Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
WTA and ATP are now on hold. Omg.

I figured this would happen. I have family in California and like, it definitely wouldn't have been safe to continue the tournament there. And unfortunately, tennis isn't a sport (like football/soccer) where tournaments can continue without the money from spectators. I really don't know when the tour will resume. Clay season is mostly in Europe and that can't happen. WTA need to start thinking about how to freeze rankings, put the tour on hold, etc. and continue at a later date.

·
Registered
52,304 Posts
Wow!!!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
They are cancelling it based on one case of suspected local infection i.e. via community spread, and not travel history or contact with previously known cases. The tournament has a lot more to lose if they knowingly proceeded and ignited a huge cluster of cases. And I suspect this was a state decision that the tournament couldn't disobey anyway.

·
Registered
31,009 Posts
Hopefully the hotels and the airlines will accommodate the fans - and the players. Some fans have been know to buy tickets for each session from the first Monday to the final weekend.

Miami is likely to be next. Then there's the Fed Cup Finals and Stuttgart (both indoors tournaments - yikes). Rome isn't look either.

What will happen to the rankings? They can't really say everyone get to keep their 2019 points through the 2021 season, can't they?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Just saw this on twitter. I'm pretty surprised and disappointed. So all the players will lose points? If this carries on and more events are cancelled what will happen to the tours? I don't see where space could be found in the calendar to reschedule.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Bit of an overreaction just because of one case.

There’s cases all over America, sporting events such as the NBA are still going on with spectators allowed.

Same goes for over here in the UK, 278 cases atm but sporting events such as the Premier League are still carrying on with spectators allowed.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,283 Posts
They cancelled this event because of ONE case identified in the entire county. Riverside County is huge. This isn't like Italy or China or Iran and not even as serious as other parts of California. Overreaction.
Possibly. It does, on the surface feel like that. But then again the people who make these decisions are under a lot of pressure and nobody wants to be responsible for causing a possibly substantial amount of people to die. That really is what it comes down to in the end. In a situation like this it is understandable that the decision would veer towards the "better safe than sorry" maxim.

As a tennis fan it does feel pretty sad to have the rug pulled out on a tournament I was very much looking forward too. I'm sure the players feel the same. But this is the unfortunate circumstances that this world is currently facing and I'm afraid we are going to have to get used to disappointments like this. Yeah, it sucks. But we are just going to have to live with it and get through it. Covid-19 won't be with us forever. But it sure looks like it is going to be a bastard for the next few months. Dammit.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Till when? Next year, same time same place? Probably.
From S Myles

One scenario that has been discussed – but clearly it’s too early to know if it has legs – is that Indian Wells and Miami might replace the Asian swing in the fall.

That this is even a possibility tells you how many ramifications the Corona virus is having on tennis. Not just tennis – every area of business and life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 893 Posts