Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
89,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Margaret Court: 'It won't be easy for Serena Williams to beat my Grand Slams record

'She needs to win other three to pass me and you know that it's not easy,' the 74-year-old said. 'It surprises me that she plays a very few events outside the Slams.'
'I think that no player will be able to beat my record of 64 Grand Slam titles in total, but if someone will win more than 24 in singles, well, she will deserve it. But I could have won some more, because I lost finals where I was a very few points away from winning,'
'While I was playing, I didn't even know how many I had won. I didn't know it until when commentators and journalists revealed it. I knew about my record only a couple of years after stopping playing.'
'Many people think none of the best players came to Australia. Serena said it as well, but it's not true. Bueno came, as well as Christine Truman. When I was 17 I beat Bueno at quarter-finals level. It's a little bit said that amateur tennis of those years is a little bit underestimated. They can't forget that I won 11 Slam titles in the Open Era. I see that there are many awards for Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall, while for the women's tennis they want to speak only about the players who played in the Open Era. But I feel that at my times many players were better than now.'
:help: :facepalm:

·
Registered
23,499 Posts
64 slams in total. sometimes folks really tend to forget how good of a player court actually was, that's just an astonishing number. :eek:

·
Registered
89,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She said some true things, i see no shades, so no facepalm needed actually.
What? Certainly nobody cares about her slams with sometimes 4 other player in the draw :lol:

Reactions: Escapist

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Wow, I can't believe she said all that. It almost has a desperate tone to it.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
Court said some good things and some eh...things. She's right it won't be easy but she's kidding herself if she thinks her record means as much as Graf's or Serena's records (she's also crazy if she thinks her players were better than players today)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Court is wrong because she didn't take the lack of the real competition into account. In this weak era Serena's already inflated slam number can get to 30 and she will still be able to win slams in her 40s.

Too bad that Serena isn't good enough to dominate this era properly and break weeks at #1 record.

·
Registered
89,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: BootsWGD and Brens

·
Registered
89,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Court is wrong because she didn't take the lack of the real competition into account. In this weak era Serena's already inflated slam number can get to 30 and she will still be able to win slams in her 40s.

Too bad that Serena isn't good enough to dominate this era properly and break weeks at #1 record.
:help:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Court said some good things and some eh...things. She's right it won't be easy but she's kidding herself if she thinks her record means as much as Graf's or Serena's records (she's also crazy if she thinks her players were better than players today)
You're kidding yourself if you think her record doesn't mean as much.
1) The Pro/amateur distinction pre-open era is hardly her fault. She still prove herself several times over in the Open era. It doesn't diminish her record at all, just as Rod Laver is highly respected despite his accomplishments that pre-date the Open era.
2) And this is her even more convincing point and one I always point out - she was a woman who set markers rather than chasing targets like Serena. That puts the chaser at an advantage. If Serena didn't have records to chase, she probably would have retired long ago. She has committed herself to the sport far more than the mid 00's as the records of BJK, then Chris and Martina, then Graf came into focus. Margaret Court was a woman in a league of her own who even had the luxuries of raising a family and still dominating the sport.

·
Registered
14,001 Posts
The second quote :spit:

Anyone who has played in a large number of slam finals can say the same thing.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I kind of agree with her that it's not going to be easy but the crap about the Aussie open not being weak i mean come on!

Reactions: Saraya!

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
You're kidding yourself if you think her record doesn't mean as much.
1) The Pro/amateur distinction pre-open era is hardly her fault. She still prove herself several times over in the Open era. It doesn't diminish her record at all, just as Rod Laver is highly respected despite his accomplishments that pre-date the Open era.
2) And this is her even more convincing point and one I always point out - she was a woman who set markers rather than chasing targets like Serena. That puts the chaser at an advantage. If Serena didn't have records to chase, she probably would have retired long ago. She has committed herself to the sport far more than the mid 00's as the records of BJK, then Chris and Martina, then Graf came into focus. Margaret Court was a woman in a league of her own who even had the luxuries of raising a family and still dominating the sport.
Just no.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
It's hard to win a shitload of slams?

Reactions: VeeJJ
1 - 20 of 148 Posts