Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the offseason, I find myself rewatching some full matches of a number of players I follow even those they lost. During this time, maybe it is just me, but I also find that there are a few matches of these players I can't get myself to watch twice due to:
1. Them losing badly to a player you would otherwise think they could of won against (Brady basically beating Garcia one-handed in 2019);
2. Losing their cool, becoming emotional and headcases during matches (USO F 2018; Osaka vs Tsurenko in Brisbane);
3. Losing to players who have pigeonised them, and from the body language you can just see a defeatist attitude (Mugu vs Bot; Osaka vs Bencic).

Are there such matches you wouldn't watch twice, or do you just go through thick and thin with some of your favourite players because you know - they are human, not machines.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Serena vs. Cornet (most matches)
Serena vs. Muguruza (both RG matches)
Serena vs. Konta that time

Angie vs. Kasatkina (Brisbane? Sydney?) 2017 - worst match I've ever seen her play
Angie vs. Kastakina - all other matches, but not as bad
Angie vs. Sloane - all matches
Angie vs. Halep 2018 AO - absolute exhaustion from the first point, only to fight through the exhaustion (almost falling over at times) and have two match points...and then still lose

Stosur...too many matches to name :help:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Barty has occasions where she forgets how to play tennis. Can't watch Barty v Anisimova (despite her winning), Barty v Bertens (WTA Finals where she went on that awful game losing streak in the middle of the match), Barty vs Wang at USO.

Venus vs counter-punchers has been depressing to watch as of late, especially when she sometimes plays amazing in the previous match, only to come and play like garbage the next.

Svitolina - her bazillion chokes... also her Wimbledon run had her scraping through mostly in most matches (I liked the Martic match though) and getting demolished in the SF by being totally passive.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Li Na's AO R3 against Safarova in 2014 was super bad. It's a miracle she didn't lose that match and ended up winning the championship, I think she committed over 40 unforced errors that day. Perhaps a good thing I was not able to see the first two sets!

Her match against Barbora Strycova at Wimbledon to finish her career was also pretty bad. The scoreline seems pretty but she really couldn't find the court and ended on a DF. And that Indian Wells match against Pennetta, hit over 10 DFs from memory. And most of her matches against Stosur lol. Somehow I've forgiven her that choke against Clijsters at AO2012, which was horrific.

Gavrilova also had a tonne of horrible matches following a decent 2017.
The worst that comes to mind is the one against Mertens in 2018 in Melbourne, had set points for a bagel, still lost the set! Davis Cup against Kichenok was also woeful, surface irregularities not helping but yeah it was horrific. I'll stop there before I get carried a way.

I also stanned Coco Vandeweghe for a little while. Her Fed Cup match where she nearly lost to Hogenkamp was really bad, plus the US Open match against Keys.

Serena vs. Cornet (most matches)
Serena vs. Muguruza (both RG matches)
Serena vs. Konta that time

Angie vs. Kasatkina (Brisbane? Sydney?) 2017 - worst match I've ever seen her play
Angie vs. Kastakina - all other matches, but not as bad
Angie vs. Sloane - all matches
Angie vs. Halep 2018 AO - absolute exhaustion from the first point, only to fight through the exhaustion (almost falling over at times) and have two match points...and then still lose

Stosur...too many matches to name :help:
Angie vs Cornet is also not too great (for Angie)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aga vs CSN 2016 Doha is definitely the worst match I can think of. To go from routing her in at the AO to only winning two games there, and especially after how well she played against Vinci in the QFs

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
So many at the US Open Alone

Huh Venus 2005 US Open up a set and 4-2 against Clijsters and stared playing horribly then ran out of gas once the level picked back up. (Clearly one of early signs of Sjrogrens.

2013 Aussie against Sharapova. Mostly because of that reaction from Melodonium at the end.

2017 Wimbledon. Those set points smh :cry::cry::cry:

·
Premium Member
28,013 Posts
The most cringeworthy matches of my faves were Hantuchova - Ivanovic in that AO semifinal, when Hantuchova was choking like crazy that 6-0, 3-0 lead, with those "squeeking shoes" and that terrible volley on BP in third, when she thought the ball "bounced twice". Then another Daniela's match against Asagoe in Wimbledon and from ATP Coria - Gaudio FO final...that was just painful to watch, I wasn't able to watch those last games at all.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Evonne looking lovely but suddenly playing like a twæt and losing 9 straight games from 3 all in the first set at forest Hills final against Chris Evert, 1976. She was pregnant and singing a cliff richey tune throughout.

·
Premium Member
27,154 Posts
Davenport vs Venus Wimb 05
Davenport vs Serena AO 05
Davenport vs Sharapova Wimb 04
VIP vs Sharapova Stuttgart 13 and 14

·
Registered
193 Posts
80% (or more) of Venus's losses probably.

Serena when she suddenly doesn't have her killer instinct --> almost every big final/match she lost starting at the US Open SF in 2015. The annoying thing about this is, she just starts playing so weird.

Davenport losing matches because she got negative.

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
Jankovic-Cohen BOGOTA Slam

Sharapova vs Venus 2013

Giorgi losing to Pegula...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Serena when she suddenly doesn't have her killer instinct --> almost every big final/match she lost starting at the US Open SF in 2015. The annoying thing about this is, she just starts playing so weird.
This, basically. Lately, she shows great form in the quarters and semis and is MIA in the final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Serena - Vinci USO 2015. I cannot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts