Tennis Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 2049 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
"
How can supercomputers help us fight this virus? These high-performance computing systems allow researchers to run very large numbers of calculations in epidemiology, bioinformatics, and molecular modeling. These experiments would take years to complete if worked by hand, or months if handled on slower, traditional computing platforms.

As a powerful example of the potential, IBM’s Summit, the most powerful supercomputer on the planet, has already enabled researchers at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the University of Tennessee to screen 8,000 compounds to find those that are most likely to bind to the main “spike” protein of the coronavirus, rendering it unable to infect host cells. They were able to recommend the 77 promising small-molecule drug compounds that could now be experimentally tested. This is the power of accelerating discovery through computation.
"

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
"
A coronavirus vaccine may not arrive for at least a year—so what are the chances of finding a useful therapy that could stave off the worst effects of the virus in the meantime?

Earlier coronavirus outbreaks like SARS and MERS raised warning flags for public health officials. Fortunately, they also alerted the biological research community that this large family of viruses was worth studying in more detail. Recent research has built on a large body of knowledge about coronaviruses that have long caused significant diseases in livestock, and so SARS-CoV-2 does not arrive as a total unknown. Indeed, we are actually in a decent position to understand what might make a good potential therapy.

While some of the therapies being tested may seem random—we're trying chloroquine, an antimalarial drug?—there's serious biology behind what's being done.
"

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Shukran Allah Wallahamdulillah

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I think this may be the first celebrity death from the virus. Below are quotes from Variety March 24 2020, and Wiki which I am not allowed to link to stop spammers?
We had two African musicians die in France, they were old - but their music was famous throughout the continent in the '90s.

Saxophone great Manu Dibango dies of coronavirus
Coronavirus: Jazz legend Manu Dibango dies of Covid-19
Jazz legend Manu Dibango has died in Paris aged 86 after catching coronavirus.
He was best known for his 1972 song Soul Makossa and often fused jazz and funk music with traditional sounds from his home country of Cameroon.
Congolese music legend dies 'from coronavirus'

Congolese music star Aurlus Mabélé has died in hospital in France's capital Paris, aged 67.
Posts on social media from friends and relatives say he died of coronavirus but this is not confirmed.
His fans called him the king of soukous - a high-tempo Congolese dance music popular across Africa.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Interesting read on the subject of worldwide pandemic fear, if you're bored. Dan Brown's INFERNO (2013)
Or as a movie (2016) Inferno (2016) - IMDb
I find it quite ironic that the plot is set in Italy and the hero is Tom Hanks in the movie, the first to get infected.

·
Registered
29,873 Posts
This is what Donald Trump actually said about chloroquine:

And this is what the woman who was poisoned and is now in critical condition said yesterday:

Asked what message she had for the American public this is what she said:

Here is the entire article:
Wife of man who died after taking chloroquine for coronavirus warns Americans: 'Don't believe anything that the president says'

Okay...I appreciate this couple were pretty stupid taking chloroquine from a fishtank cleaner. But their stupidity was based on their decision to trust Donald Trump. And that is really the point. Donald Trump is an egotistic, narcissist who talks through his ass, clueless of whether he is even speaking the truth. This is a man who will say whatever he can think of to get people on his side whether it is true or not. That has been exhibited on a daily basis. And trusting that Trump is telling the truth or or that he even knows what he is talking about is not only stupid, it is often dangerous as this story sadly demonstrates.
My remaining brain cells just suicided after reading this diatribe.

When people die of overdose on sleeping pills or any other medication, do we blame their doctors? Those egomaniacal narcissistic doctors! Fuckers trying to help and cure people! How dare they, narcissists! :unsure:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,258 Posts

When people die of overdose on sleeping pills or any other medication, do we blame their doctors? Those egomaniacal narcissistic doctors! Fuckers trying to help and cure people! How dare they, narcissists! :unsure:
All three of them? Good.

·
Registered
29,873 Posts
One of beer's ingredients is water. Water is healthy. Ergo, it's safe to drink 5 litres of beer a day then, every day. #logic

If anything goes wrong, I will sue the entire educational system, science institutes and politicians. They should not be trusted. #logic

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
This is what Donald Trump actually said about chloroquine:

And this is what the woman who was poisoned and is now in critical condition said yesterday:

Asked what message she had for the American public this is what she said:

Here is the entire article:
Wife of man who died after taking chloroquine for coronavirus warns Americans: 'Don't believe anything that the president says'

Okay...I appreciate this couple were pretty stupid taking chloroquine from a fishtank cleaner. But their stupidity was based on their decision to trust Donald Trump. And that is really the point. Donald Trump is an egotistic, narcissist who talks through his ass, clueless of whether he is even speaking the truth. This is a man who will say whatever he can think of to get people on his side whether it is true or not. That has been exhibited on a daily basis. And trusting that Trump is telling the truth or or that he even knows what he is talking about is not only stupid, it is often dangerous as this story sadly demonstrates.
A quick scan of the MSDS sheet for Chloroquine phosphate shows a LD50 of 200mg/kg in mice. If you translate this to humans that means a dose of 13-15 grams will kill 50 % of average humans.

A teaspoon of chloroquine must to weigh 7-10 grams so were not far off from a dose that what we would expect to kill half of all healthy 65-75kg humans. This couple was older so they may have had weaker livers than average. Toxic effects of this drug are know to occur at doses as low as 3mg/kg. I believe this drug has a relatively narrow range between an effective dose and a toxic dose and its dosing must be monitored closely.

I have a feeling most of the people that voted for Trump don't even know what an MSDS is, let alone be able to look one up to make sure what he says doesn't poison themselves.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Interesting read on the subject of worldwide pandemic fear, if you're bored. Dan Brown's INFERNO (2013)
Or as a movie (2016) Inferno (2016) - IMDb
I find it quite ironic that the plot is set in Italy and the hero is Tom Hanks in the movie, the first to get infected.

Try to watch this

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
The number of new infections in Italy took another little dive today, down to +3491 compared to yesterday's +3612. Deaths are lower as well (683 vs 743), even if the figures are still very high, while the recovered are increasing (more than 1000 today).
It's the fourth day in a row that the number of newly infected is (slowly) decreasing, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope that the peak has been reached at last. The trend still needs to be confirmed in the next few days.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts

Actually I do blame doctors as a whole for the prescription drug OD epidemic in North America. They are taking kick backs from drug companies like Mary Kay cosmetic ladies get for selling mascara, except Xanax and Oxycontin are much more risky than ugly mascara. And doctors as a profession are narcissistic enough that there's an old joke that bench scientists like to tell about their clinical counterparts:

What's the difference between God and doctors?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.

·
Registered
19,558 Posts
Trump is a nasty piece of work but to blame him for that Arizona couple overdosing is really a little too much. Any drug is toxic in overdose. Surely anyone with reasonable intelligence would check the dosing information before taking any medication. If you're stupid enough to think that drinking something you bought to clean your goldfish tank would prevent coronavirus infection, maybe you just deserve that Darwin award.

·
Registered
22,974 Posts
cmon folks, anyone really surprised by trump babbling untenable BS to begin with and some of his fellow morons take it word for word?
it's murica after all.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
orangemanbad.exe
He never said they should take some fish tank cleaning shit.
He cited a fucking french study or whatever. He never said to self-administer whatever similar chimical coumpound in some weird forms.
You're either an idiot if you cannot understand the difference, or you're simply lying.
And I don't even care about Trump for God's sake.

·
Registered
29,873 Posts
Actually I do blame doctors as a whole for the prescription drug OD epidemic in North America. They are taking kick backs from drug companies like Mary Kay cosmetic ladies get for selling mascara, except Xanax and Oxycontin are much more risky than ugly mascara. And doctors as a profession are narcissistic enough that there's an old joke that bench scientists like to tell about their clinical counterparts:

What's the difference between God and doctors?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.
Obviously wasn't talking about the opioid epidemic. Was talking about the incorrect unapproved usage of medication or any other substances that are otherwise safe to use.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Or the Bovine spongiform encephalopathy cases that happened in the UK as the result of the UK's terrible treatment of cows. It is true none of us in the west should take a holier than thou attitude when we discuss other countries health failings. But it doesn't mean we should ignore them either. It isn't fully established how the Covid-19 virus got into the human cycle, as you say. But it does appear the most likely explanation is it came from pangolin meat which was infected by bats. I don't know whether this is the case or not, but if this pandemic does cause an end of the Chinese fetish for pangolin meat and lucky charms that has to be a good thing amidst all the horror of this crisis.
The UK government denied the link between BSE and human human disease for years. I remember my first year university professors (in 1995), one male, one female in their very British accents telling our lecture in most uncertain terms, that if we went off to the UK on vacation:

"Do not eat beef, do not eat dairy, do not eat any processed products that contain beef protein or dairy, like gravy, gelatin or custard." One even said that when he and his daughter went back on holiday over the summer, they ate a near vegan diet just to be safe.

On to Covid; molecular biologists have pretty much unravelled the animal origins of this virus. Coronavirus origins: genome analysis suggests two viruses may have combined

The virus appears to be a recombinant fusion of a bat virus with a gene from a pangolin virus. Recombination occurred when an animal was infected with both viruses simultaneously. The working hypothesis is that multiple species living in close quarters of a wet market facilitated this.

I do think the Chinese government bears a huge responsibility for this. They chose to not ban these wet markets after SARS which arose the same way. WHY NOT? Because their whole social contract is that the people should stay out of politics and just concentrate on making a lot of money while the political leadership does everything to help you make a lot of money. In exchange the people are allowed to eat anything, watch anything, buy anything that doesn't contradict the party.

Can anyone believe for a second the CCP couldn't ban these markets? If I were to stick one anti-communist flag on a pole in one of their cities, i'd be arrested within minutes with the surveillance they have. Just look at how they used it to enforce the Wuhan quarantine. You can't tell me a market with thousands of live animals in a city centre of 10 million people can exist if they want to ban it.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,258 Posts
He never said they should take some fish tank cleaning shit.
He cited a fucking french study or whatever. He never said to self-administer whatever similar chimical coumpound in some weird forms.
You're either an idiot if you cannot understand the difference, or you're simply lying.
And I don't even care about Trump for God's sake.
Well then I kindly suggest that you have better things to do with your life than try defending him.

Of course the people who took this stuff were idiots. But Trump supporters are by and large not the smartest people around and it was inevitable that some of his not very bright supporters would make this mistake. When you are President of the United States of America a lot of people take what you say seriously and a great deal of responsibility lies in what you choose to say. Regrettably, responsibility is not a quality that Donald Trump possesses. And in a crisis like the one we are currently in, that is a concern.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,500
We have an Italian friend who has lived in Londond for over 30 years and who my partner and I have known for many years. She decided to go back permanently to (northern) Italy in January and we have been in touch with her regularly. I sent her an e-mail 3 days ago and we hadn't had a reply and I was worried but she rang us just now and she is fine. I have never been so pleased to hear her voice.

1481 - 1500 of 2049 Posts