Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing on TV that Sharapova's family moved out of Siberia to escape the Chernobyl disaster etc. etc.

Chernobyl isn't in Siberia but is in the Ukraine. The areas affected by radiation didn't even extend very far into present day Russia.

The Sharapova family moved to the Black Sea in 1989, three years after Chrernoby. That is even closer to the affected area, but if they were on the Russian part of the Black Sea, it was still no problem.

Maria didn't move to the US until 1995.

So, I'm curious where did this little tidbit of information get put into all of the press about Sharapova. I heard about it one day on TV and got so confused because I had always thought Chernobyl was in the Ukraine not so far from Kiev.

There was an underground nuclear test in Siberia the year Sharapova was born. Is this the genesis of this little piece of disinformation?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
16,153 Posts
Same for me .. Cherboynl is NO where near Siberia .. closer to Moscow .. and affected much of Upper Ukraine,southern Belarus and that area .. but her family may have been affected by the gasses spread .. it is even linked to the 30% increase of US children born with Lukemia

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've lived in Kiev until 1993, means for 7 years after Chernobyl. It was not as threatening, as it seems from far away.

Well, maybe the leucemia numbers were relatively high for a while, but this didn't had a greater impact on the city's life. Except that one shouldn't collect mashrooms in the forests outside the city. But, as previously, there live 2,6 millions in the city and the life is just as everywhere. Even in 1986 hardly anyone thought of moving because of radiation.

I don't think her parents' moving to Siberia had to do with Chernobyl. It sounds like an invention from the yellow press to make her bio sound more "exciting".

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Voevoda said:
I've lived in Kiev until 1993, means for 7 years after Chernobyl. It was not as threatening, as it seems from far away.

Well, maybe the cancer numbers were relatively high for a while, but this didn't had a greater impact on the city's life. Except that one shouldn't collect mashrooms in the forests outside the city. But, as previously, there live 2,6 millions in the city and the life is just as everywhere. Even in 1986 hardly anyone thought of moving because of radiation.

I don't think her parents' moving to Siberia had to do with Chernobyl. It sounds like an invention from the yellow press to make her bio sound more "exciting".
no no. I'm sorry you misunderstood me. The report was that the family had moved away from Sibera to escape Chernobyl. Not that they had moved TO Siberia to escape Chernobyl.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Voevoda said:

Well, maybe the cancer numbers were relatively high for a while, but this didn't had a greater impact on the city's life. Except that one shouldn't collect mashrooms in the forests outside the city. But, as previously, there live 2,6 millions in the city and the life is just as everywhere. Even in 1986 hardly anyone thought of moving because of radiation.

no no. I'm sorry you misunderstood me. The report was that the family had moved away from Sibera to escape Chernobyl. Not that they had moved TO Siberia to escape Chernobyl.

·
16,153 Posts
Voevoda said:
It hardly had anything to do in Kiev(like disease wise) after 89

·
Registered
63 Posts
starr said:
Oh, I see.

In German television they told her parents moved to Siberia to escape Chernobyl one year before her birth.

·
16,153 Posts
she was born in Siberia if you look at profile .. so why would she move from Siberia to Siberia

:rolleyes: German TV :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
stacyh5 said:
That makes a lot more sense. But Siberia????
May be they found some work there.

Siberia has a great scientific potential. There are some cities like Akademgorodok built specially for scientists. What profession does her father have?

@ pointblank

they moved before her birth. Please read more carefully.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
stacyh5 said:
In the old Sovijet, you could not move to where ever you liked. when you moved from one place to another it had to be to gain the society. In return you was garanteed a job and school or kindergarten for the children. Sharapov was probably offered to move to Nyangan (?) in West Sibir.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
For your information:

...Tough like her parents, who were expecting their first (and only) child when they fled Belarus for Siberia in 1986 to avoid radiation from the Chernobyl disaster...

...Sharapova was born in western Siberia, in a town called Nyagan. [When she was 2 years old], her family moved to Sochi, a resort town on the Black Sea...
Thank you for your interest.

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts
Media like to bring up some fantasy angle........ like they probably make a movie out of it :rolleyes:

Masha moved from Siberia to Sochi on the Black sea coast, thats where Yevgeny Kafelnikov gave Masha one of his racquets, Masha was about 4 then.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
it's the same kind of disingenious invention as the statement that Richard coached his daughters (with no mention of Rick Maaci). it makes for a more interesting story.

nice catch starr :worship:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
...thats where Yevgeny Kafelnikov gave Masha one of his racquets...
Was it Yevgeny Kafelnikov's father or Yevgeny himself?

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts
MaSharapovaFan said:
Was it Yevgeny Kafelnikov's father or Yevgeny himself?
pretty sure it was Yevgeny.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
stacyh5 said:
It was a perfectly understandable move. According to the press and online articles, Masha's granny had been living in Siberia (most likely in Nyagan) at the time.

Voevoda said:
May be they found some work there.
Siberia has a great scientific potential. There are some cities like Akademgorodok built specially for scientists. What profession does her father have?
Well, Siberia is a vast territory. Akademgorodok is a tiny satellite of the Novosibirsk city and is about a few hundred kilometers southeast from Nyagan. I've read somewhere that Yury had a job in oil field industry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts