Tennis Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 2005 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
This is kind of messy both from an emotional and epidemiological standpoint:

A FRIEND of the first child to die of COVID-19 said no one at the teen's funeral knew the boy had coronavirus when they attended the service.

In addition to mourners being left in the dark about the cause of boy's death, the California child's father is upset because he also tested positive for the virus and is worried he may have passed it to others at the service, Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris said.
"They had people at the funeral and nobody knew, " Parris said.
The teen – who was the first US child to succumb to coronavirus – was only diagnosed with the deadly infection after he died as he did not “meet the criteria” for the test, the Sun has learned.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
(NYC )Nurses at Mount Sinai West, where Kelly worked, are being forced to wear trash bags due to the lack of protective gear there.

It's interesting. There have already been reports that some nurses got infected because they took off their protective gear/dress in an inappropriate way.
Lots of medical staff are now being trained in how to properly undress without getting contaminated. In some of the hardest-hit Chinese regions, hospital staff had even two protective dresses on.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
The current hammer method of quarantining everybody and locking down everything is a result of our failure as a society to prepare adequately for a pandemic.
At the same time, preparing adequately for a pandemic has never been a life plan. Only knowing of epidemics in some parts of the world, and modern mobilities able to facilitate a pandemic, could make societies anticipate that kind of tragedy better. But we have so much problems in many departments, that anticipating the worse belongs to what isn't needed.

Otherwise you spend your life anticipating the worse (and you can find many areas for the worse to happen) and never get a life.

So yeah, it needs a tragedy like this to make us more careful to keep it from happening again. Next year it could be something else (catastrophe of any kind), and you can always blame any area of the world for not be prepared, I don't think any area of the world is safe from everything.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Hmmm :cautious:

[Swiss pharmaceutical company] Roche is a market leader in the Netherlands, and has used this privilege to create what is called a vendor lock-in, according to research by Follow the Money. That means that laboratories which use Roche machinery to make medicines or do experiments also have to use Roche materials to do so. Because Roche is experiencing a shortage of the materials necessary for coronavirus tests, Dutch laboratories haven’t been able to allow for the widespread testing that was so effective in halting the spread of coronavirus in other countries like South Korea.
You might feel some form of sympathy for Roche if they were just underprepared for the scale of coronavirus: almost everyone was. But the problem is that there is a solution to this shortage, but Roche is refusing to take it presently because of its impact on their profits. Roche could share the prescription for one of the elements of the testing materials, called a lysis buffer, with Dutch laboratories. It would be very easy for the laboratories to make this once they had the prescription, and that could in turn ease the shortage of tests.

What the article doesn't mention is that apart from the 'lysis buffer', there is also a shortage of so-called cassettes (the basket-like cases you put the tubes in) with the exact right size for the Roche equipment. This seems like a job for 3D printing.

Dutch labs have made themselves be dependent on one supplier that's why they are not able to do enough tests. One lab in (North-Dutch province of) Groningen spread the risk by taking equipment from multiple suppliers and they are able to do more tests.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
While we are still in a pretty comfortable situation in Germany, the impacts are also heavy on Germany.

On a positive note, we had been informed today, that 11,000 intense care beds are free to be used (as a comparison: a German news outlet reported, that Italy has an overall of 5,000 and the UK 4,100).

On a negative note, hundreds of thousands of ppl including me are sent home on "short term labor". That means your working hours are cut down to a certain percentage, for which you get your salary. Of the missing net to your usual monthly income, you will get 60% from the state. Example: You earn 2000€ net and are down to 20%, meaning your company pays you 400 net. Of the 1600€ net missing, you get 960€ from sthe state. So you have 1360€ for the time being. This can be expanded up to 2 years.

