Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
All4Williams,

read this article again. It says:"Capriati believes the extra day will help....". Besides if you lookatthe schedule you'll see that she is scheduled to play when she is supposed. So don't stir the controversy.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Anyone else thinks this totally reeks of double standards?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nevertheless, Capriati is seeded no. 1, so it maybe logical that her wishes would be granted a little faster.

After all, I remember McNamee admitting last week that ifh he asked for one, Lleyton would also be granted a late start, after all, he was the world no.1.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I fail to see the problem.

Two women are half-injured and wants a delay on their match.

According to rules, there's only one of them that can get it.

Who will get it? The #1 defending champ or the #6?

If we add to it that it's very unlikely that Serena could compete anyway, I totally fail to see any controversy in this desicion.

(Also, let's not forget the bad it would be for the already fragile Serena to play half-injuried... she'd might aggrievate it and be off court for a long time)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It's more logical to grant her wishes because she is defending champion. I can understand that, and the tournament will be better for her in it.

I just think it could be construed as double standards.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I also agree that Serena wouldn't have been fit enough to play Tuesday.

I still think it's pretty selective, when you consider Lleyton as well.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I don't know. It looks to me like she just happened to be one of the ones who made it to day 2 in the regular scheduling. Seems a bit odd to me the way they did it. If she did in fact get an extra day granted, that would just be wrong, and not make any sense.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Totally makes sense to me. Besides, the defending champ never plays on the first day....I think all Grand Slams follow that same format. And even if she did....she is the defending champ and #1 seed. If an allowance was to be made, I would imagine it is an unwritten privilege for winning the title the year before.

But mostly....I think its a non-issue here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts