Tennis Forum banner

3781 - 3800 of 3919 Posts

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,781
It feels like the UK could be on the verge of the start of a 2nd wave, not really sure how effective these local lockdowns are going to be with so many services still open across the UK - I’m baffled as to how pubs / bars were allowed to reopen.
People travelling to the coast today.

I understand that people want to get out and about in hot weather (although sitting on a crowded beach in 34 degree heat sounds like a nightmare to me) but travelling on a crowded train for an extended period, even with masks, is very risky behaviour.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,782

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
People travelling to the coast today.

I understand that people want to get out and about in hot weather (although sitting on a crowded beach in 34 degree heat sounds like a nightmare to me) but travelling on a crowded train for an extended period, even with masks, is very risky behaviour.

Indeed. I have just resigned myself to the fact that there is no way in hell that I am visiting coast of the UK (let alone holidaying outside the UK) this summer, or for that matter, this year.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,785
Indeed. I have just resigned myself to the fact that there is no way in hell that I am visiting coast of the UK (let alone holidaying outside the UK) this summer, or for that matter, this year.
I don't like the sun anyway so a summer trip to the beach would never be on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Where I live in U.K. is back to some lockdown, I am not surprised because of behaviour of people I see everybody day.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,787
Where I live in U.K. is back to some lockdown, I am not surprised because of behaviour of people I see everybody day.
The top 25 (out of 160) LAs account for 42% of the new cases announced today. This tweeter does a daily update breaking down the new cases by local authority.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,789
Hi, Mauriac have you noticed the Isle of man with their figures, yeah perfection.
Their figures are very good - no new cases since May. I've never been so I don't know what it's like but I wouldn't want to lie on a beach anywhere, even if Covid didn't exist.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Question: Countries who are experiencing spikes in infection rates, but didn't have such high numbers earlier during the breakout, are they in their first wave? I imagine that the US and many African countries are in in this phase. I can't imagine what a second wave will look like.

This can means that this virus is here for a longer time period. We are going into spring, and our infection rate have increased exponentially. UK, Spain and France are going into autumn, and may be experiencing the second wave now. We will have travel restrictions and increased death rates for some time.

Oceania countries - did they even experience a wave?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
...Oceania countries - did they even experience a wave?
A lot of the island nations in the Pacific have not recorded any Covid-19 infections at all. Every one of New Zealand's cases originated from a traveller returning from areas which were hit early, such as Iran, northern Italy and the United States. What's really interesting from our point of view, and considering our geographical location, is that not one case could be traced back to China.

Once we shut our borders the new infections basically dried up. Those that we've had in the past few weeks have ALL been returning travellers whose infections have been picked up during their testing in arrival quarantine.

·
Registered
31,735 Posts
It´s going to happen everywhere, cause there are just too many dumb people in this world and the internet has connected them all.

Today in Germany. Anti-corona protests by 17.000 people. Nobody wearing masks or keeping social distancing.

Sometimes it´s a shame, we are so civilised. I´d take all their names, put them in a centralised data bank and when they arrive at a hospital with corona, put them in isolation, three meals a day and the rest is up to nature.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
37,762 Posts
The only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that in a few months' time there will be a vaccine and this will all eventually be over.

It´s going to happen everywhere, cause there are just too many dumb people in this world and the internet has connected them all.

Today in Germany. Anti-corona protests by 17.000 people. Nobody wearing masks or keeping social distancing.

Sometimes it´s a shame, we are so civilised. I´d take all their names, put them in a centralised data bank and when they arrive at a hospital with corona, put them in isolation, three meals a day and the rest is up to nature.
What is these clowns' political ideology? Far-right?

·
Registered
31,735 Posts
The only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that in a few months' time there will be a vaccine and this will all eventually be over.

What is these clowns' political ideology? Far-right?
Far-right groups, but also a lot of "normal" people that seem to think it´s a massive plan of the government to pay billions in stimulus packages including all sorts of unemployments vehicles to its citizen, while severely undermining their tax revenues for the endgame of.......?

Reactions: Sammo

·
Registered
31,735 Posts
Reactions: Shifty-Eyed Dog

·
Registered
31,735 Posts
Honestly most cafes/restaurants should simply give out bonus cards. You follow all the guidelines during your visit, you get a stamp upon leaving and after 5/10 visits you get a free coffee/food item. It´s really not that difficult. Even with a mask, humans can still sniff free rewards. One free Jelly Frappuccino And Mousse Foam Caramel Macchiato and suddenly the whole outlook on masks changes.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
There's no guarantee.
What if the virus is different every year like the seasonal flu. You'd need a new vaccine every year. Or perhaps the immunity of a vaccine will only be temporary, for weeks or months only.
We haven't got rid of many viruses in the last decades since no vaccine were ever found, only treatments work for those.
It's possible that Covid19 will affect humanity for a long time. We missed our chance to get a head start with Sars-Cov (2002) and with Mers-Cov (2012) to work on finding a cure or vaccine for those coronaviruses. Instead of that there were cuts in the medical research worldwide. Those viruses were seen as not dangerous enough to be worth the investments. That was dumb because the warnings have been there for a while that a pandemic was coming eventually.

We're lucky that it is not so deadly, but the sad thing is that the collateral victims could be many millions of deaths from famines or other issues resulting from the chaos of the pandemic.

3781 - 3800 of 3919 Posts