call and swearing at the top of her head,(words that are usually fined).

Personally I don't think the crowd would have been so supportive of Martina, which is really sad.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I don't have an opinion of the AO crowd and its reaction to Martina. I do know what it's like to observe a crowd that doesn't share your fave. I have seen tennis matches where the crowd applauded my faves errors. It's disgusting, and it takes the joy away from the experience.

I'm just happy that the French usually behave win it comes to the Williamses. I plan on going, and it would be a shame for me to travel all the way to France and land in the middle of a hostile crowd.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I agree with you. When a crowd favourite questions calls, the crowd is behind them. When some one else does it... oops. :rolleyes:

Its such a sad thing to see. :mad:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This is so true.

The crowd was with Capriati, every time she questioned a line call. And if Lleyton would start yelling at a linesman, in Oz, that'd be okay too. And any other Aussie for that matter.

The French crowd is ALWAYS against Martina. She gave the umpire a questioning LOOK, and the crowd was already on her case about it. It wasn't like she even argued the point, just half raised her eyebrows, for confirmation. :mad:

And like Bright Red said, I hate how they applaud the errors. Isn't that what they they did with Martina's errors at Roland Garros last year too? :fiery:

I really dislike the FO crowd now, after seeing that.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Crowds are made of fans, so sure they have biases but in general I've noticed that

a) they'll get on anyone who questions calls repeatedly and to excess during a match, and

b) history counts. Go overboard getting on the umpires and linespeople once and people - fair or not - remember. RG is a tough crowd to begin with but it will be a long time before they forget Hingis crossing the line - both literally and figuratively - in the '99 final, and you can bet that Hewitt will get no slack at all the next time he's at the US Open.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Especially since James is an up-and-coming player.

Just look at the reception he got against Roddick. :p :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Uneducated tennis fans hate players who question line calls. It's every players right to question a line call. Repeatedly if they have to. Some linespeople are incompetent and you cannot blame a player for being paranoid sometimes, especially in pressure situations. The people who boo are morons IMO, no matter who they're cheering for. Ever noticed that when you're sitting in the audience at a tennis tournament? They're usually the loudest, most ignorant and obnoxious people imagineable. Some do it because they're bored.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,584 Posts
Heck , I never really bother with the crowds who root against my favourites, because it usually backfires ... I witnessed crowd hostility 101 at Ericsson last year, but there I was cheering on and losing my voice --- It was bitter sweet in the end when my fav held up that darn trophy heehee :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah... if your fav comes out to be the winner, then it would be an awesome experience.. if not... you would have all the reasons in the world to hate the hostile crowd.

Do you guys remember the time when Monica was beaten by Martina, 6-0 6-0? The crowds were booing Monica... Oh My God! I couldn't believe it...
I was happy that Martina win, but that day, I was more up set than happy.
They didn't appreciate the fact that Monica came out there, try to forget her injury, and try her best to play tennis.
Even Martina respected Monica by not showing her excitement of winning the match. It was unbelievable.

And I also agree that if Martina were the one who argued and cursed at the umpire at the AO... aggghhhh.... I don't even want to imagine what the result might be...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
It is annoying sometimes, and it is not harmless, even if the referi would not change his/er decision. I remember last year USO Dementieva/Clijsters match. During the first 5 minutes of match, Kim was questioning every single call, moaning about everything, swearing. As a result from there up to the end of the match she got 6 overrules in her favor to none in Elena favor. Elena has not questioned a single call. That may have ultimately won that close match for Kim. Sometimes I wonder, maybe having good manners on court is simply unprofessional, maybe questioning calls, working that way with linesmen and ref is a part of the job, is a part of a way to success?

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
ys, for sure, i definately think that some players do it to get themselves fired up and get their heads into the match... sometimes they go overboard but if it helps them, i suppose we can only accept it and enjoy the better tennis that comes afterwards.

for me, sometimes its annoying when a player repeatedly questions calls, no matter how close they are, and sometimes i think its quite cool (!). 99 times out of 100 (not on clay, with clay its different) if the call was not over ruled a couple of seconds after it happened, the point will not be changed at all. i'd rather see some tennis than see someone moaning about something.... i guess its the way that they handle it... if they just ask the umpire they're sure or something (which is all they can do really), then i barely notice, but swearing ur ass off and shouting for a couple of minutes isn't going to win you a point thats now in the past.

with clay though, the player can see the mark themselves... they can't say that the clay is making its own marks (but i'm sure a few would try that one). It must be good for the player to clearly see on the ground where the ball landed for their own peace of mind.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Hey guys this is called professional sports. Booing the opposing team and cheering the hometown favorite, goes on in every sport folks.

I guess people are more upset about this because tennis is an individual sport.

However, it happens all over in all athletics and it's up to the tennis player to be mentally tough enough to handle it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yup... mostly team sports..

I don't think people usually booing athletes who compete in individual sports... at least not from what I remember.. I might be wrong..

Golf? ummm... nope..
swimming? ummm... nope..
ice skating? ummm... nope..

I would understand if it happens during Davis Cup or Fed Cup.

But heyy... what do I know, right? ;)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
But I think tennis as an individual and spectator sport is much more flamboyant, emotional and visible to the world than sayperhaps golf or swimming.

A skater is on the ice for how long at max 5 minutes? A tennis player can be seen on court for hours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well... you are right about that one, Jakeev..

I just feel like the crowds should give the players a break sometimes..
even if they are not the favs. and stuff.

It's tough!
Team sports can get away with it, since they have teammates and coaches to talk to.

For tennis... well... if you are not strong enough.. you got no one to count on except yourself.

I guess that makes tennis more interesting than other sports..
don't you think? :)

·
Banned
692 Posts
Players should be entiteld to a questioning. Most of the time they do question they r usually right.

Histroy! God People cant just forget it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to say the crowds reaction to Martina's line call in FO 99, was uncalled for.
go hingis, wasn't the major problem her underhand (in both senses of the word) serve to Graff at match point down?

:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts