Tennis Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1230 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
They are playing football in all the big leagues in Europe now, 22 players coming into close contact with each other for 90 minutes, and the ref.

No reason why two tennis players can't play tennis, and the US Open will happen, they need the money, it's sweet some people think they'd cancel it because of risks or morals.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
They are playing football in all the big leagues in Europe now, 22 players coming into close contact with each other for 90 minutes, and the ref.

No reason why two tennis players can't play tennis, and the US Open will happen, they need the money, it's sweet some people think they'd cancel it because of risks or morals.
You can't compare Europe to the USA. No way this comparable! The United States is 3 months behind Europe when it comes to the coronavirus. The big European Soccer Leagues are also playing with minimized travelling.

The biggest Issue for Tennis to resume is the travelling. I still expect large swaths of the WTA's Top 100 not travelling to the US because of safety concerns.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No, Johanna Konta doesn't make sense at all here.
The REALITY is it's waaay to soon to restart the Tour or both Tours to be precise.
2020 needs to be shut down and we need a fresh start in 2021.
You are as deluded as they come. The tours are absolutely coming back this year - they simply cannot afford not to.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Even though it's not fair for all players and maybe not 100% safe, i do think they need to start having tournaments again.

The WTA is a business and one that probably isn't popular enough to survive a full 18 month shut down. They do need to create opportunities for players to compete and earn money again.

If starting up now with some tournaments, even if some players cannot participate, means that the tour will survive and not crumble then I think it's what they need to do.

Tough decision but need to think long term as a business owner or there could potentially not be a wta at all.

Devise the fairest ranking system possible, try and get as many tournaments is as many locations going as possible. Let the players decide if they want to play or not. There may be some not allowed to participate but need to think long term for the tour

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Trump is looking for people like you.
I don't know what this means. I take the virus very seriously, and I also take very seriously the impact shutting the tour down for a prolonged period of time would have. The result of the latter would absolutely be apocalyptic for the WTA - we don't live in @TennisFed's fantasy world where we we can just shut everything down for the rest of the year+ and then resume again like nothing ever happened. Of course, if the danger to the players and the broader society was so large then the death of the WTA would tragically be the preferable outcome; thankfully, it's probably not impossible to resume the tour in a manner that makes the risk of the virus manageable.

We will very, very likely see the tours resume this year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can't compare Europe to the USA. No way this comparable! The United States is 3 months behind Europe when it comes to the coronavirus. The big European Soccer Leagues are also playing with minimized travelling.

The biggest Issue for Tennis to resume is the travelling. I still expect large swaths of the WTA's Top 100 not travelling to the US because of safety concerns.

the biggest European leagues are not playing with minimalised travelling, they have home and away matches, just with no fans, they're travelling all over the country to get to other teams stadia.

The US Open is going ahead so they obviously think they can make it work.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

This is the least problematic part of resuming the tours.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
the biggest European leagues are not playing with minimalised travelling, they have home and away matches, just with no fans, they're travelling all over the country to get to other teams stadia.

The US Open is going ahead so they obviously think they can make it work.
They are travelling around EUROPE. That is a massive, massive difference compared to Tennis Players who will have to travel from USA to Europe or from Australia like Barty via Asia or South Africa to Europe. Tennis Players travel from all over the world. Soccer Players playing the Big European Leagues are travelling within the European Union.

I'll give you an example: If someone like Neymar would want to travel to Brazil to see his friends and then play 5 Days later in Europe in a League Match Neymar would be instantly fired by his Club because of Safety and Danger.

Despite all the safety measures Airports have nowadays because of the pandemic chances that you'll get COVID-19 during transit travel is very, very high.

·
Registered
249 Posts
They are travelling around EUROPE. That is a massive, massive difference compared to Tennis Players who will have to travel from USA to Europe or from Australia like Barty via Asia or South Africa to Europe. Tennis Players travel from all over the world. Soccer Players playing the Big European Leagues are travelling within the European Union.

I'll give you an example: If someone like Neymar would want to travel to Brazil to see his friends and then play 5 Days later in Europe in a League Match Neymar would be instantly fired by his Club because of Safety and Danger.

Despite all the safety measures Airports have nowadays because of the pandemic chances that you'll get COVID-19 during transit travel is very, very high.
around Europe? you mean the continent with over 50 countries and 750 million people?

again, the US Open is still going ahead so not sure what the discussion is about, no chance they'd cancel.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
around Europe? you mean the continent with over 50 countries and 750 million people?

again, the US Open is still going ahead so not sure what the discussion is about, no chance they'd cancel.
Let's wait until the Middle of August before you make such a Declaration! They still could cancel if the cases spike in New York!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That's total nonsense from you. The US Swing will not be cancelled because of Novak's Adria Tour Fiasco but more likely because of the continuous spiking cases in the USA.
Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I meant in the sense that organisers may get paranoid about how many of the players are actually infected, given how easily the virus spread amongst the players and celebrities at the Adria tournaments. Nobody knows how many of the spectators got infected, or how much further the virus MAY have spread. Some tournaments whose financial viability might be in question could well use this as an excuse to cancel, in which case it is very much down to Djokovic and his team.

Edited to add: It's also extremely interesting to see in that quoted article that half the top players entered for Palermo and Prague aren't, at the moment, actually eligible to play because of travel restrictions. That's another excuse that the organisers can throw into the mix if they decide to cancel.
It is big crappola to restart the Tour in the USA. That was my opinion before the USTA announced that the US Open would go ahead AND it is my opinion now. It's too dangerous to play in the USA.
New York MIGHT be safe enough by the end of next month, with all the precautions that the USTA intend to implement. However, I'm really surprised that the tournaments in Florida are still continuing.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
I fear WTA will be next - looking at the figures / rates in the USA - the forecast is not promising. I was so looking forward to the USO but health and safety comes first. Fingers crossed for a good outcome all round. At least NYC seems a bit more under control??

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
I fear WTA will be next - looking at the figures / rates in the USA - the forecast is not promising. I was so looking forward to the USO but health and safety comes first. Fingers crossed for a good outcome all round. At least NYC seems a bit more under control??
As major league pitcher Sean Doolittle said

“Sports are the reward of a functioning society,” Sean Doolittle, a pitcher for the Washington Nationals, said on Sunday. “And we’re trying to just bring it back, even though we’ve taken none of the steps to flatten the curve.”
And that rings true. The US, unlike the European countries, never had an enforced lockdown. And there's plenty of people, including those in power, who don't take this virus seriously at all. They think their rights are being infringed upon when it comes to simply wearing a mask. We have states that opened well too soon, and cases skyrocketed. And when Dimitrov tested positive in Europe, the Adria Tour was cancelled immediately. Here in the states, when Francis Tiafoe tested positive at the DraftKings Team Cup in Atlanta, the tournament continued. Our virus response and behavior has been an absolute joke.

And with this country being banned from visiting the European Union because of our pisspoor virus response, I wonder how that will affect American players who want to play FO? Or players that come over here to play the USO? Will Europe allow them back immediately, or will they need to quarantine?

·
Registered
31,385 Posts

Mladenovic says she doesn't have her ESTA visa right now and will focus on the clay if she doesn't get it in time. She says she usually automatically get it within hours.

1161 - 1180 of 1230 Posts