Tennis Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1230 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Answering this post is probably better done here than in the original Palermo thread.
Of course, it won’t stop every single person from getting the virus, but it can limit the outbreak to one or two people. That is a risk we can & have to learn to accept. We have to confront the new realities of life in a Covid-19 world.
Of course we have to confront the new realities, but try looking at the realities of life elsewhere. The handful of rogue security guards in the Melbourne hotels are now responsible, directly and indirectly, for several thousand new infections in Australia, and maybe some of the deaths which have occurred in the last couple of weeks as well, simply because they wanted the thrill of illicit sex, or thought they were being nice by taking infected travellers shopping. If you think that every single player at every tournament, and all their support staff and families, will follow the isolation/quarantine rules to the letter, you're living in a dream world. How many more Danielle Collinses are there out there?

Also, please note: closing down tennis events is also done at the expense of others. Shutting down economic activity is done at the expense of others. People are losing their livelihoods. And the welfare system can pick up the slack for only so long. Your focus on death rate as the only adverse effect of the pandemic is not only hysterical but also myopic.
And you obviously haven't read many of my posts if that's all you think I'm focusing on. I'm well aware of the financial effects of this virus, but you seem to ignore the fact that dead people don't contribute anything to a country's GDP. The more people you can save, or prevent getting ill in the first place, the quicker and better your economy will recover.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I just think it's interesting that there are folks involved deep in the background of tennis that are pushing conspiracy theories like this.
I'm sure it's execs like these that are pushing for the US tournaments to go ahead.
What are you talking about? The Sinclair Broadcasting Group are not 'involved in the background of tennis', they are a multimedia conglomerate who own a lot of channels and bought the Tennis Channel in 2016. The Tennis Channel doesn't even have rights to the US Open, ESPN does.

We know who is responsible for pushing the US tournaments to go ahead: it's the USTA, ATP, and WTA. And there's no reason to believe any of them are taking the Coronavirus as a hoax, they're all implementing serious measures to make the tournaments as safe as they can.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
The ITF pro tour is supposed to resume Aug. 17. There are two women's tournaments still scheduled for that week (Wanfercee-Baulet and Oeiras). The entry deadline for those tournaments closed earlier today.

Anyone on here know when the entry lists will be posted?

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Not surprised to hear Madrid is at risk.. surely the FO must join the USO as in doubt.. I think I read in the guardian recent 52% or so recent rise in cases?

It literally feels like we can only take the WTA tour one week at a time - everything is subject to rapid change

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
On a separate note interesting to hear re Portschach. I remember a one off WTA international level event was held there back in 1999, won by Karina Habsudova. Now there’s a name I have not said in a VERY long time.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The ITF pro tour is supposed to resume Aug. 17. There are two women's tournaments still scheduled for that week (Wanfercee-Baulet and Oeiras). The entry deadline for those tournaments closed earlier today.

Anyone on here know when the entry lists will be posted?
Wanfercee-Baulet has been cancelled. Oeiras entry list is here:

Some really interesting names, including Clara Tauson (@Jorn), Weronika Baszak (@Jerem, @Caipirinha Guy) and Harmony Tan.

·
Registered
31,203 Posts
Is there any way Monte Carlo could become a mixed event and replace Madrid?

1201 - 1220 of 1230 Posts