In my company of 800, now 4 ppl are positively tested, 3 of them brought it home from skiing vacation in Austria.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
Seriously, the guy who thinks it's cool to play his music loud for everybody... is an idiot (and boy are they numerous everywhere...). Nobody necessarily shares your taste for music or for your loud big beat fun... Everybody has his own kind of fun and it's essential to not bother or annoy your neighborhood. But seriously, a lot of people in the world still struggle to understand this, if they ever try to understand a thing out of their ass and empirical and despotic consensualism.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
... and I gotta add, that today, I had some Kurdish friend come over, cos he urgently needed to have some documents from authorities explained (and even I as a native speaker struggle to understand the German in our authorities' letters).

It's so great to see, that even the Kurds here, who have a totally different culture from us Germans and usually have big family gatherings with cousins, uncles, parents and whomever pretty much every evening, understand the seriousness of the situation and stay with their very families. He lives in an 11 floor building and says he opens the elevator doors with some cloth in his hand and nobody enters the elevator, when there is already somebody in there and he stays only with his wife and his children.

When he came to my house, he sat down 2 meters away from me, had me explain the documents and left with no further chit chat. I think with this amount of responsibilty of everybody, we can beat this virus.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
... and I gotta add, that today, I had some Kurdish friend come over, cos he urgently needed to have some documents from authorities explained (and even I as a native speaker struggle to understand the German in our authorities' letters).

It's so great to see, that even the Kurds here, who have a totally different culture from us Germans and usually have big family gatherings with cousins, uncles, parents and whomever pretty much every evening, understand the seriousness of the situation and stay with their very families. He lives in an 11 floor building and says he opens the elevator doors with some cloth in his hand and nobody enters the elevator, when there is already somebody in there and he stays only with his wife and his children.

When he came to my house, he sat down 2 meters away from me, had me explain the documents and left with no further chit chat. I think with this amount of responsibilty of everybody, we can beat this virus.

I hope you are keeping safe. I know some people in Heidelberg and Dusseldorf in Germany and it is exploding pretty bad right now. If it wasn't for the low death rate, I would said it is on the path to becoming the next Italy which is sadly what is happening to Spain right now. I pray for the world, Italy, Spain, Iran and the all the world that is being really hit hard with coronavirus. I feel like keeping inside, washing my hands regularly, and just becoming a total hermit is me doing my bit for world peace.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Seriously, the guy who thinks it's cool to play his music loud for everybody... is an idiot (and boy are they numerous everywhere...). Nobody necessarily shares your taste for music or for your loud big beat fun... Everybody has his own kind of fun and it's essential to not bother or annoy your neighborhood. But seriously, a lot of people in the world still struggle to understand this, if they ever try to understand a thing out of their ass and empirical and despotic consensualism.
You and I agree on so much. Even on Svitolina.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
You and I agree on so much. Even on Svitolina.

The crowd loves Svitolina. Many tennis fans love Svitolina. Only TF trolls dislike Svitolina. I'm usually happy to notice they're the worse trolls around for pretty much everything (as main haters are anyway). ;)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

The crowd loves Svitolina. Many tennis fans love Svitolina. Only TF trolls dislike Svitolina. I'm usually happy to notice they're the worse trolls around for pretty much everything (as main haters are anyway). ;)
Exactly.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Germany ramps up Coronavirus testing. They are testing 500,000 people a week.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
I feel like keeping inside, washing my hands regularly, and just becoming a total hermit is me doing my bit for world peace.
What Macron in his last night speech, called the "third line" (keeping on his war imagery of the first speech). First line: doctors. Second line: all of those who help to keep the essential safe (productors, sellers, etc). Third line: all of those who make the effort to stay confined and care of everybody that way.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
What Macron in his last night speech, called the "third line" (keeping on his war imagery of the first speech). First line: doctors. Second line: all of those who help to keep the essential safe (productors, sellers, etc). Third line: all of those who make the effort to stay confined and care of everybody that way.
Exactly. I rarely ever agree with Macron but I agree with him here.

1521 - 1540 of 2005 Posts