Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 889 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts
Tommy Haas is saying that they are prepared to hold the tournament on another date and will explore options.

It will not be easy obviously.
Well... perhaps if the European Clay events get cancelled there may be a place in the schedule to play Indian Wells. Honestly though.... I don't see it happening. That said, I obviously do not mind being wrong either.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
From S Myles

One scenario that has been discussed – but clearly it’s too early to know if it has legs – is that Indian Wells and Miami might replace the Asian swing in the fall.

That this is even a possibility tells you how many ramifications the Corona virus is having on tennis. Not just tennis – every area of business and life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that's not a bad idea imo.

It's crazy to see that players are finding out it's cancelled through Twitter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same goes for over here in the UK, 278 cases atm but sporting events such as the Premier League are still carrying on with spectators allowed.
Having a 12-day tournament is a lot different from gathering people for a couple of hours a day once or twice a week. But even then I wouldn’t be surprised to see football matches here start to be played behind closed doors.

·
63,569 Posts
From S Myles

One scenario that has been discussed – but clearly it’s too early to know if it has legs – is that Indian Wells and Miami might replace the Asian swing in the fall.

That this is even a possibility tells you how many ramifications the Corona virus is having on tennis. Not just tennis – every area of business and life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Maybe just these two tournaments after the USO. Two weeks break between each tournament.

·
Registered
28,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
33,251 Posts
They are cancelling it based on one case of suspected local infection i.e. via community spread, and not travel history or contact with previously known cases. The tournament has a lot more to lose if they knowingly proceeded and ignited a huge cluster of cases. And I suspect this was a state decision that the tournament couldn't disobey anyway.
Yeah. Well said. Still very sad and disappointing though. But of course even though I understand when people say it feels like an over-reaction, the truth is this is a decision that was clearly made by people who were in a position of great responsibility and we can't criticise them for actually taking responsible actions, even if those actions do sadly deprive us of our tennis. :cry:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Live nation is considering canceling their concerts, to include Coachella. Ultra Miami was cancelled. Not good.
I am not surprised! We all know how crazy it gets at Coachella - reckless sex with strangers, the drinking & smoking and so much physical contact. That's one of the last places I'd want to be, lol. People from all of the world attend those music festivals.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Having a 12-day tournament is a lot different from gathering people for a couple of hours a day once or twice a week. But even then I wouldn’t be surprised to see football matches here start to be played behind closed doors.
Cancellations will pick up at some point but I expected this to take hold around Clay season.

Cancelling just because of one case is an overreaction.

Take the Premier League for example, Manchester has five cases, Manchester Derby still went ahead yesterday and so will other sporting events not just in England but the US.

·
33,251 Posts
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Maybe just these two tournaments after the USO. Two weeks break between each tournament.
I suppose that might actually be possible. Of course it depends a lot how Covid-19 progresses over the next few months. Who knows? In six months time, China might be relatively free of the virus while the Indian Wells and Miami areas might be struggling. We really have no idea what the picture will look like in 6 months. That said, such an idea might actually work out quite well if circumstances allow for it.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

So coronavirus has overtaken the tour. The question now is, what tournaments can be held and where? If Indian Wells is out, so is Miami, Stuttgart, the whole European clay season? Will Charleston go ahead? The rankings etc will be a mess - look at the current race rankings and see what will happen if there are no events for months..

1 Kenin
2 Muguruza
3 Barty
5 Rybakina
10 Alexandrova
17 Watson
23 Brady
24 Serena
25 Rus
28 Begu
33 Dodin
36 Osaka
40 Leylah Fernandez
41 Kerber
89 Vondrousova
119 Muchova
129 Konta
130 Bains
253 Sloane Stephens
309 Hsieh
479 Sevastova
508 Venus
849 Clijsters
956 Azarenka

·
Registered
31,007 Posts
Look, there's no way in HELL that Wuhan will be held this year.

IW and Miami may be the obvious replacement but it will only happen if the ATP agrees. If they feel like they can scrap their Chinese tournaments and go ahead with the European indoors swing and the Laver Cup, that's it for the WTA.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
That's for the best. Sucks for tennis fans but holding the event in the middle of one of the worst global health crisis that has affected millions isn't a good idea. Life trumps tennis, unfortunately. Hopefully, Miami is still on as scheduled. But looking at how things unfold around the world, more events are expected to get cancelled as well.
Covid 19 is in Florida.

41 - 60 of 889 Posts