Tennis Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1230 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
As major league pitcher Sean Doolittle said

And that rings true.
It rings like navel-gazing nonsense to me. Sports are a business like any other. The sports industry employs many, many people and contributes a ton to the economy. Many peoples livelihoods depend on sports. Like any other business, if a sport passes a certain threshold of safety then it should be allowed to return; to treat the sports industry as a sacrificial lamb, to make the lives of the countless number of people involved in sports worse, as part of some bizarre punishment to society would be nothing short of criminal.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
It rings like navel-gazing nonsense to me. Sports are a business like any other. The sports industry employs many, many people and contributes a ton to the economy. Many peoples livelihoods depend on sports. Like any other business, if a sport passes a certain threshold of safety then it should be allowed to return; to treat the sports industry as a sacrificial lamb, to make the lives of the countless number of people involved in sports worse, as part of some bizarre punishment to society would be nothing short of criminal.
Except sports don't pass the threshold of safety, and they are NON-ESSENTIAL. Livelihood doesn't supersede public health and safety. "I'm sorry you got the coronavirus, but it was worth it so we can make money on our beloved baseball or basketball." Players are people, too. People who have families and loved ones that they can unknowingly transmit the virus to. The NBA wants to resume in Florida, which continues to set new daily highs for reported cases because the government wanted to reopen. It was so damn important that those beaches be open, that people can go to bars and restaurants. And all that's done is further spread the virus. And now we want professional NBA players to come there, and hope the bubble holds up at Walt Disney World. At Walt Disney World where their staff will NOT be in a bubble. So no, there is no threshold of safety for sports in this country. Just people who want to make money, regardless if the virus continues to spread. Numerous players in the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL have caught this virus.

Other countries have the chance to resume sports because they took the virus seriously, and enforced lockdown protocol to stem the spread. The US hasn't come close. That's why we're banned from the European Union.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Other countries have the chance to resume sports because they took the virus seriously, and enforced lockdown protocol to stem the spread. The US hasn't come close. That's why we're banned from the European Union.
And New Zealand...and Australia...and most, if not all, of the rest of the world.

·
Registered
749 Posts
One of the benefits of pandemic will be the freshness of the players. They will charge their batteries. Simona Halep said she was exhausted, and now she told journalists she will play 4-5 more years "at least".

In tennis this reset is welcomed, on the other hand in soccer and others sports they kept working.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
This is the ATP chief but WTA situation pretty much the same

We have many questions but few answers"
"Governments aren’t giving us any indication regarding [quarantine] exemptions for players"
"We need to understand that a tournament, especially in its late stages, can’t come to a halt because of a positive test"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It means that Sabalenka and Riske will rotate the Seoul slam between them.
As we can't avoid the neighboring big boy's impact by any means, it'll die out along with them when the upgraded version comes out and gets hot again.
Not quite sure if the entertainment biz will survive in the hardest time as before but still a practical idea to start over with localization respectively.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Spoke to WTA CEO Steve Simon about the tour’s scheduled return on Aug 3rd.

”What you’re trying to do is operate in a world that is imperfect right now and try to find whatever levels of fairness and opportunity you can in a very imperfect situation”

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spoke to WTA CEO Steve Simon about the tour’s scheduled return on Aug 3rd.

”What you’re trying to do is operate in a world that is imperfect right now and try to find whatever levels of fairness and opportunity you can in a very imperfect situation”

“And the only way you’re going to know if it’s going to work is to try it, and to trial it. So we have three events to start the year [Palermo, Prague and Kentucky], which we’re going to do irrespective of any decisions that are made. We’re going to evaluate those and then we will determine how the rest of the year progresses.
It's clear now why the WTA chose Kentucky instead of the Citi Open. The Citi Open wants to tie it's fate to the US Open, but the WTA wanted the event to be run regardless of what happens with the US Open. I still wish they could have found somewhere in the US in the North East to hold the tournament rather than the South.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's clear now why the WTA chose Kentucky instead of the Citi Open. The Citi Open wants to tie it's fate to the US Open, but the WTA wanted the event to be run regardless of what happens with the US Open. I still wish they could have found somewhere in the US in the North East to hold the tournament rather than the South.
The decision to split the Citi open combined tournament into two separate events, one for men still in Washington and one for women in Lexington seems to be based to ease the control of the event having to deal with a smaller number of people:

You were also looking at hosting a WTA Tour event but in the end it went to Kentucky. What happened?
We were committed to doing it – it’s important to me to showcase women’s tennis and we wanted to find a way to give women jobs – if we were the only option it didn’t seem right to not – and then I guess, the WTA and Octagon had been working on this other option and they made the decision to do that. I understand it and it may end up being a good idea, just having fewer people on a site is going to make it easier. The US Open are using the entire grounds for players – we don’t really have that kind of room. We would have made it work, it would have been fine and we were actually going to move the dates so it would have been less of a direct overlap, but putting them in separate places is probably sensible.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The decision to split the Citi open combined tournament into two separate events, one for men still in Washington and one for women in Lexington seems to be based to ease the control of the event having to deal with a smaller number of people:

...but still fears cancellation because of things beyond his control. ...
Well, he was right about that bit!

·
Registered
764 Posts
And yet, two days later, there is still nothing on either the WTA or ATP websites. That's a really poor look from the tour management teams. (n)(n)(n)
Bad management is the mark of WTA.
But the China swing cancelation is real:
Canceled Tournaments in China Are a Big Blow to Women’s Tennis
A move by the Chinese government to cancel international sporting events means the WTA Tour will lose its lucrative championships and six other tournaments.
(source: New York Times, 1 hour ago)

1181 - 1200 of 1230 Posts